Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA

Options
  • 21-01-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

I know there's a few threads but most of them are ancient.

I'm currently in IT in a Tech Support role (nearly 6 months). I have an Ordinary Degree in Computing from IT Tallaght. Looking to broaden what I can do in the future, I'm looking at the A+, Server+ and Networking+.

Mike Meyers seems like the man for A+ at least, anyone know which is the latest edition? 8th? http://www.easons.com/p-946497-mike-meyers-certification-passport-comptia-a-certification-exams-220-801-220-802.aspx#sthash.1MFzeT9G.dpbs Would that be what I'm looking for?

Server+ and Networking+ options?

Next question, is there anywhere in Dublin that you can just do the exams? Plan to study myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd consider the A+ superflous at this stage of your career path. However, New Horizons is where I'd recommend as an exam centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I know there's a few threads but most of them are ancient.

I'm currently in IT in a Tech Support role (nearly 6 months). I have an Ordinary Degree in Computing from IT Tallaght. Looking to broaden what I can do in the future, I'm looking at the A+, Server+ and Networking+.

Mike Meyers seems like the man for A+ at least, anyone know which is the latest edition? 8th? http://www.easons.com/p-946497-mike-meyers-certification-passport-comptia-a-certification-exams-220-801-220-802.aspx#sthash.1MFzeT9G.dpbs Would that be what I'm looking for?

Server+ and Networking+ options?

Next question, is there anywhere in Dublin that you can just do the exams? Plan to study myself.

Gav, you're in a very similar place to where I was not too long ago. I have the same degree from the same institution from back in 2006. I reckon CCNA or MCP would be your next port on the never ending certification ship. New Horizons, as mentioned above, are very good, I did my CCNA with them. Also look up prometric for other locations and microsoft exams.

Actually, did you not cover the CCNA course as part of the ITT degree? We did way back when

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Do New Horizons just do the exams though? Can't see the option on the site.

theteal wrote: »
    Actually, did you not cover the CCNA course as part of the ITT degree? We did way back when

We did indeed for the Networking modules. Can't say I was that much of a fan of CCNA tbh, especially with work the workload would be loads.

Do New Horizons just do the exams though? Can't see the option on the site.

Yeah. You don't book via them, you book via Prometric/Pearson VUE as appropriate for the exam.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Yeah. You don't book via them, you book via Prometric/Pearson VUE as appropriate for the exam.

Am I blind or do neither of them sites have any information on prices, dates, etc...?

Am I blind or do neither of them sites have any information on prices, dates, etc...?

You need to register as a user, then go to book - that will show you the prices and available dates. Its not shown anywhere prior to that.

I had a quick look there, the attached pics are an example of a microsoft sign up. The "start here" button is kinda hidden in the (what looks like an ad) banner at the top of the first pic. Obviously you'll need login credentials

€195 for each A+ exam, ouch!

€195 for each A+ exam, ouch!

That adds as part of why I think its superfluous - its very dear and proves very little. One Microsoft exam - €150 - is far, far more valuable.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    That adds as part of why I think its superfluous - its very dear and proves very little. One Microsoft exam - €150 - is far, far more valuable.

Ye think so. Any recommendations?

Might be a bit late to go for Windows 7 as there's a fair bit of talk of the exams coming to an end. I'm actually sitting 70-685 in the morning just to get the MCITP before that's cut off at the end of the month. Windows 8 configuring might be a start, there's a lot more to it than most think e.g. deployment, imaging, policies, domain stuff etc. It seems like a natural step before getting stuck in to the server exams

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

I wouldn't bother with any of the compTIA exams, no tech employer see's them as being a valid cert. Said it to my current employer that i was thinking of doing them, and they nearly laughed me out of the room. You're better off getting some cisco or mcse certs :) just my two cents.

Advertisement