Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is a portfolio to apply?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I want to do a design course in IADT but a portfolio is required. I am not doing art so I don't have a portfolio.The closest thing I have is my DCG project, which is good but I doubt it compares to what the people doing a lot of art will submit. Can I get into the course without a portfolio, and what is the standard of portfolios like?
    This also applies to all art/design courses that require a portfolio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The portfolio is a requirement as you will be graded on the content. That grade goes towards the selection of candidates for the course. I would imagine that all art courses operate in the same way.

The portfolio for a college course is mostly about showing that you have an aptitude for the course you've applied for and that you have the ability to enter the course at a certain level and improve under tutelage. Walking in with a load of finished projects and industry standard prints might be impressive but it can also work against an applicant if places are sparse, the selection committee might think that an applicant wouldn't develop within the course if they've operated professionally or semi-professionally.

A lot of applicants complete portfolio preparation courses (like ones at Colaiste Dhulaigh and other PLC colleges) before applying for courses at IADT, NCAD, DIT etc but don't let that stop you. If you believe that your portfolio is limited, it would still be worth applying as even if you were unsuccessful, it would offer you an opportunity to speak with someone within the college about future applications.

Advertisement