Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering job share - salary?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Just looking for some idea of what happens to a salary when you go on job share if anyone here has any experience of it?
    It sounds a bit too simple to think it's just half my salary - does tax affect it in any way so it works out more than half or less etc?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Unless you want to hand over some fairly personal information I'd say it's very hard to say.

Use a tax calculator to work it out

http://www.deloitte.ie/tc/

or

http://www.pwc.ie/budget/2014/calculator.jhtml

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Thanks for that! Didn't even think of googling to help with the tax, just tried to figure it out myself :rolleyes: :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Depending on what you earn you should come out with more then half your salary as your tax liability will be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

As you are losing the top half of your salary tax should be a lot less.

Thanks for that Moonbeam and maringo. I figured that would be the case but wasn't too sure if I was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Out of curiosity OP, what kind of organisation are you working in that still has job-sharing? Haven't seen it being allowed since the Celtic Tiger days!

Teaching- and of course it's not a guarantee it would be granted but it's still open for applicants. I guess financially it's a no brainer for the government, usually the other half goes to a newer entrant so lower wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Lots of public sector places are glad to save money on job share arrangements.

Very true lazygal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It can work out extremely well if you have to factor childcare into it. Plenty of people with kids are job sharing with someone else who has kids and minding each others' kids on the days they're not working. No/reduced childcare costs and taking home a higher percentage of gross pay means some people are ending up better off than when they were full time.

• Advertisement

theLuggage wrote: »
    Teaching- and of course it's not a guarantee it would be granted but it's still open for applicants. I guess financially it's a no brainer for the government, usually the other half goes to a newer entrant so lower wages.
    Wow! I'm amazed that such an option is available for teachers. It's not a career I'd have thought particularly suitable for the granting of such an arrangement!

How does it work? week on week off? Or is it a secondary school with a fortnightly timetable that schedules your classes to match your working days?

I'd love to be able to wish you luck with getting it but, assuming my suspicion is correct and that you and your fellow job-sharer would be jumping in and out of the classroom every second week, I don't think I'd be happy about it were my kids put in that position... It also seems a little unfair that new entrants who in my experience usually want full time employment end up only being offered half a job for less than half the salary of the person doing the other half of it...

If my assumptions are wrong and you availing of such a scheme wouldn't result in a regular disruption to the students education and that there are others who'd prefer a job-share to the full hours I wish you all the best with it. Otherwise I'd ask you to think about either staying on full-time or leaving the profession entirely if it's no longer something you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sleepy wrote: »
    Wow! I'm amazed that such an option is available for teachers. It's not a career I'd have thought particularly suitable for the granting of such an arrangement!

How does it work? week on week off? Or is it a secondary school with a fortnightly timetable that schedules your classes to match your working days?

I'd love to be able to wish you luck with getting it but, assuming my suspicion is correct and that you and your fellow job-sharer would be jumping in and out of the classroom every second week, I don't think I'd be happy about it were my kids put in that position... It also seems a little unfair that new entrants who in my experience usually want full time employment end up only being offered half a job for less than half the salary of the person doing the other half of it...

If my assumptions are wrong and you availing of such a scheme wouldn't result in a regular disruption to the students education and that there are others who'd prefer a job-share to the full hours I wish you all the best with it. Otherwise I'd ask you to think about either staying on full-time or leaving the profession entirely if it's no longer something you want to do.

When I was in school there were maths teachers in a job share. We had one of them on Mondays and Tuesdays and the other on Thursdays and Fridays or something like that. Not disruptive at all. They split which topics they'd be covering between themselves an your homework from one teacher wouldn't be corrected by the other one - it'd be due for the next time you had that teacher. Honestly, it was fine. Not sure how it would work with all subjects, though.

At the risk of going further OT, the lack of continuity puts a teacher in the position where it's far him/her harder to identify that pupil A who struggled with a concept on Tuesday might need a little extra attention during the Thursday class... Honestly, there aren't many positions that job-sharing is suitable for outside of roles involving highly structured and repetitive processes or unskilled workl e.g. production line work, labouring etc..

Sleepy wrote: »

Wow! I'm amazed at the assumption that's it's a profession that I no longer want to do. Bit presumptuous on your part :rolleyes:

Your assumptions are also incorrect btw. Job sharing works in various forms in teaching, little miss no stars gives one example. There is no lack of continuity issue there. Think you missed the part where topics would be split in that scenario. If I'm teaching geometry say on Mondays and Tuesdays, then I'll spot a student with a problem the next Monday/Tuesday. The teacher on Thurs and Friday does a different topic and would be watching for difficulties with their topic on their days. Apart from the fact that two teachers would be communicating regularly.

Anyway it's a bit off topic. Thanks for the replies. If a mod could close this now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I have had the experience of job-sharing for about 3 years. I found that with good communication it worked out very well. I also think our employer benefitted from having two people who were fresh and eager to tackle the heavy workload. Prior to job-sharing I had found myself burnt out by the time Friday arrived. Good luck with job-sharing if you decide to do it.:)

Advertisement