Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16GB USB formatted to NTFS but won't play

Options
  • 21-01-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Having tried to transfer a 7.5GB file (movie) onto a USB using windows vista I found it necessary to change the format from FAT32 to NTFS.

The USB played fine on my laptop but when I plug it into my Walker TV box it won't recognise it (there is no USB socket on my TV).

Is the problem that my TV Box is c*ap or should I try something else?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Jose1 wrote: »
    Having tried to transfer a 7.5GB file (movie) onto a USB using windows vista I found it necessary to change the format from FAT32 to NTFS.

The USB played fine on my laptop but when I plug it into my Walker TV box it won't recognise it (there is no USB socket on my TV).

Is the problem that my TV Box is c*ap or should I try something else?

Thanks!
    I'm guessing it doesn't read NTFS. Try format the drive as ExFAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MOST tvs read fat32,
    not ntfs,
    read the tv manual.
    I think the tv is working fine.
    ,obviously laptops can read ntfs, or fat disk formats.
    copy the file ,to laptop,
    then quick format drive in fat disk format.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

I originally had the file on my laptop but had to format it to NTFS in order to transfer it onto the USB. It seems that FAT32, the original format, can only be transferred in sizes smaller that 4GB, this file is 7.5GB.

I also tried formatting it to EXFAT but my box won't recognise it:confused:

If I were to buy a different box would/might that solve the problem? Any suggestions? Anyone? Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could reencode it to be less than 4GB to fit on the fat32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I originally had the file on my laptop but had to format it to NTFS in order to transfer it onto the USB. It seems that FAT32, the original format, can only be transferred in sizes smaller that 4GB, this file is 7.5GB.

I also tried formatting it to EXFAT but my box won't recognise it:confused:

If I were to buy a different box would/might that solve the problem? Any suggestions? Anyone? Help!
    Different box yes but it would be easier to just obtain the video again in a compressed version and format back to FAT32. You can get HD videos at around 2GB.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You could reencode it to be less than 4GB to fit on the fat32

Re-encode, how can I go about doing that?

The video file in question is my own work, it's 42 minutes long with all filmed movie sections HD @ 50fps. Ideally I would like to keep the resolution quality at its highest, would re-encoding effect that? Sorry about all of the questions, you can tell I'm a complete novice when it comes to formatting and the like.

Thanks.

I'm not a big expert on this, and you will lose some quality. Something like DVDShrink, there are prob others

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it!

At first glance it appears that DVD SHRINK is for downsizing DVD's only? But I can't burn the movie file onto DVD because it's bigger than allowed for such use, I think DVD's max out at 4.7GB, that's why I had to transfer it onto a USB stick.

DVDShrink will take a dual layer DVD and reencode it to fit on a single-layer 4.7GB one. I don't know if it will work on ISO disk images. I beleive DivX and the like allow you to specify the output size, e.g. many torrent downloads for movies will fit on a 700MB CD

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

DVDShrink is only for for DVD-Video (H.262), which the OP almost certainly didn't record in.
    It would be handiest if you grabbed something like MediaInfo to tell us the exact codecs used in the original file. It'll make it simpler to recommend the way forward regarding re-encoding.
    You're more than likely going to want to go the H.264 route since you'll get the best quality vs file size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Another option would be to split the file into two files, each under 4GB, which will allow you to keep the same quality with the same codec.
    riclad wrote: »
    Bizarre nonsense

Every time I see a post from this guy, I swear he's typing it in the middle of a stroke.

Hope this helps?

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 7.62 GiB
    Duration : 41mn 45s
    Overall bit rate : 26.1 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2014-01-22 15:30:35
    Tagged date : UTC 2014-01-22 15:30:35

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@High
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Codec ID : 61
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 24.6 Mbps
    Nominal bit rate : 35.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 50.000 fps
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.533
    Stream size : 7.17 GiB (94%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2014-01-22 15:30:35
    Tagged date : UTC 2014-01-22 15:30:35

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : twos
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 459 MiB (6%)
    Language : English

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You could split the video using software. There's one from Boilsoft, which I haven't used myself.

Just tried splitting the file, strangely, although it said it was splitting it into two halves (ie 3.8GB) it actually split it into two sections of 404MB and 237MB, with very distorted sound. I appreciate your input, thank you.

I've bought this media box from Amazon, looks promising, says it will play almost anything in most formats, hope so!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IncrediSonic-Ultra-Play-IMP150-Flashdrives/dp/B006FNCWSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390649720&sr=1-1&keywords=IncrediSonic+Ultra+Play+IMP150+-+HD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Every time I see a post from this guy, I swear he's typing it in the middle of a stroke.
    Just because he's saying something that doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it's bizarre nonsense.

