Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romany Stone in The Delgany Closed

Options
  • 21-01-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Just received a forwarded e-mail in which Romany Stone informs its patrons that it closed yesterday, 20th January! Anyone else aware of this?

If so it's a great shame!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

website says it has ceased operating from Delgany Inn and is embarking on an exciting new chapter. How long was it open for...a year? Standard break clause on lease exercised perhaps?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

astrofluff wrote: »
    website says it has ceased operating from Delgany Inn and is embarking on an exciting new chapter. How long was it open for...a year? Standard break clause on lease exercised perhaps?

They said they are negotiating new premisses and will make an announcement in next couple of months.

Are the other shops there still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

I just received an update and yes, the other shops are still trading as normal. It appears that one of the other business people involved in The Delgany will take over the restaurant.

Reassuring news for Delgany!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

'Rumour' from a very reliable source stated she had a falling out with the owner of the Delgany inn (he had a very valid resaon)

Seems to be a trend developing....

Same happened with romaney stone whilst in the tap restaurant!

Pity that...

They shouldn't have sold do many gift vouchers at Christmas time, untruthful , dishonest sales IMO...

They have since stated they will be valid in the new Romany stone (whenever / wherever that will be) fairest would be a refund for whoever wants one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cocker5 wrote: »
    'Rumour' from a very reliable source stated she had a falling out with the owner of the Delgany inn (he had a very valid resaon)

Seems to be a trend developing....

Same happened with romaney stone whilst in the tap restaurant!

Pity that...

They shouldn't have sold do many gift vouchers at Christmas time, untruthful , dishonest sales IMO...

They have since stated they will be valid in the new Romany stone (whenever / wherever that will be) fairest would be a refund for whoever wants one.

They stated on facebook the vouchers are redeemable in the new restaurant (in the Delgany) and in the new Romany Stone

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

They stated on facebook the vouchers are redeemable in the new restaurant (in the Delgany) and in the new Romany Stone

That's still not what people purchased when they purchased the gift vouchers..

As I already mentioned yes they'll be valid when the new Romany stone opens... Whenever or wherever that may be

But being valid in the current Delgany inn isn't relevant... It will have a new different menu, they have already changed the decor.. So Infact people are being forced to wait or spend in a different place... Hardly seems right or fair IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

What is Romany Stone? What is the Delgany? Where were they before? Which is the bakers? Can I ask any more questions? :P

What is Romany Stone? What is the Delgany? Where were they before? Which is the bakers? Can I ask any more questions? :P

1 It's a restaurant upstairs in the delgany
    2 It's the old delgany inn and it now comprises of 4 different businesses; grocery, bakery/cafe, restaurant and a shop that sells arty/trinkety things
    3 Don't know
    4 The stonehouse
    5 no

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

cocker5 wrote: »
    That's still not what people purchased when they purchased the gift vouchers..

As I already mentioned yes they'll be valid when the new Romany stone opens... Whenever or wherever that may be

But being valid in the current Delgany inn isn't relevant... It will have a new different menu, they have already changed the decor.. So Infact people are being forced to wait or spend in a different place... Hardly seems right or fair IMO.

Of course it's relevant if some people choose that option!

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I hope when Romany Stone reopen that it will have trained and friendly staff who know how to greet and serve their customers. Their friendliness and service left a lot to be desired over their trading time in Delgany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Could Romany Stone be relocating to the Script building?

Of course it's relevant if some people choose that option!

Ok but my point is it doesn't leave people with many options...

Use as is in Delgany
    Wait god know how long until the new place opens..

Third option SHOULD be full refund if either of the above options not suitable.

She knew she was moving in therefore IMO it was untruthful to sell gift vouchers at Christmas - unless of course the customer was fully informed (which they were not)

;)

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I hope when Romany Stone reopen that it will have trained and friendly staff who know how to greet and serve their customers. Their friendliness and service left a lot to be desired over their trading time in Delgany.

Very true .. I found the staff while nice most if the time they were very young, and inexperienced, it was the same case in the tap pub. Lots of inexperienced staff who looked disgruntled a lot of the time.
    It says a lot negativety usually feeds from top down.

Some of this reason is due to the fact that the wages on offer we're very low, possibly suited to a student but not someone with any experience.

If u pay your staff well and treat them
    Properly then maybe things would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Could Romany Stone be relocating to the Script building?

I saw a comment from a local councillor on Facebook that a doctor's surgery is going into the Script building.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I really liked the place and found the staff excellent :confused:
    Perhaps I was just lucky.

2011 wrote: »
    I really liked the place and found the staff excellent :confused:
    Perhaps I was just lucky.

Same here; lovely food and helpful staff

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Maybe they had a ' be extra nice to mods' policy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Have to harp in - me too. Found them all lovely.
    Little touches like a free coffee or orange juice if you had to wait too long for your breakfast. Had great chats with a few of them - all really nice and found them all to be very professional - guess I was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Taltos wrote: »
    Have to harp in - me too. Found them all lovely.
    Little touches like a free coffee or orange juice if you had to wait too long for your breakfast. Had great chats with a few of them - all really nice and found them all to be very professional - guess I was lucky.

And a third one! Well that confirms it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

It would have been nice if they had mentioned it when I purchased several gift tokens on christmas eve. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

1 It's a restaurant upstairs in the delgany
    2 It's the old delgany inn and it now comprises of 4 different businesses; grocery, bakery/cafe, restaurant and a shop that sells arty/trinkety things
    3 Don't know
    4 The stonehouse
    5 no

:pac: Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

LEIN wrote: »
    :pac: Brilliant

He's only messing ..... I think .....:eek:

He's only messing ..... I think .....:eek:

You asked
    I answered :pac:

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

From all appearances the restaurant would seem to be quite busy, which is good to see.

On the comments some others made about the staff ... I have to say that I agree with the majority here on the young staffs' friendliness. They are, in the main, quite young and yes inexperienced but isn't it great to see well mannered, well turned out young people working hard and getting experience. This us what is often lacking with so many these days. There may indeed have been issues with the old regime there but we have to credit them with taking the plunge, starting the restaurant in Delgany and creating this great venue. Here's hoping the new management continue to do well and that perhaps, if indeed - as it would appear on face value given its departure from Ballindarrig previously and now here- that the proprietor rubs into hurdles every now and then, that lessons may be learned and overcome as the base product is indeed commendable.

Oh... And at the risk of putting myself in Mango salsa's "sights" I have a question!!!
    What is / was the "Script" building?
    Where is it?
    Who's the doctor supposed to be opening practice there?
    When will they open?
    If it's true .... Hooray!
    I know, I know it's off post .... But ya can't shoot a guy for trying :p

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

What is / was the "Script" building?
    Where is it?
    Who's the doctor supposed to be opening practice there?
    When will they open?

Script building is on Mill Road next to the town council office in Greystones. It is a newish (less than 10 years old) standalone building that has been a pub/restaurant off and on but it has been vacant for quite awhile now. No idea who the doctor is or when it will open.

Advertisement