Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow 10 Mile, 23.3.2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Well sh1t anyway...Left the country for a week and the Mallow 10 gets sold out...You must be ****ting me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

There is always Kilnaboy or Pakie Ryan Memorial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Well sh1t anyway...Left the country for a week and the Mallow 10 gets sold out...You must be ****ting me :D
    Don't panic - with popularity like this they are going to have to put on an extra concert - race
    :)

on a more serious note it shows how well regarded Mallow is, a testament to the hard work of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

I signed up on the 29th jan via the website - Still not debited against the credit card anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

The organisers Mallow AC are currently putting a team of pacers together. At the moment, they are looking for runners to pace 60 and 65 minutes. The requirement is that you should be able to run these times comfortably, i.e. in current form, you should be able to run at least 2-3 minutes faster.

<snip> <mod>May I suggest a PM to hawley instead?</mod>

• Advertisement

hawley wrote: »
    The organisers Mallow AC are currently putting a team of pacers together. At the moment, they are looking for runners to pace 60 and 65 minutes. The requirement is that you should be able to run these times comfortably, i.e. in current form, you should be able to run at least 2-3 minutes faster.

If you are interested then contact ******

Seriously?
    Unless you are a member of the event organising committee it is really bad form to post contact details on an open forum - unless they are your own - whci from the above post I would guess they aren't.

b.harte wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Unless you are a member of the event organising committee it is really bad form to post contact details on an open forum - unless they are your own - whci from the above post I would guess they aren't.

Sorry I didn't realise that it isn't allowed on here. My wife is on organising committee and the number/e-mail has been posted on facebook, runningincork site and local papers.

Hi, we are looking for stewards if anyone is available sunday week please make contact through the facebook page or the website

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Are numbers being posted out or is it collect on the day ?

Are numbers being posted out or is it collect on the day ?

The race numbers are in the post

• Advertisement

Some final notes for Sunday.
    Everybody should have their number at this stage. If not please send me a mail. padraic.######ham@gmail.com

Access & Parking
    • Race HQ is at Mallow Youth Centre, There will be signs on all roads into Mallow
    • Parking is available for free in any of the public car parks in the town, or you can park on the streets without charge as it is a Sunday.
    • There is no p...arking available at the race HQ, or at the start/finish areas.
    • Race Start is a mile from the youth centre…so you can use this as your warm up
    • Toilets will be available at the start and also at the race HQ
    • Race finish is a five minute walk back to the youth centre
    • Refreshments (Tea, Sandwiches etc.) will be available in the hall after the race

Safety
    • The race is run on public roads, so be prepared for the unexpected
    • Obey Stewards and do not take any unnecessary risks
    • Wearing of headphones is strictly prohibited
    • When you have finished, do not run back out the course

The Race
    • The race will start at 12:30 sharp, do not be late.
    • The race will be using chip Timing. The chip is attached to your number.
    • You do not need to hand back your number after the race.
    • Your race number should always be worn on the front, on your singlet/t-shirt, not on your shorts. This will facilitate the reading of the chip at the finish line thus giving you an accurate time.
    • Under no circumstances can you transfer your race number and if this occurs you will be denied entry in the future.
    • Pacers at 5 minutes intervals from 60 minutes to 95 minutes.
    • 2 Water Stations (bottles) on the course (3.5miles and 7 miles)
    • Water/Chocolate at finish
    • Please proceed immediately through the finish chute where you will receive your 'goody bag' (including your dry fit t-shirt)
    • Prizes Top 5 and First three in all categories
    • There will be absolutely no entries taken on the day of the race.
    • Results will be available online http://www.precisiontiming.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Due to a last minute problem with the quality of t-shirt supplied for the Mallow 10 we have had to go back to the supplier and have them remake new t-shirts.
    When you finish the Mallow 10 you will receive a cotton t-shirt.
    In the coming 3 weeks we have a commitment that a mallow 10 souvenir technical t-shirt will be supplied to everybody who finished the race.
    This will be sent via post to the address that your bib number was sent.
    If for any reason your number was not posted to you and you did completed the race then you should send your full address to mallow10mile@gmail.com and put “mallow 10 t-shirt” in the subject line.

We apologize for this inconvenience and are working to do everything to resolve.
    Mallow AC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

psychozeb wrote: »
    Due to a last minute problem with the quality of t-shirt supplied for the Mallow 10 we have had to go back to the supplier and have them remake new t-shirts.
    When you finish the Mallow 10 you will receive a cotton t-shirt.
    In the coming 3 weeks we have a commitment that a mallow 10 souvenir technical t-shirt will be supplied to everybody who finished the race.
    This will be sent via post to the address that your bib number was sent.
    If for any reason your number was not posted to you and you did completed the race then you should send your full address to mallow10mile@gmail.com and put “mallow 10 t-shirt” in the subject line.

We apologize for this inconvenience and are working to do everything to resolve.
    Mallow AC

so you're actually giving out 2 t-shirts per finisher, a cotton one tomorrow and a tech top in the post later on?
    That's a bummer for the organisers, hope it's not costing them too much extra, is the manufacturer footing the bill?

Anyway, looks like it will be a cold one tomorrow with some breeze too, as long as the wind isn't too bad out by the racecourse we'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Nice sunny morning with some light gusts. .around my house anyways!
    Good luck to us all. Safe running!!
    See you all over lashings of tea & sarnies at the prize givings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have a blast guys and girls. I'll be back to join yee next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Have a blast guys and girls. I'll be back to join yee next year!

