Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the duffest managers in football

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Avram Grant. Howard Wilkinson was fairly terrible aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

John Gregory is one whose career has been on quite a downward trajectory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gregory_%28footballer%29

but best of all must be John Sitten:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

031510-6-phil-brown-goatee.jpg%3Fw%3D420%26h%3D296

You rang?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sean "Blackie" Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Loving the outrage from Liverpool fans at Dalglish being mentioned.

The guy looked a complete dinosaur in his second spell at Liverpool. Tarnished a lot of the success he had previously.

My pick would be Mark Hughes. How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me. He must be very good at interviews...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Frank Rijkaard.

Couldnt win Euro2000 in his own country with a team that finished 4th 2 years earlier in the WC
    Got Sparta Rotterdam relegated in for the first time in their history, soemthing they still havent recovered from.

Yes, he had succes with Barca but so would anyone from the mustard forum with that squad.

Take that away and you really have to wonder why he is quite often mentioned for rather high profile jobs.

He is a nice guy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

We have learnt one thing from this thread at least.......... a hell of alot of posters here havent the foggiest what the fcuk they are talking about, either that or ''duffest'' has led to all sorts of confusion.

Daglish, Graham, Venables, Grant, Rijkaard :D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

quarryman wrote: »

The guy looked a complete dinosaur in his second spell at Liverpool. Tarnished a lot of the success he had previously.

oh yeah its completely tarnished man. like all that success he had was tarnished. definitely. good word for it that, "tarnished". man, you are so on the ball

BMMachine wrote: »
    oh yeah its completely tarnished man. like all that success he had was tarnished. definitely. good word for it that, "tarnished". man, you are so on the ball

While I agree with your sentiment, that has to be the worst constructed post ever. My eyes bleed trying to read it.

• Advertisement

While I agree with your sentiment, that has to be the worst constructed post ever. My eyes bleed trying to read it.

that was the point :) its almost like I wrote that with my arse isn't it

that was the point :) its almost like I wrote that with my arse isn't it

You have a way with words for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

like all that success he had was tarnished. definitely.

That part of your post indicates you don't actually understand the meaning of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Glenn Hoddle.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Paul le Guen, built up a great reputation at Lyon and was tipped to manage a top side. Rangers seemed to pull off a massive coup to land him but from there it went downhill very quickly.

Didn't last too long at PSG either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

i agree, never heard those terms before.
    Think he was referring to kenny's second time in charge, where i would be inclined to agree as regards 'jumping the shark'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What a strange thread. You have some genuine duffers mentioned, and then you have people who have won multiple league titles and cups?

I thought this thread would be about people like Paul Ince, people who have never achieved anything in management yet still seem to get hired again and again. But instead people are nominating George Graham and Kenny Daglish?

Duffers like Ince could only dream of winning multiple league titles like Graham and Daglish did.

That part of your post indicates you don't actually understand the meaning of the word.

oh clearly man. who the hell does understand such a complex word as tarnished? some sort of rocket doctor I would imagine. I mean, your opinion on Dalglish is coming from a very clear and balanced standpoint, I mean look at this quote:
    "Loving the outrage from Liverpool fans at Dalglish being mentioned." That clearly indicates that you can give a concise opinion on the career and image of the man without any bias called into question. Theres clearly a ton of weight behind it and there is absolutely no way that you are talking out of your ass. No way Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    i agree, never heard those terms before.
    Think he was referring to kenny's second time in charge, where i would be inclined to agree as regards 'jumping the shark'

Duff = Useless

Dowie = Ugly Nordie who couldn't manage a PS2 football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Have to be careful calling certain managers duds. Football has left some behind but that doesn't mean in their day they weren't decent. They just never adapted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Michael Appleton. Everything he touched turned to sh/te. Sacked from jobs at Portsmouth and Blackburn, left Blackburn after only 60 days.

• Advertisement

Peter Taylor, ruined Martin O'Neill decent mid 90's Leicester side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I am pie wrote: »
    Surely this list should not include anyone who has won the top division of the league in which they managed?
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Alex McLeish is worth a mention

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

:-)

Probably should clarify it to 'any manager who managed in the top division of a league that isn't basically a pub league'.

dd972 wrote: »
    Peter Taylor, ruined Martin O'Neill decent mid 90's Leicester side.

All Martin O'Neill teams go to ****e after he leaves, mainly due to his over spending and unsustainable contracts giving out. Certainly that was the case with Leicester, Celtic, Sunderland and Villa - no idea re. Wycombe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

The only valid league is the Premier League, everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

F**king Graham, Dalglish, Wilkinson and Venables mentioned. Christ on a bike, anyone who mentions these fellas should be banned from posting in this forum.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    F**king Graham, Dalglish, Wilkinson and Venables mentioned. Christ on a bike, anyone who mentions these fellas should be banned from posting in this forum.

Wilkinson at Sunderland? Dalglish at Celtic and Newcastle? Venables at Leeds, Portsmouth and his second spell at Crystal Palace? Point I made was about how these manager's lose it after being successful elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Phil Brown.

To be fair, he's doing a fantastic job in very difficult circumstances at Southend.

Some very strange names mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Point I made was about how these manager's lose it after being successful elsewhere.

Which is not the point of the thread at all, is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My pick would be Mark Hughes. How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me. He must be very good at interviews...
    FFS, Dalglish won a trophy in his second spell at Liverpool and also managed to sign a player who goes by the first name of Louis for £23 million.

I'm sure you will remember the bad things he did but not the good is why I mention Louis.

I'm not a Liverpool fan btw.

As for Mark Hughes, he has a record that very few have even if it does not tell the full tale but every club he has started and finished a season with have been top ten in the league.

Thats Blackburn, Manchester City and Fulham.

Over the last nine seasons he has spent 7 of them at a club from the start to the finish of the season and had 6 top ten finishes.

• Advertisement

Which is not the point of the thread at all, is it.

Calm down darling.

win_1847604c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

42fc705f09443969c395d092809dba81_zps8b025c63.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

eagle eye wrote: »
    FFS, Dalglish won a trophy in his second spell at Liverpool and also managed to sign a player who goes by the first name of Louis for £23 million.

I'm sure you will remember the bad things he did but not the good is why I mention Louis.

I'm not a Liverpool fan btw.

As for Mark Hughes, he has a record that very few have even if it does not tell the full tale but every club he has started and finished a season with have been top ten in the league.

Thats Blackburn, Manchester City and Fulham.

Over the last nine seasons he has spent 7 of them at a club from the start to the finish of the season and had 6 top ten finishes.

Louis who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Godge wrote: »
    Louis who?

Lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Mark Hughes is by far and away the worst. A complete shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Godge wrote: »
    Louis who?

Saurez.

Wilkinson at Sunderland? Dalglish at Celtic and Newcastle? Venables at Leeds, Portsmouth and his second spell at Crystal Palace? Point I made was about how these manager's lose it after being successful elsewhere.

Dalglish's record with Liverpool and Blackburn is excellent.

Wilkinson took Leeds from Division 2 and won the First Division with them. It was a phenomenal achievement.

Venables...Palace, QPR, England, Boro, Barcelona.

These lads aren't anywhere near "the duffest managers in football" and it's dumb to suggest that they are.

If we are going down this route, I'm suggesting Mourninho for last season at Madrid, Fergie for his time managing Scotland and Benitez for his last year at Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Tony Pulis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Chagan wrote: »
    Tony Pulis

What? Why?

Pulis' record is phenomenal.

Is this an ironic thread and I just didn't realise?

• Advertisement

Chagan wrote: »
    Tony Pulis

Ah ffs. I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Glen Hoddle, for all the mystic meg shiiite with England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Josep Sala Guardiola is overrated.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Alex Ferguson
    Terry Venables
    Rafa Benitez
    Paul Ince

I'm still trying to work out what Duffest means.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement