Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the duffest managers in football

• 21-01-2014 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Paul Ince took another step into the Dowie zone today with his Blackpool dismissal, who do you think are the managers that don't cut the mustard, a few of mine.

Terry Venables : Good spells with England and Barca, but woeful in other jobs.

Roy Keane : I think he'll get another chance but his signings at S'land and Ipswich showed a poor judge of player.

Malcolm Allison : For the older readers, good coach with Mercer during City's last purple patch but a joke as a manager.

Kenny Dalglish : Seemed to jump the shark in the same way that George Graham and Howard Wilkinson did in later jobs.

John Barnes : Gives out about not getting jobs but I think his Celtic and Tranmere debacles rendered him toxic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Steve Staunton.

No bigger then that useless pile of.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Sven Goran Erikkson.

Had a few good seasons a couple of decades ago, seems to be living off that reputation and making a killing off it ever since.....and yes I'm jealous of him for giving Ulrikka J. one. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dd972 wrote: »
    Kenny Dalglish

? He won the Premier League with a team that he took from the second division? Also 3 league titles with Liverpool.

Souness is the manager you're thinking of...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I stopped reading when I read Kenny Dalglish in the same sentence as Howard Wilkinson and George Graham.

also wtf does "duffest" mean and "dowie zone" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Graeme Souness.
    Sam Allardyce
    Phil Brown
    Glenn Roeder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Alan Matthews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I stopped reading when I read Kenny Dalglish in the same sentence as Howard Wilkinson and George Graham.

Why? Leaving Wilkinson aside, Graham did an excellent job at Arsenal over a long period, bringing a lot of success to the club

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Why? Leaving Wilkinson aside, Graham did an excellent job at Arsenal over a long period, bringing a lot of success to the club

Sucessful yea but nowhere near Dalglish record and I personally don't like corruption in the game, so that's another aspect why I wouldn't compare them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Terry Venables - last manager to have England playing something that resembled football, s-f at Euro 96, got QPR and Palace promoted with good finishes in the top division after their promotion, won the league with Barca in 85 (first time since 74) and the Spanish Cup, got to 86 European Cup final, won a FA Cup with Spurs and kept an awful middlesborough side up after Bryan Robson nearly sank them.

Terrible CV.

Allardyce has been poison for West Ham but did keep a struggling Bolton side in the top division for years.

Sucessful yea but nowhere near Dalglish record and I personally don't like corruption in the game, so that's another aspect why I wouldn't compare them.

Graham won a few league titles, a cup winners cup and the cup double at Arsenal. That is quiet close to what Dalglish won.

The corruption is irrelevant to a discussion on the managerial abilities/achievements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

AVB, anyone...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Surely this list should not include anyone who has won the top division of the league in which they managed?

The corruption is irrelevant to a discussion on the managerial abilities/achievements

Not for me its not but I will leave it that so the thread can continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I am pie wrote: »
    Surely this list should not include anyone who has won the top division of the league in which they managed?

It can if said team as a shoe-in for the division in question.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

There are a fair few absolute spoofers, of which Paul Ince is only the latest. Would echo previous nominations of Graeme Souness and John Barnes, though I think Mark Hughes is being found out as well.

Sven
    Kenny Dalglish
    AvB
    Venables

??

Surely these managers can't be counted as "duffers" ( I'm assuming it means hopeless?) Won league titles/cups/european trophies. Insane choices.

Steve Staunton as mentioned is the standout one for me. Poor chap was completely out of his depth. Looked like a guy dragged in of the street/boards when in charge of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Alex McLeish is worth a mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

also wtf does "duffest" mean amd "dowie zone" ?

George Graham won nearly as much as Dalglish, he should be in the same sentence. Just not in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ince only got the job because of his son (and behaved pretty dodgy when trying to flog him to Swansea). He'll be throwing out the race card in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He'll be throwing out the race card in a few weeks.
    Bit of a ridiculous jump to a conclusion there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Paul Ince took another step into the Dowie zone today with his Blackpool dismissal, who do you think are the managers that don't cut the mustard, a few of mine.

Roy Keane : I think he'll get another chance but his signings at S'land and Ipswich showed a poor judge of player.

Malcolm Allison : For the older readers, good coach with Mercer during City's last purple patch but a joke as a manager.

Kenny Dalglish : Seemed to jump the shark in the same way that George Graham and Howard Wilkinson did in later jobs.

John Barnes : Gives out about not getting jobs but I think his Celtic and Tranmere debacles rendered him toxic.

Kenny dalglish gtfo. He won the double as player manager something that no other manager has done.

To mention that man in the same bracket as the others is just face palm.

rob316 wrote: »
    Kenny dalglish gtfo. He won the double as player manager something that no other manager has done.

His successor did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alan Ball

Blackpool (left them in poor state before they dropped)
    Portsmouth (dropped but he also took up to be fair!)
    Stoke City (was assistant who took over, left after poor run but stayed up)
    Exeter City (left them in a terrible state before they dropped)
    Southampton (kept them up and left them midtable)
    Man City (relegated on goal difference)
    Portsmouth (didn't relegate them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Alan Pardew
    John Gregory
    David O'Leary
    Gary Megson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Sean mc caffery at dundalk 2years ago I'm still trying to get over how bad that man was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His successor did it.

Huh?

rob316 wrote: »
    Huh?

Souness was player-manager at rangers & won the double

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

At LOI level. Alan Matthews and Pat Scully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Bryan Robson maybe, wasn't a success at any of the clubs he managed really.

David Moyes. :P

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I'd like to think Neil Warnock because I hate him but hes gotten a few teams up. Hes in above his head in the premier league though.

and yeah, Paul Ince and Kenny Dalglish don't belong in the same bracket of anything ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Claude Anelka has to be one of the more amusing management appointments. He actually paid Raith Rovers £300k to become their manager. 7 defeats and 1 draw later he was sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What about Avram Grant? He didn't even have UEFA coaching badges when he took over Chelsea.

However saying that, he reached CL final, league cup final and finished second in the league so I'm torn as to whether he qualifies. My feeling was always that he was a bit of a spoofer, friend of the owner, and it was Steve Clarke and Henk ten Cate who had as much of a first team influence

Joe Kinnear also springs to mind. Been around the game a long long time but he's gotta be lucky to still be involved with a PL club this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Alan Matthews

Why did it take 7 posts to mention him? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Graham Souness for picking "George Weahs" cousin when he was at Southampton.

Steve Kean did a crap job with Blackburn Rovers.

Rudd Gullit was another useless manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Aidy Boothroyd. Suppose to be the next best thing in homegrown managers. Played an absolutely rancid style of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dave bassett always struck me as someone who stumbled thru management telling people to go run around a bit and score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

LOI, Sean Connor, ultimate spoofer.

Train wreck of a thread for the most part, some people shouldn't start threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Big Sam?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Big Sam?

Its fashionable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Phil Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Always thought David O'Leary was a bluffer, Walter Smith got found out at Everton as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Paul Ince has one of the better agents out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Oat23 wrote: »
    Mido.

Is he managing now?

ha! that has disaster all over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Owen Coyle - talks absolute rubbish half the time.
    Tony Adams
    Paul Sturrock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Domenech
    Staunton
    O'Leary

3 that spring to mind immediately. Plenty more out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Glenn Roeder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tony Adams the worst one of all!!!

I'd give Bryan Robson a good mention too

Lou Macari in his time was awful too and always seems to sound like a bitter old man when co-commentating on games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very poor record for sure. Did well in League Two to save Macclesfield from relegation and get MK Dons promoted. But everything from Blackburn on has been a disaster.

'Woeful' in other jobs? That's incorrect sir. Basically Venables enjoyed a very good career up until Leeds in 2002, and has essentially been out of the game for the majority of the last decade.

Took Sunderland from bottom of the Championship through winning the Championship and survival in his first Premiership season. Didn't get into the playoffs with Ipswich but didn't come near relegating them either. He deserves another chance in league football on the basis of what he's done thus far.

Not in a position to comment.

Won the league with two different clubs. Had a disappointing tenure at Celtic, failed to hit expectations at Newcastle. Won a trophy in his second spell at Liverpool. A very good career under his belt all told.

Poor record, no arguments there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Oh FFS.
    Ever hear about his spells at Palace or QPR ?
    And a good spell with England and Barca signify a hell of a lot about how someone can cope with huge pressure and expectation.

Jaysus you know that football existed before the last few years of sky coverage.
    Daglish's last stint at manager may not have worked out, but winning major leagues and cups with two different clubs must fooking count that a manager was a success.

Look up the history of Arsenal and see the success Graham had.
    They may have been boring, but they were damm hard to beat and challenghed or won majpr honours.
    Oh and the defense he had built became the bedrock of the early Wenger teams.

All you appear to be doing is listing managers who failed in one of their jobs in their later career.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
Advertisement