Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD Question

Options
  • 21-01-2014 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hi, so i have a question regarding an external HDD it is USB powered and i plug it into my televsion to hold films and music and the like. My question is tho will it do the HDD any harm when i turn off the tv abruptly and the HDD shuts off quick - will it cause it to become corrupted? I also have another HDD that is powered by a plug and im wondering would that be safer to use then the USB powered one. Basically will the USB powered one become corrupted by turning the power off on the televsion shutting off the HDD abruptly , should i use the plug powered one instead?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

You should be ok, the hdd connected to a tv, I would imagine would only be reading the disk, errors and corruption mostly occur when something bad happens as you are writing to the disk, ie. transferring stuff to the disk.

the plugged in powered hdd would technically be the safer, as it will retain power when you turn off telly, but Id say both will be grand, turning off the screen of the telly, doesn't necessarily mean the power will be gone from the usb connected hdd either !

go for it ! either will be fine imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Stuxnet wrote: »
    You should be ok, the hdd connected to a tv, I would imagine would only be reading the disk, errors and corruption mostly occur when something bad happens as you are writing to the disk, ie. transferring stuff to the disk.

the plugged in powered hdd would technically be the safer, as it will retain power when you turn off telly, but Id say both will be grand, turning off the screen of the telly, doesn't necessarily mean the power will be gone from the usb connected hdd either !

go for it ! either will be fine imo :)

so it will be ok then, thanks!, i was kinda concerned because i noticed when i turn off the television it, wehen the drives loose power it makes a slight whiney noise that neither of the drives do when they loose power when i turn off when they are connected to the the pc, cool if its no harm its no harm then :) thanks

Advertisement