Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hibernia primary teaching 2 yr full time?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi my name is lorna
    I am currently working as a special needs assistant and want to become a primary teacher.
    I have recently become interested in the Hibernia teaching course but I have heard that it will no longer be a part time course.
    Hibernia really appealed as it ment I could work for atleast the first year and study at the same time.
    I am just wondering has anyone else heard of the changes taken place in Autumn 2014!!:confused::confused::confused:
    im hoping it wont happen!!:pac:
    any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 taniajd

Hi Lorna,

Yes my understanding is that it is moving to a Masters course. The April 2014 intake will be the last in the current format (which I believe you can still apply for).

I would say though not to be under any illusions about it currently being part time. Each week there is 10-30 hrs of content to work through, assignments due regularly, live tutorials 1-2 times a week (like a Skype conference call) which are compulsory and can take place any day Mon-Thurs for 1hr from as early as 6pm, onsite days for a full-day almost every Saturday... On top of that then you have 5/6 weeks full time teaching practice x 3, plus 3 weeks in the Gaeltacht. Those who do Hibernia generally view it as "flexible time" rather than parttime - it's the same amount of hours as a full time post-graduate course, but you can choose when you allocate these hours rather than being restricted to Monday -Friday, 9-5pm.

Having said that though alot of people appear to manage to work full-time for the first few months/ year.

You'll find alot more info on your options/ what's involved on the educationposts.ie website.

Tania

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lornam

Thanks for the info!!
    The reason Hibernia appealed to me as a part time course was that I could work for the first year atleast!! It becoming full time means that I will have to leave my job as a special needs assistant to return to full time education and don't know whether I am financially able to do that!
    Think a lot of people are going to have the same problem!! The cost alone to get on the course is huge!
    I wonder whether it will go ahead! There seems to be very little information about the changes! I emailed the Hibernia but the response was very vague!
    Either way looks like il be returning to college full time!
    Thanks for your help!

Lorna, could you apply for the April 2014 cohort?

Unfortunately I can't! I'm off work recovering from an accidient!! Won't be able to apply really until the summer!
    :/
    Are you a teacher!!?

Sorry to hear that Lorna. I'm on the Hibernia course now and loving it all so far. I obviously know nothing about the nature of your injury but just so you know the application process itself is just filling in a form and getting a copy of transcripts from previous courses/ leaving cert. Then aside from the 30 minute face to face interview in Dublin, and the induction day in April if you got the place - there would be very very little physical onsite time (if any) for the first few months of the course.
    I'm sure it probably is still too much to think about at short notice anyway but just wanted to make sure you have all the info!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million!!
    I wouldn't be ready to apply for April intake, with new changes I can't even apply in April and defer!! I would be applying in summer and deferring it til next year!!
    Just concious that with new changes the interview process might be that bit harder!! What was your interview like? I have a good bit of experience so not so worried about English interview, however the Irish one I'm worried about !!
    I have my honour in Irish and did a Irish course connected with Hibernia at the end of the summer!! Was going to apply but now everything is at a halt for a while!
    I would like to work in the school as special needs assistant for another year and hopefully start September 2015, I will 100% be back to myself then!

Thanks for your quick response!! Trying to get myself in gear and organise where to apply etc!!
    😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Manor village

Hi I'm just wondering could you give any advice as regards the English interview

Hi Manor Village, replied to your PM.

Lornam - I really have no idea how the new programme will be recruited. You sound like a good candidate, I would just recommend using this time to familiarise yourself with the curriculum, it's alot of reading (http://www.curriculumonline.ie/Primary/Curriculum) and to get your Irish up to scratch. That's all you can do for now and I imagine both would go a long way to helping you get a place on any primary teaching course.

Like I said before there's pages and pages of teachers and potential teachers talking about the courses on educationposts.ie - well worth a look.

Advertisement