Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I don't think Windows 8 or 8.1 can ever be compared to Vista. Most Pc's and laptops now sold come with enough RAM and hard drive to accomodate the Operating System.
    I have 2 laptops at home, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows 8.1. I am now using 8.1 all the time and even find myself using the Metro layout more and more. It is definitely more suited to touch screen devices but all in all it is a good OS and way ahead of Vista.
    You should try working on a laptop with a Celeron Processor and 1GB of RAM, it has to be one of the worst things ever. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I don't think Windows 8 or 8.1 can ever be compared to Vista. Most Pc's and laptops now sold come with enough RAM and hard drive to accomodate the Operating System.
    I have 2 laptops at home, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows 8.1. I am now using 8.1 all the time and even find myself using the Metro layout more and more. It is definitely more suited to touch screen devices but all in all it is a good OS and way ahead of Vista.
    You should try working on a laptop with a Celeron Processor and 1GB of RAM, it has to be one of the worst things ever. :)
    Tell me about it, what I meant is Windows 8 is a flop and so was Vista, I've used 8 and 8.1 and yes it's quicker than 7 at boot up but my XP boots up quicker than 7 and 8, I just don't like 8 and the sooner 9 comes out the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Vista with the latest service pack actually isnt too bad, but I just cant get used to Windows 8 at all. Microsoft need to realise that people still use devices that are not touch screen. That metro interface looks lovely but its just not user friendly on a desktop machine. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for Windows 9.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That metro interface looks lovely but its just not user friendly on a desktop machine. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for Windows 9.
    200motels wrote: »
    just don't like 8 and the sooner 9 comes out the better.
    Be careful what you wish for.

Different doesn't mean better.

Look at how the Fisher Price UI for XP was initially received, look at how the UI on servers is still based on "classic" settings from way back, and how many people set windows 7 back to classic desktop.

You only have to look at ubuntu to see how forcing a UI designed for portable devices on users has meant a lot of people moved to something else when there was a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gthomas1

I believe that companies will fight to keep costs down, and sticking to the old system is one of the best ways to accomplish their goal. Eventually, the market is going to demand more touch screen functionality in their computers. Eventually, I believe that the overall desktop will fade into history as a dinosaur of technology. I have always had a high regard for HP. I never had any issues with any HP product I have purchased. I personally don't have much experience with Windows 8 or 8.1. Eventually, everything will move toward smaller more mobile touch screen devices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement