Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any risk here for my dog

• 21-01-2014 6:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

my bulldog loves to lie beside the fireplace in my living room but like most bulldogs he has a low tolerance for extreme heat , he appears like he is almost ready to pass out after lying in front of the fire for any length of time , I sometimes bring him in water and he empties the bowl , his jowls go all droopy

is their any real risk here to my dogs health , ive tried dragging him away from it but he,s like a moth to the flame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

One of my dogs lies on the hearth beside the stove and cooks. he staggers away from it at intervals, goes has a drink, lies on the tiles, then trots back to the stove. This goes on every evening, all evening long! He used to go UNDER :eek: the stove, but we put a log underneath to stop that. We put a fire guard around the stove to stop him getting too near. Maybe you need something similar for your dog? I would have a bowl of water close by the dog (rather than you having to go and get one/bring it to him) - unless hes completely brain-dead, like mine, from the heat?!

I dont know if there is any risk to your bulldog - more knowledgable boardies will be along to answer that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 fork_handle

aonb wrote: »
    One of my dogs lies on the hearth beside the stove and cooks. he staggers away from it at intervals, goes has a drink, lies on the tiles, then trots back to the stove. This goes on every evening, all evening long! He used to go UNDER :eek: the stove, but we put a log underneath to stop that. We put a fire guard around the stove to stop him getting too near. Maybe you need something similar for your dog? I would have a bowl of water close by the dog (rather than you having to go and get one/bring it to him) - unless hes completely brain-dead, like mine, from the heat?!

I dont know if there is any risk to your bulldog - more knowledgable boardies will be along to answer that one.

bulldogs are very susceptible to heat stroke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

My cocker x has been known to sleep so close to the stove that the hair on his head starts to singe. He has the option to move somewhere cooler and there's fresh running water available 24/7 with the cat water fountain but he shows very little interest.

He's been cooking himself for seventeen years now so we've pretty much given up. He'll move if you make him but he'll be back sitting in front of the stove staring at the flames as soon as your back is turned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

My cousins had a ****zu that would climb up onto a narrow raised hearth to be close to the fire, would eventually doze off / pass out from the heat, fall off, give a bemused look around and climb back up. Lived to 16!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

My lab does the same. Conks out by the fire, eventually plods over to the door and lies by the draught for awhile, then has enough of that and goes back to the fire, and on and on and on... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement