Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL in China. Your experiences?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I have just finished an online TEFL course as of yesterday and I am looking to teach English in China for a year. My preferred areas to travel would be in the Guangdong province or in/around Shanghai. I was just wondering if anyone has thought in China before and if anyone has any info regarding where to apply etc.

I have looked at Dave's ESL and a number of other sites and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with any schools in particular that they could recommend?

I am looking to travel as soon as possible but I understand it can take up to 8 weeks due to travel injections etc

Any help is much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

hi,

i'm currently in China.

There is actually a thread in the China forum here about TEFL in China. Sorry i can't link to it right now. (one of the joys of China is annoying internet :rolleyes:)

I don't have any specfic school recommendations. Just make sure they are bringing you over on a z visa because the regulations have gotten tighter recently and it's not advisable to teach on a tourist or business visa.

Think about your reasons for coming here, too. I worked in Korea for almost 2 years before this and i must say that i'm finding China quite boring in comparisson. One of the reasons is the pollution. You have to spend a lot of time inside advoiding it. What has attracted you to china?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 panalava

Thanks for the reply! I suppose the culture is what attracted me. I would like to travel in the mainland in China when I am there as well to see other parts of the country.

I've heard a lot about the problems about the pollution. Where in China are you? I will be traveling on the Z-visa in any case. The company I have applied with gave me advice regarding the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I'm in Hangzhou. The pollution is terrible, i went travelling this week because it is the New Year holidays and i may as well have stayed at home and looked out at the smog. In fairness, i did get one nice day where it wasn't so smoggy that you could barely see 15feet in front of you.

Maybe southern China is less polluted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i spent 6 months tacking in Korea, then 6 months traveling in China , then6 months teaching in Taiwan.
    you dont have to be based in china to travel there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

panalava wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have just finished an online TEFL course as of yesterday and I am looking to teach English in China for a year. My preferred areas to travel would be in the Guangdong province or in/around Shanghai. I was just wondering if anyone has thought in China before and if anyone has any info regarding where to apply etc.

I have looked at Dave's ESL and a number of other sites and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with any schools in particular that they could recommend?

I am looking to travel as soon as possible but I understand it can take up to 8 weeks due to travel injections etc

Any help is much appreciated!!
    Did you go? My gf lives in shanghai and I am thinking of going over and try live there and teach English, I just finished a psychology degree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement