Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 NFL Super Bowl XLVIII

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Broncos
    TaosHum wrote: »
    That will be a factor, but when you look at how well they have drafted and coached up the players, they have the potential to be a force in the NFL for the next 10 years.

I would be more concerned about when will Pete Carroll decide to pack it in.

I think Carroll will go for a while yet, he is now set in stone as a legend up there, that will give him a lot of power.

The Hawks no doubt have some upcoming Salary questions to Solve

Wilson
    Sherman
    Their DEs

They'll all want to be paid over the next couple of years and you cant keep them all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I think Carroll will go for a while yet, he is now set in stone as a legend up there, that will give him a lot of power.

The Hawks no doubt have some upcoming Salary questions to Solve

Wilson
    Sherman
    Their DEs

They'll all want to be paid over the next couple of years and you cant keep them all..

I hope your right about Carroll, but he turns 63 in September, so its hard to tell how long more he decides to go for. One thing that is on his side though is that you would never think by looking at him he was in his 60's.

With regards to salaries in the upcoming years. You have to keep your franchise QB and the best CB in football.

With the way they have hit on players in FA and the draft, I don't see why that won't continue. They have to let go of some of their DE's but I have no doubt they will be able to find adequate replacements in the draft.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Broncos
    TaosHum wrote: »
    I hope your right about Carroll, but he turns 63 in September, so its hard to tell how long more he decides to go for. One thing that is on his side though is that you would never think by looking at him he was in his 60's.

With regards to salaries in the upcoming years. You have to keep your franchise QB and the best CB in football.

With the way they have hit on players in FA and the draft, I don't see why that won't continue. They have to let go of some of their DE's but I have no doubt they will be able to find adequate replacements in the draft.

part of the reason they were able to get those FA players is because they didnt have massive money tied up in Wilson/Sherman that is going to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Paully D wrote: »
    Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 3m
    Manning when kept clean last night - 99.0 QB rating. When pressured 33.1. SEA Pressured him 147% more than season average. Ball game.

I think they only blitzed 3 times in the whole game too! If you can get the kind of pressure the Seahawks got with only 4 then it's gonna be damn near impossible to thrown the ball!

(Edit 6 out of 51 attempts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is it worth watching back for someone who missed it live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Broncos

Yeah definitely, a defensive masterclass like the Seahawks put on is always worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

part of the reason they were able to get those FA players is because they didnt have massive money tied up in Wilson/Sherman that is going to change

I understand the point your making. With the extra money tied up in Sherman and Wilson, they won't be able to spend as much in FA. This will also mean that they will probably have to cut or not resign the likes of Bennett, Clemmons, Avril and maybe even Harvin.

But my point is that considering how well they have drafted and coached up players, they will continue to do that. You also have to factor in that the core of this team is very young and still hasn't reach their peak.

But, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nah, it wasn't much of a contest so probably not sitting through. Watch a five minute highlight reel on ESPN.com or something

Broncos
    The NFL are so lucky. There's a snow storm in the same area the Super Bowl was played today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Paully D wrote: »
    The NFL are so lucky. There's a snow storm in the same area the Super Bowl was played today.

It would probably have improved the game ironically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Broncos
    ckfdYDd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

When was the rule about the ball getting placed at the point of maximum progress brought in?
    When watching NFL in bygone years I thought if e.g. a member of the offense had the ball at the 35 and he was pushed back to the 40 and then knocked to the ground, the ball was placed at the 40, but now it would be the 35.
    Also, I thought that the play always ended either when the player went out of bounds or when he went to ground, but last night a couple times the player was pushed back but was never knocked and the umpire blew it up, placing the ball at the point of maximum progress. Again is this a relatively recent rule? (by relatively recent I mean in the last 20 years!)

Broncos
    When was the rule about the ball getting placed at the point of maximum progress brought in?
    When watching NFL in bygone years I thought if e.g. a member of the offense had the ball at the 35 and he was pushed back to the 40 and then knocked to the ground, the ball was placed at the 40, but now it would be the 35.
    Also, I thought that the play always ended either when the player went out of bounds or when he went to ground, but last night a couple times the player was pushed back but was never knocked and the umpire blew it up, placing the ball at the point of maximum progress. Again is this a relatively recent rule? (by relatively recent I mean in the last 20 years!)

You are talking about the rule Forward Progress. I can't remember when it was brought in but its been awhile, many years ago. I presume the rule was brought in to favor offense.

The refs are told to blow up the play if just say a RB carries a ball, gets stood up by the defense, a scrum forms and its clear the ball isn't going to be progressed, so they blow it up before the RB is unnecessarily thrown to the ground. That rule was brought in for safety and again its been there awhile, so long i don't remember when they brought it in or even if they brought it in during the time i have been watching the NFL (15ish years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

Broncos
    I remember none of this... where can u re watch it.... that's a lie actually. There was a safety right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i just feel sorry for peyton. watching NFL AM on gamepass now and they're just harping on about his legacy and what it means. such BS.

i can see the NFC dominate for years. thought the conference was stronger last year as well, i thought 49ers would kill the ravens. you could have seen the 49ers, panthers or even saints win this year but not really the colts, chargers or pats

i just feel sorry for peyton. watching NFL AM on gamepass now and they're just harping on about his legacy and what it means. such BS.

i can see the NFC dominate for years. thought the conference was stronger last year as well, i thought 49ers would kill the ravens. you could have seen the 49ers, panthers or even saints win this year but not really the colts, chargers or pats

I don't agree that its bs. His legacy lies in tatters after last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

spiralism wrote: »

Yup, his legacy lies in tatters, and broncos need to sack the entire coaching team and cut manning and thomas and von miller and just rebuild. My god.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Really? You cant judge a career like Peytons on one game, be it a Superbowl or a week 1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

What??

He came up against one of the best defences in recent memory a and certainly the best against the pass that there ever was or may ever be!! The Seahwaks defence looked like they were possesed all night! You can then add that to the performance of his O-line and the fact that only one of his receivers seemed to have any interest on getting open (has Eric decker been found yet)!

Manning was poor last night but I don't care what QB you out there the result would have been the same!

Ridiculous comment

• Advertisement

Really? You cant judge a career like Peytons on one game, be it a Superbowl or a week 1 game.

When it's arguably the biggest game of his career in terms of cementing his legacy and he chokes yet again it's just another piece in the puzzle. He's the most high profile bottler in sports, he's too OCD to be a champion. He's got Rex Grossman to thank for not retiring ringless in all honesty.

The whole team and coaching staff was not worth a **** though, he should have joined the niners and their defence and an actual decent coach may well have carried him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Broncos
    I couldn't see the Panters or Saints having a greater chance than the Pats/Colts. Panters/Saints only just won/lost against the Pats.

49ers and Seattle were a step above the rest.
    But both have QB issues in 2015 when it comes to handling out their $100m contracts that start eating away at the rest of the squad.
    That cap hit cannot be underestimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thought Chancellor deserved MVP. For as good as Sherman is, Thomas and Chancellor are more important to that secondary IMO.

That's what I thought last night and I still think it. Grant it, in a masterful defensive performance like last night, singling out one player is difficult. But Chancellor came on the field, set the tone, raised the bar for all his teammates to follow. And they did. I'm sounding like a broken record now, but I've never seen anything like it. For me it even beats the 1985 Bears defense and they were legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I do not understand how Manning choked. His interceptions were forced. It wasnt a case of him just chucking it into the arms of somebody. His arm was caught as he threw both of them. All of these were on his offensive line. The safety at the start was due to his Centre. He did fumble one ball as he was being sacked. Another turnover was the WR fumbling the ball. And the Seahawk took EVERY single opportunity.

He completed 33 passed from 49 with 280 yards. 67% completion rate against the best D in the league, which was fairly impressive considering he had to throw it for most of the game. His completion rate V the Patriots (very much a lesser D) was 74% and a lowly 61% at home against the Chargers. It wasnt as if his performance rate was wildly different to other games.

No Quarterback could have won that game.

Broncos
    His interceptions were forced.
    But he forced them.
    The first was just a bad pass, simple as that.
    And he should have just taken the sack for the second.

The Seattle defense was immense, and they did put pressure on Payton.
    But he's meant to be a great QB, and the mistakes at 8:0 and again at 15:0 were game killers.
    A lot more went wrong for the Broncos on the night, but Payton has to shoulder his part in the defeat.
    His 33 completed passes and 280yards came when the game was dead, not when it was still a fight.

It's a tough lose for Denver, tougher still for Manning.
    But they'll just have to come back again next year and look to get over the hurdle.

Broncos
    :pac::pac::pac:

proxy.jpg?t=HBg9aHR0cDovL2ltZy5nYXdrZXJhc3NldHMuY29tL2ltZy8xOWVrN2JmZGkwYjlmcG5nL2stYmlncGljLnBuZxSAChTQBQAWABIA&s=-8tTZidE9oQGp1pUIO1PrKA6LnDh8evewAX17CCVwQQ

• Advertisement

Broncos
    I do not understand how Manning choked. His interceptions were forced. It wasnt a case of him just chucking it into the arms of somebody. His arm was caught as he threw both of them. All of these were on his offensive line. The safety at the start was due to his Centre. He did fumble one ball as he was being sacked. Another turnover was the WR fumbling the ball. And the Seahawk took EVERY single opportunity.

He completed 33 passed from 49 with 280 yards. 67% completion rate against the best D in the league, which was fairly impressive considering he had to throw it for most of the game. His completion rate V the Patriots (very much a lesser D) was 74% and a lowly 61% at home against the Chargers. It wasnt as if his performance rate was wildly different to other games.

I think its a reasonably fair comment to say Manning choked. He should have never thrown or attempted to throw the ball in those two instances that caused INTs. He should have been more aware of the pressure around him, it seemed like he was forcing it. He could have been picked off on two other separate occasions also (the deep ball where Decker grabbed Sherman and no PI called and one ball he just launched into the middle of the field with no Bronco in site). I think you are apologizing for Manning too much. Manning never makes those mistakes in lesser games, turnovers are more important than completion % and QB rating.

But saying Manning choked ignores the fact that the entire Broncos organization choked:
    • Their WRs choked, dropped passes and fumbles
    • Their OL choked, snapping the ball over Manning's head
    • The entire offense choked, the greatest offense in NFL history only scored 8 points in the Super Bowl!
    • Their Defense choked, tons of missed tackles
    • Their Special teams choked, tons of missed tackles and missed assignments on the Harvin return
    • Their Coaching choked, bad 1st half challenge, not taking points before the half, John Fox saying they didn't need to practice in noise because Super Bowl crowds aren't that loud...the Safety was directly the result of that, not to mention the Broncos looked scared coming out onto the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think you're spot on there Hazys and it's wrong for anyone to put it all on Manning shoulders. Probably no coincidence that the only WR with the balls to try and play last night was wee Wes Welker. And we all know what tough SOB made him the player that he is.

Hazys wrote: »
    I think its a reasonably fair comment to say Manning choked. He should have never thrown or attempted to throw the ball in those two instances that caused INTs. He should have been more aware of the pressure around him, it seemed like he was forcing it. He could have been picked off on two other separate occasions also (the deep ball where Decker grabbed Sherman and no PI called and one ball he just launched into the middle of the field with no Bronco in site). I think you are apologizing for Manning too much. Manning never makes those mistakes in lesser games, turnovers are more important than completion % and QB rating.

But saying Manning choked ignores the fact that the entire Broncos organization choked:
    • Their WRs choked, dropped passes and fumbles
    • Their OL choked, snapping the ball over Manning's head
    • The entire offense choked, the greatest offense in NFL history only scored 8 points in the Super Bowl!
    • Their Defense choked, tons of missed tackles
    • Their Special teams choked, tons of missed tackles and missed assignments on the Harvin return
    • Their Coaching choked, bad 1st half challenge, not taking points before the half, John Fox saying they didn't need to practice in noise because Super Bowl crowds aren't that loud...the Safety was directly the result of that, not to mention the Broncos looked scared coming out onto the field.

Couldn't agree more. This was a choke from the top level of the organisation down, a total failure in each and every department. It's a culture with this team ultimately. As long as i'm alive i'm pretty sure this team will never win a superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I agree that Manning choked last night. He is the QB and leader of the team. If they had won he would have been the hero so it works both ways.

Obviously the rest of the Broncos take the blame too but to me Manning is no Joe Montana who thrived on the pressure of the big games and has the rings to prove it.

As good as Manning can be, there is no getting away from his record in the big post season games. I'd have Brady ahead of him too based on his success and performances on the big stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The reigning league MVP. Last night doesn't change that, and that is only the most recent of his accomplishments.

Notion that is legacy "is in tatters" is absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Honestly, the excuses that get made for Manning are vomit inducing

Let him own some of his mistakes and poor throws ffs, it doesnt mean he isnt an amazing QB

Edit: I see others have made the point better then me so wont go any further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Manning probably did choke, but then again so has every NFL QB and player in the NFL.

Broncos
    Knex. wrote: »
    The reigning league MVP. Last night doesn't change that, and that is only the most recent of his accomplishments.

I guess it depends on your view before the game of his legacy.
    Some will have him as GOAT, and won't be shifted.
    Some will have him as a great QB, but just short of the greatest QB's.
    Others will have him as a choker and will feel vindicated.

I agree that last night doesn't 'define' Payton Manning.
    But it was undoubtedly a knock against him given his previous record in the playoffs.
    That was a loaded Broncos team. He wasn't throwing to rubbish out there.
    Payton had a bad game, and on a night when just about everyone else didn't perform, that's when they needed their HOF QB.

MVP of the regular season is great, but it ain't no ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Broncos
    Knex. wrote: »

He is the greatest regular season QB of all time but in the overall scheme of things his legacy is in tatters because he has failed to play to the same standard in the playoffs and has choked too often.

When he retires, unless he gets another ring that is, every time the greatest QBs are discussed it will always be mentioned that he didn't do enough in the playoffs to be top of the pile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

SK1979 wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with this, I think the Broncos would struggle against the 49ers as well. They are so utterly dominant up front that they would have Manning under all sorts of pressure.

For me, they are the 2nd best team in the NFL. Themselves and the Seahawks just play defence on a different level to every other team. The speed and agression is way ahead of the rest.

I think Broncos WRs would have a better chance against the 49ers defensive backs. Couldn't see them containing them as easily as the Seahawks did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

MetLife Stadium twelve hours after the game.

BfjfL_XCUAAN4vr.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

kryogen wrote: »
    Honestly, the excuses that get made for Manning are vomit inducing

Let him own some of his mistakes and poor throws ffs, it doesnt mean he isnt an amazing QB

Edit: I see others have made the point better then me so wont go any further

You're not going over the top a tad bit at all. Do you have some thing with Manning?

You're not going over the top a tad bit at all. Do you have some thing with Manning?

Dont take it personal, its not just you, you hear it in the media etc too.

It is vomit inducing at this stage, there is always an excuse made for him, this was actually discussed at some length here recently enough wasnt it?

My thoughts on Manning are extremely well documented by now.

He is on another level to 99% of the other QB's out there. Doesnt mean he cant make mistakes, doesnt mean he cant choke.

He has history of doing it.

He made some terrible decisions in that game and he should own them, its not like the whole performance is on him, but you cant just let him off the hook and excuse him from criticism, he would be held up as the hero of the piece and a guaranteed superbowl MVP if they had won, he is going to take some flak given the poor performance he put in.

Broncos
    Dont take it personal, its not just you, you hear it in the media etc too.

It is vomit inducing at this stage, there is always an excuse made for him, this was actually discussed at some length here recently enough wasnt it?

My thoughts on Manning are extremely well documented by now.

He is on another level to 99% of the other QB's out there. Doesnt mean he cant make mistakes, doesnt mean he cant choke.

He has history of doing it.

He made some terrible decisions in that game and he should own them, its not like the whole performance is on him, but you cant just let him off the hook and excuse him from criticism, he would be held up as the hero of the piece and a guaranteed superbowl MVP if they had won, he is going to take some flak given the poor performance he put in.

most people agree with you he played terrible but hes still one of the greatest qbs to ever play the game. nobody said he cant make mistakes everybody in every profession in the world does.

you seem to be constantly getting offended by nothing tbh.

im supprised at the delight some of the pats fans have shown at mannings poor (not tarring everyone but iv herd a few different people already)

Broncos
    im supprised at the delight some of the pats fans have shown at mannings poor (not tarring everyone but iv herd a few different people already)

Not sure why you'd be surprised; there are fans of rival tams that don't want to see their opposition succeed.

Similarly I wouldn't have been surprised if there were fans that would take delight if it was Brady that flopped last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Suppose I was blessed with a rare talent that gives me the capacity to like multiple QB's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not sure why you'd be surprised; there are fans of rival tams that don't want to see their opposition succeed.

Similarly I wouldn't have been surprised if there were fans that would take delight if it was Brady that flopped last night.

Not to mention the person who first claimed on here that Manning's reputation is in tatters is a Broncos fan.

most people agree with you he played terrible but hes still one of the greatest qbs to ever play the game. nobody said he cant make mistakes everybody in every profession in the world does.

you seem to be constantly getting offended by nothing tbh.

Show me some examples of that please

This is what I responded to. You dont see someone making excuses for Manning there instead of letting him take the blame for his errors?

Really? You seem to be having difficulty following linear conversation then.

How many more times or different ways do I have to say how great a quarter back Manning is?

Broncos

why are the broncos a rival team because there in the afc? there probably would be people taking delight in brady flopping but they would be petty jealous fools in my opinion

Suppose I was blessed with a rare talent that gives me the capacity to like multiple QB's

If you take a wander into the Pats thread you will find plenty of the posters having said how great Manning was, and that if it cant be Brady they would like it to be Manning. How many said they would be happy to see him get another ring that his career and a QB of his calibre deserves?

Despite the self importance, it isnt that rare.

Broncos
    Show me some examples of that please

This is what I responded to. You dont see someone making excuses for Manning there instead of letting him take the blame for his errors?

Really? You seem to be having difficulty following linear conversation then.

How many more times or different ways do I have to say how great a quarter back Manning is?

you said there is always excuses made for him and its "vomit inducing"

In fairness, many of them in the NE thread did wish manning well. But choking in sports is an inexcusable phenomenon and will be panned and lapped up by other fans alike. Manning choked. Again. It's why he's not up there when all is said and done

Broncos
    If you take a wander into the Pats thread you will find plenty of the posters having said how great Manning was, and that if it cant be Brady they would like it to be Manning. How many said they would be happy to see him get another ring that his career and a QB of his calibre deserves?

Despite the self importance, it isnt that rare.

iv no doubt about it it tbh i find most of the pats supporters on here to be very knowledgeable where a team that successful would normally have a lot of .......miami heat type fans

just surprised that the few that seem very happy about it seem to be pats fans ruined what could have been a great superbowl for me

you said there is always excuses made for him and its "vomit inducing"

Thats your lot?

I was expecting more tbh.........you would think there would be more, not to mention valid examples of someone getting "constantly" offended by nothing.

What about the rest of the post? Care to respond to that?

Or does it just negate anything else you had to say sufficiently that we are done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I started to tune out of the Superbowl after half time and started watching a different Superbowl, in my imagination. Turns out someone else had already come up with an analysis of the one in my head:

http://cheezburger.com/8034530816

Advertisement