Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run The Line 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

911sc wrote: »
    My "road" legs are still in bits this morning, calves and quads are sore. What a great race.

Results are up on RTL website...
    "Time bank error in your favor, receive 1h credit" .... they forgot to take into account my 10am early start, so i am way up there with the goats and rabbits. No worries anyway, i don't race, i participate.
    The bad news is that i was 20min slowler this year than last year, and just 1 year older....
    What was your finishing position? Just wondering as there was a runner ahead, who I don't recall from during the race. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

911sc wrote: »
    The bad news is that i was 20min slowler this year than last year, and just 1 year older....

17 minutes slower myself. Was expecting it as I hadn't been in the hills since the summer and have done feic all since. Last years time would have got me a top 10 place this year, although the start of the course was slightly different.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    17 minutes slower myself. Was expecting it as I hadn't been in the hills since the summer and have done feic all since. Last years time would have got me a top 10 place this year, although the start of the course was slightly different.
    All the times are down on last year, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Last year's route seemed to be around 1.4kms shorter. Also, there's a few runners in the top 15 who opted for the early start, so some of 'em probably need an extra hour added to their finish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

My whole body's screaming today even though I stretched

Did the short course last year and was dying to do the long one. Ran with a friend and we totally enjoyed it although some people behind us never overlapped us.

The course was well signed with tapes everywhere but we nearly missed a few turns because our eyes were down on the path. I guess it takes some practice and skills to master trails.

The only down was the lack of water at the finish line

Big thank you to the marshals, photographers, jelly babies and see you next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Particularly shoes that can do offtrail!

Dammit. Mental Note: Check the forums before any race. Slp sliiiiiding away.. etc etc

Great to hear that a few of those ahead of us might be getting an hour added on. The cool thing is that the blue dot system (nice one lads!) means that a quick scan of the (huge amount of) photos should show you who started early and who didn't.

Great race. My first time doing it. Really well organised. I have to say I didn't see the Long course/Short Course sign but was following people who I assume did see it so it worked out fine. Anyway you shoudln't judge navigation by me, on the way back I was going "Jesus, it was so much easier going up Tibradden on the way back. I've paced it beautifully."...and then we turned the corner and went up Tibradden.

Ro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

My garmin had the short course at 12.8 k...and except falling on my face I didn't take any detours. Looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Yea I had the short course at 12.93k I think, it was definitely more than the 11k mentioned on the website! Can't wait to try the long course next year. Absolutely supper race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Last year's 2nd place runner was also this year's 2nd place runner so that will give you an idea of time slippage for route distance and/or conditions. Well done all, particularly KC who usually gets a nosebleed on hills ;) (exagerating slightly).

Well done too to the little brother Dubonholiday who has just taken up this running lark and is enjoying it.

Sorry I missed it. Hopefully next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

12.75k for me. Distance wasnt critical though, its not like its a 10k where you want a pb :) I thought the course was great, lots of variety. That one long downhill where you had to jump all the gullies was great gas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Oryx wrote: »
    12.75k for me. Distance wasnt critical though, its not like its a 10k where you want a pb :) I thought the course was great, lots of variety. That one long downhill where you had to jump all the gullies was great gas. :)

I agree, I wasn't complaining about the distance at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah the extra distance was no issue but Jesus chirst the road bit at the end, my hamstrings were trying to seize up with every stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Great event think I would even say the best one for me this year.....very enjoyable and tough.
    I didn't feel quicker than last year but knocked 10 minutes off last years times on the long route.
    In fairness I had a lot more running in my legs this year before the event.....

Just to address some of the feedback earlier in the thread I've done events for 2.5 times the entry price and got no water at all. I'm not affiliated to DWMRT actually stumbled across this event last year and have taken part as a runner.
    I think people should realise there is a difference between paying for events that the sole benefactor is the people/company organising them and paying events for worthy causes and cut the the worthy cause ones a bit of slack.

Keep up the great work DWMRT and all the volunteers who made it such an enjoyable event.

I'm looking to buy another XL tshirt can anyone send me a link or pm details on how to go about it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On the IMRA 1-10 scale, where would this race rank in difficulty? To give me some idea of races in the 2015 season.

Just to address some of the feedback earlier in the thread I've done events for 2.5 times the entry price and got no water at all. I think people should realise there is a difference between paying for events that the sole benefactor is the people/company organising them and paying events for worthy causes and cut the the worthy cause ones a bit of slack.
    I think the water and Powerade during the race is fantastic and an unexpected bonus. After the race I don't believe anyone is expecting Nordic water melted from the polar caps, or a cheeky little Badoit. Tap water from the pub in a plastic cup would be grand. The point during a race in which you are suffering the most is the final 500m.

I don't understand the 'cut the slack' comment. All of the feedback has been incredibly positive. The RD solicited feedback on how to improve the race. Feedback was provided. Most races in the calendar are for worthy causes. It doesn't excuse a race organizer from not doing things right. If you are only interested in the worthy cause, then just make a significant donation to the DWMRT, and don't bother with the race. Thankfully in this instance, the organizers are pretty much hitting all the right notes and have little to do, to make the perfect race.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

mloc123 wrote: »
    On the IMRA 1-10 scale, where would this race rank in difficulty? To give me some idea of races in the 2015 season.

IMRA uses this TAD system explained here: https://www.imra.ie/difficulty/

So for RTL I think the difficulty rating would be

1 for Terrain (the route is mostly on trail/fire trail/forest tracks with good underfooting, few or no obstacles, and no open mountain side or passages through heather, scree and other difficult terrain.)
    3 for altitude gained (> 500m)
    3 for distance (> 10km)

Giving a total of 7.