You definitely should, it's one of those races that's very well organised year after year from my own experience. Big thanks to Mallow AC again!

The day turned out fine, little bit of a head wind in the early miles but was ok after that. Best part for me was the freshly baked chocolate mousse cake that a friend of mine living in Mallow had waiting for me afterwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

Great event today, well organised. Thanks to all the volunteers. The pacers are really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Exceptionally well organised race in great weather conditions with a mild enough breeze & a spectacular spread of grub afterwards, thanks to all who made it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

A great 10 mile race. Brilliantly well organised, water bottles were perfect and the spread at the end with the one-way system was excellent!

All of the above with the ease of parking and lots of shops/cafés open for pre/post race refreshment and to keep the spectators happy make this one of the best 10 mile races in my opinion.

Oh, and the black cotton t-shirts were pretty good too, and fair play to the immediate and clear methods of communication on the tech-top problems, well done Mallow AC, that's how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Thanks to all that participated today,hadn't the best of runs myself but have been busy last few days making preparations for today.As always any helpful criticisms are welcome and will help us improve the race going forward,looks like this will be the last year on current course so lots of work to be done for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pegasus2014

Started with 1:25 pacer. Asked what pace the lady was going out at. She said 820-830. First mile 753, second 802. Ridiculous. I did my own thing after that but the first 2 miles really effected my race. Pacers in dungarvan were so much better. Otherwise a good event. Water stations well manned. Great crowd support along the route.

Another fantastic event by Mallow AC.
    The changes made to the starting pens/ corrals made the start a lot better, wasn't the usual mad scatter taking up the whole width of the road (including the grand canyon on the RHS by the dentists). Overall I found it a more orderly at the start over previous years.
    Pace placards were great as well, can't remember if the were there last year - but there didn't seem to be as many "misplaced" participants to weave through in the first mile..
    Support around town seemed up on last year, especially the last 2 miles, it was good to see so many staying around a bit after, and the spread in the hall was as usual delicious, I was particularly impressed with the cake:sambo ratio, seeing as I've given up bread I was able to get my fill with a plate of sugar frosted goodness.
    And a PB for me too, so I can't complain, except about WIley, who pipped me by 13 seconds.
    Work tomorrow wont be fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Was pipped at the finish line by one Bertie Harte.... glad to hear it took a PB to beat me!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

One of my most enjoyable days running for a long time.... Pb's are gone long ago so now I run & savour it. Its been a few years since I ran Mallow 10 so I'm glad I was here for the last one on this course.

The stewarding on the course today was exceptional. We all expect stewards at junctions.... but to see them at the car parks being helpful... and also at any dangerous bends on the course... it shows the attention to detail that the organisers have thought about... Thank you

Good luck planning the new course.... THINK BIG .... A+B+C :)+ feeding the 5000 :eek: ...in 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

My first time running this race and it was a fantastic run event by Mallow AC and to top it off I got a PB of 79mins so delighted with that but some of the drags around the sugar factory were tough enough! I have to echo what people are saying about the stewarding, it was one of the best I have seen at a race and it wasn’t just the stewards just standing there, they were encouraging and clapping as the runners went by, even the cop just past the racecourse was cheering people on! The start was very good and from what I saw most people were in the correct corral which meant not much ducking and weaving. It was a way more relaxed day than a certain famous 10mile a few weeks ago!

Well done Mallow AC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Really enjoyable run and great weather for it,

Well organized and plenty of parking near by which was great, stewards were also very helpful when it came to the parking and getting from the finish back to the HQ was easy as well sign posted.

Hope the t-shirt issue doesn't cost Mallow AC, I'd have been happy to wait the three weeks for the tech but getting two shirts goes above and beyond in my view. So thumbs up on that anyway.

Managed a nice comfortable sub70 PB so good day overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Just wondering if placements in results are based on your chip time or on gross time. Excuse the question new to all this just that my net time seems to be 30/40 seconds ahead of participants who finished in or around my finishing place, so just wondered how exactly the chip timing benefits .... I started from the back. Thanks again apologise for the novice question.

By the way, loved the race thoroughly enjoyed it my first 10 mile ever!! Weather was a huge bonus. Fantastic organising well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Ditto to all the above. The weather played its part in giving a lot of us pb's. Was hoping for sub 68 but at the last mile marker I had to do a double check on the watch as it was showing 59min. Quick check o the legs and lungs and drove on for a 6 min last mile to come in at 65.30..over the moon.
    Well done Mallow AC. Roll on next year!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh just to add, nice touch having alot of the results already up on the wall by the time people made it from finish to race HQ, was nice to be able to confirm my chip time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

One of my most enjoyable days running for a long time.... Pb's are gone long ago so now I run & savour it. Its been a few years since I ran Mallow 10 so I'm glad I was here for the last one on this course.

The stewarding on the course today was exceptional. We all expect stewards at junctions.... but to see them at the car parks being helpful... and also at any dangerous bends on the course... it shows the attention to detail that the organisers have thought about... Thank you

Good luck planning the new course.... THINK BIG .... A+B+C :)+ feeding the 5000 :eek: ...in 2025

My dad says the same, his days of PBs are long gone. If you still want to go for PBs you should go for 'second generation' PBs :) He'll never beat his 59 minutes for a 10 miler these days but he's started all over again!

Hope I'll be running long enough to start on second generation PBs.

Advertisement