Most of what he's saying is correct, just lacking in a little detail for less technical people to understand, and his punctuation could use some work.

To elaborate...

Download and install handbrake (Google it) and re-encode the file to shrink it below 4gb in a format that your TV can still play (that's where reading your TV manual comes in), then copy it back to the reformatted fat32 USB stick and you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've bought this media box from Amazon, looks promising, says it will play almost anything in most formats, hope so!
    Unless it will read an ntfs formatted disk, you'll have exactly the same problem. The issue isn't that your TV can't play the file, it's that it can't understand the ntfs disk format.

MOST tvs ,only read fat 32 format,
    exfat format is of no use to you.
    Tts easy to connect a laptop to tv thru hdmi port.
    set resolution to 1024x768, Set
    refresh rate on graphics card to 6o htz.
    YOU can buy a media player ,
    40 euro and higher
    I have one ,it has hd out ,scart ,video out ,
    It plays files on any tv .
    Cables to connect to a tv are supplied with the unit.
    You can open some media players and
    put a hard drive inside it on cheaper models.
    Connect to pc thru usb cable.

i bought it on adverts.ie for 50 euro in 2010.
    Media players connect to tv thru hdmi or scart,
    so the disk format does,nt matter , Most units play, mp4,avi ,wmv and other video file types.

I try to use simple plain language that can be understood
    by someone who only has a very limited knowledge of computers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

MOST tvs ,only read fat 32 format

You mean apart from all those that do NTFS too? Or merely specify that the storage device should be formatted 'to a system compatible for video recording'?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To explain a little, the processing overhead is much higher in NTFS than fat, so embedded devices with slower CPUs have a hard time dealing with it.

@Riclad: Still dont get you, every post is a strange mess...

OP: You dont need to buy new kit or change your setup, you just need to encode better ;)

Use the MPG4 with the .h264 Codec. 50FPS is overkill, 28/29fps is plenty for video playback, even 24 is acceptable. Adjust the bitrate as needed to keep it under 4GB but at as good a quality as you want.

ED E wrote: »
    To explain a little, the processing overhead is much higher in NTFS than fat, so embedded devices with slower CPUs have a hard time dealing with it.

@Riclad: Still dont get you, every post is a strange mess...

OP: You dont need to buy new kit or change your setup, you just need to encode better ;)

Use the MPG4 with the .h264 Codec. 50FPS is overkill, 28/29fps is plenty for video playback, even 24 is acceptable. Adjust the bitrate as needed to keep it under 4GB but at as good a quality as you want.

With regard to encoding, I really don't have much choice, quality is King!

I'm using Sony Vegas for video editing and want the best possible resolution for my video so I'm pretty much over a barrel as to what encoding crops up. I've never had this problem before simply because I haven't made a vid larger than 4GB, this one is close to 8GB.

Anyway, I've bought the media player and all is well;)

Thank you for your replies (except of course for the childish remark about having a stroke - grow up dude!)

• Advertisement

Most tvs, i have seen read only drives formatted in fat32,
    I,M not saying there,s no tvs that read ntfs format ,
    Theres also dvd drives that read avi, mp4,wmv files etc
    with a usb port on the side for easy connection of external drives.
    I only buy a tv once every 3 years ,
    so i don,t check all the latest tvs ,
    unless i,m looking to buy 1.
    IF you are using large files over 4gig,
    its probably easier to connect a laptop to the tv,
    OR buy a media player unit with a hdmi port on it,
    as jose1 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Most tvs, i have seen read only drives formatted in fat32,
    I,M not saying there,s no tvs that read ntfs format ,
    Theres also dvd drives that read avi, mp4,wmv files etc
    with a usb port on the side for easy connection of external drives.
    I only buy a tv once every 3 years ,
    so i don,t check all the latest tvs ,
    unless i,m looking to buy 1.
    IF you are using large files over 4gig,
    its probably easier to connect a laptop to the tv,
    OR buy a media player unit with a hdmi port on it,
    as jose1 did.

Again with the poetry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

MOST tvs
    Most tvs, i have seen

Important distinction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With regard to encoding, I really don't have much choice, quality is King!

I'm using Sony Vegas for video editing and want the best possible resolution for my video so I'm pretty much over a barrel as to what encoding crops up. I've never had this problem before simply because I haven't made a vid larger than 4GB, this one is close to 8GB.

Anyway, I've bought the media player and all is well;)

Thank you for your replies (except of course for the childish remark about having a stroke - grow up dude!)

You're probably wasting space by the sound of it, but if its working and your happy with it then its grand.

Advertisement