To compare the IMRA Wicklow Way Trail race would be 7. Which would be 25K. However care is needed as by the above scoring system the Wicklow Way Ultra would also be a 7, but it is down as a 10 (a special) in the IMRA calendar because it requires a lot more training.

The best thing to do is possibly to ask some of the more experienced IMRA heads or on the forum or on the IMRA boards thread about specific races and how they compare to RTL or what races they would recommend.

Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

mloc123 wrote: »

The short course would be around a 7. The IMRA three rock race is similar.

imra.ie/events/details/id/953/

If you can do RTL, you'll be fine with the Winter and Leinster league races.

The points system gives a good idea of races but you'll find some races tougher than others despite ranking.

Re the water at end of race. That's probably down to expectation.

There's no water at IMRA races, people bring their own so it's not an issue.

Those expecting water would probably be surprised there was none given their race experiences.

I think the water and Powerade during the race is fantastic and an unexpected bonus. After the race I don't believe anyone is expecting Nordic water melted from the polar caps, or a cheeky little Badoit. Tap water from the pub in a plastic cup would be grand. The point during a race in which you are suffering the most is the final 500m.

I don't understand the 'cut the slack' comment. All of the feedback has been incredibly positive. The RD solicited feedback on how to improve the race. Feedback was provided. Most races in the calendar are for worthy causes. It doesn't excuse a race organizer from not doing things right. If you are only interested in the worthy cause, then just make a significant donation to the DWMRT, and don't bother with the race. Thankfully in this instance, the organizers are pretty much hitting all the right notes and have little to do, to make the perfect race.

You've gone on off on several different bizarre tangents there Krusty while isolating part of my post not worth going into every specific in the thread here...

Water at the finish when the pub is 10m's after the finish is hardly worthy of feedback to the RD after running such a fantastic event....not just you but others as well worst case scenario bring some in the car stop being so petty.

I'd prefer and I'm sure they did prioritise getting everyone home safe and accounted for rather than filling cups with water at the end.

The Wicklow Way Trail would be tougher than Run the Line I reckon.

You've gone on off on several different bizarre tangents there Krusty while isolating part of my post not worth going into every specific in the thread here...

Water at the finish when the pub is 10m's after the finish is hardly worthy of feedback to the RD after running such a fantastic event....not just you but others as well worst case scenario bring some in the car stop being so petty.

I'd prefer and I'm sure they did prioritise getting everyone home safe and accounted for rather than filling cups with water at the end.
    I don't believe any of my feedback is tangential or bizarre. Personally I had no need for water and jogged down to Stepaside after the event, where I got plenty of liquid refreshment. The RD asked 'what would make the race better'. Many people (Facebook, IMRA forum, Boards forum) answered 'water at the finish line'. Why you feel this will impact safety and getting people home, I have absolutely no idea. Now that's bizarre. In fact, I'd imagine it would only add to runners safety.

What I find pathetic is some people's insistence that charity races and races for a good cause deserve some slack and can have lower standards. It's complete bull. We both agree that RunTheLine was an excellent race and I applaud the RD for soliciting feedback on how to make it better and ensure that in future it continues to be an excellent race and continues to provide funding for well-needed services long into the future.

I don't believe any of my feedback is tangential or bizarre. Personally I had no need for water and jogged down to Stepaside after the event, where I got plenty of liquid refreshment. The RD asked 'what would make the race better'. Many people (Facebook, IMRA forum, Boards forum) answered 'water at the finish line'. Why you feel this will impact safety and getting people home, I have absolutely no idea. Now that's bizarre. In fact, I'd imagine it would only add to runners safety.

What I find pathetic is some people's insistence that charity races and races for a good cause deserve some slack and can have lower standards. It's complete bull. We both agree that RunTheLine was an excellent race and I applaud the RD for soliciting feedback on how to make it better and ensure that in future it continues to be an excellent race and continues to provide funding for well-needed services long into the future.

....You're still whinging.....yawn...
    I don't really care what you did after you are entitled to your opinion no matter how petty they are and going by the number of posts you have sitting at a key board expressing them seems to be your speciality....sad really your outlook on things.
    Now good luck and remember George Carlin — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Advertisement

I see you're no longer even responding to my points. Glad to see you've come around to my way of thinking.
    Now good luck and remember George Carlin — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'
    I'll save my beatings for the race. See you in 2015. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I ran this last year, and while it was a great race, the lack of water at the finish was my one complaint as well. Normally, I couldn't care less about water during or after a race, unless it's a marathon, but I was quite dehydrated at the end of this and would have drunk water out of a bucket, but I ended up just heading back to my car (half a mile away) where I knew I had some as I wasn't in a mood to fight my way through the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

plodder wrote: »
    I ran this last year, and while it was a great race, the lack of water at the finish was my one complaint as well. Normally, I couldn't care less about water during or after a race, unless it's a marathon, but I was quite dehydrated at the end of this and would have drunk water out of a bucket, but I ended up just heading back to my car (half a mile away) where I knew I had some as I wasn't in a mood to fight my way through the pub.

There was water at the finish (upstairs in the function room of the pub) last year.

And from what I can remember, there was Tayto too !

Enduro wrote: »
    There was water at the finish (upstairs in the function room of the pub) last year.
    There wasn't any by the time I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

plodder wrote: »
    There wasn't any by the time I finished.

Did you actually go upstairs and look? I'd be fairly sure there was, as it was looking like a massive clean-up job at the end with the amount of un-used freebies still there (I was back up there after the prize giving, which itself was very late).

Enduro wrote: »
    Did you actually go upstairs and look?
    :) Of course I went upstairs and looked.

Instead of water I found a pint of Guinness did the trick :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Instead of water I found a pint of Guinness did the trick :)
    Note to RD: provide Guinness at finish line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Oryx wrote: »
    Note to RD: provide Guinness at finish line.

Lolz ;)

Advertisement