Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geography at NUI Maynooth

• 21-01-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

hi just a question on geography in nuim, I got a letter last feb after xmas exam and in summer after exams saying I was in the top 5% in the year, should I give these letters any warrant or are they a dud just too drive u on? my results weren't spectacular I think it was 60,61,73 and 62, cant imagine that would warrant a top 5% finish? or is geography very hard marked in nuim .. ? im in 2nd yr now just wondering where I stand:confused::)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hi just a question on geography in nuim, I got a letter last feb after xmas exam and in summer after exams saying I was in the top 5% in the year, should I give these letters any warrant or are they a dud just too drive u on? my results weren't spectacular I think it was 60,61,73 and 62, cant imagine that would warrant a top 5% finish? or is geography very hard marked in nuim .. ? im in 2nd yr now just wondering where I stand:confused::)

I'd imagine that they were genuine! I know that my brother got one for Sociology when he was in first year. They were probably sent to get you to consider taking Geography as a single honours. I don't know what Geography marking is like in general though to comment on the grades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea got a letter to do option of single honours all right, just thought the results wouldn't get into top 5 bracket, did better in history but didn't get any option to do major

yea got a letter to do option of single honours all right, just thought the results wouldn't get into top 5 bracket, did better in history but didn't get any option to do major

History is big classes and some people get ridiculous marks! I did quite well when i was in first year too and was still low enough down the list when I checked.

ah rite that's prob it! are u still doin it?

ah rite that's prob it! are u still doin it?

Yup, in final year now although I started before Lyons came in so my first year was a totally different course. I think 2nd was the same though.

• Advertisement

anyone ever do political geography in second year? whats it like is there many continues assessment assignments?

im in a bit of a quandary as to pick either climate or political geography , I like both but im being swayed by the less workload in climate for some reason I do well in exams compared to assignments so I usually opt for more exam based modules plus im not that keen on the election politics side of gy227, is climate really hard does anyone know:o?? I got 62% in first year climate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

im in a bit of a quandary as to pick either climate or political geography , I like both but im being swayed by the less workload in climate for some reason I do well in exams compared to assignments so I usually opt for more exam based modules plus im not that keen on the election politics side of gy227, is climate really hard does anyone know:o?? I got 62% in first year climate

Climate in second and third year steps up the game compared to first year. I found it fascinated (I did the MSc in Climate Change!). I didn't take the second year module (I think it clashed with something) but I read through the descriptor there the other day and it looks brilliant. Very interesting module, but it is difficult. Once you have an interest in it and are committed to doing the work, it's worth it!

yeah iv decided on doing it, I have a feeling its going to be good, like you say having an intrest in it makes all the difference things come so much easier, very easy to do background reading etc when you enjoy doing it. its also a nice change from the human geography stuff for a while, there seems to be an awful lot of that in nui maynooth

Advertisement