Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 NFL Super Bowl XLVIII

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

700,000 people are in downtown Seattle right now. For perspective, the population of the city of Seattle is only 650,000. It's also about -3C outside. I stayed well away. (I also had work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,731 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Bears D in 1985 was one of the best ever. I would put the Giants D of the following year right up there. I think they were devastating in the playoffs; 49-3 win vs. SF and didn't they shut out the Redskins in the championship game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

walshb wrote: »
    The Bears D in 1985 was one of the best ever. I would put the Giants D of the following year right up there. I think they were devastating in the playoffs; 49-3 win vs. SF and didn't they shut out the Redskins in the championship game?

Three consecutive shutouts in the NFC Championship games in a row, from '84-86. Weird no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Rumours going around in the past couple of days that Broncos players were on the piss in a major way for Super Bowl week. Not good.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/peyton_manning_ped_rumors_von_miller_partying_the_five_hidden_sb48_headlines/15707981?linksrc=story_player_von_miller__nfl_auto_module_head_15707981

Twitter there's people saying the same and that Broncos players were on the lash all week until saturday when their hotel was switched. As the link above says, that's suspicious in itself.

Between this and the total lack of on field preparation the team clearly showed on Sunday, John Fox has a lot to answer for. In the end of season presser, Elway seemed very agitated and you'd have to wonder if the extension that was being touted for Fox on superbowl eve is now off the table.

Broncos
    id be shocked if peyton let that happen that was a huge game for him and one he would have appreciated the gravity of more than most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

walshb wrote: »

They shut out the Redskins but it was the only shut out they had during their Super Bowl run. The Bears had 4 shut outs in 1985 and remain the only team to have complete shut outs in the Divisional game and the NFC title games. They only allowed 10 points in the Super Bowl. So those 10 points would have represented on average 3.33 points a game during the post season. Over the same post season period, the Giants on average allowed 7.66 points a game which was well over double what the Bears allowed. That said, it was still very impressive defense.

Now looking at the 2013 Seahawks, like the Giants, they also had only 1 shut out during their Super Bowl season. And in the post season, they allowed on average 13.33 points a game. Or 4 times more points than what the 1985 Bears allowed. That's what elevates the 1985 Bears for me, they were a great defense that just stepped up to another level in the post season.

id be shocked if peyton let that happen that was a huge game for him and one he would have appreciated the gravity of more than most

I dunno though, its been said a few times now and the team changing hotels is very sketchy, as if they needed to be kept out of temptation's way...the night before the superbowl. Hillman wasn't likely to see the field but was still on the roster yet it was well reported that he was caught falling out of a strip club during the week. Fox is the type as well that wouldn't order his players to stay in either, rather he'd expect them to themselves.

Couple that with the botched snap on the first play which has since been attributed to Fox not turning crowd noise up in practice as a Super Bowl "isn't that loud" and how the offence switched to old signals and cadences on the silent count (which Seattle players have since said they recognised and knew what was coming) and it looks extremely poor on the coaching staff's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,731 ✭✭✭✭walshb

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Three consecutive shutouts in the NFC Championship games in a row, from '84-86. Weird no?

That's right. I think it was SF-Chicago in 1984? 23-0 rings a bell. Will check later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Correct 49ers beat the Bears 23-0, then Bears beat the Rams 24-0 then Giants beat the Redskins 17-0

spiralism wrote: »
    I dunno though, its been said a few times now and the team changing hotels is very sketchy, as if they needed to be kept out of temptation's way...the night before the superbowl. Hillman wasn't likely to see the field but was still on the roster yet it was well reported that he was caught falling out of a strip club during the week. Fox is the type as well that wouldn't order his players to stay in either, rather he'd expect them to themselves.

Couple that with the botched snap on the first play which has since been attributed to Fox not turning crowd noise up in practice as a Super Bowl "isn't that loud" and how the offence switched to old signals and cadences on the silent count (which Seattle players have since said they recognised and knew what was coming) and it looks extremely poor on the coaching staff's end.

One man falling out of a strip club doesn't mean the bottom fell out on team team discipline. No coach in the NFL tries to be a player's friend as much as Carroll. So if anything you'd expect it to happen to his team, yet it didn't. Indeed he had his fair share of sniping critics when he returned to the NFL because of his approach. Fox can talk the talk, but he can't walk the walk - the players have to do that on the field. And once Kam Chancellor laid a huge hit on Demaryius Thomas the tone was set and the Broncos hadn't the stomach for the fight. That for me is the fault of each professional sportsman that wore the orange jersey and not the Coach.

I think the media have over played the botched snap and the noise issue also. Is was the nosiest Super Bowl I can remember for a long time. Fox didn't prepare for it and I think a lot of coaches may have also done the same thing. But we are talking about just 2 points they gave up.The issue about an opponent reading and anticipating signals should always be expected. Because that's a priority for them and their DC, before they even get to game day. But if anything, I'd be more inclined to put the blame for that on Manning not the coaching staff. It is his offense that he brought from Indianapolis and it's him that is better placed than anyone to be making those line of scrimmage adjustments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Broncos
    They shut out the Redskins but it was the only shut out they had during their Super Bowl run. The Bears had 4 shut outs in 1985 and remain the only team to have complete shut outs in the Divisional game and the NFC title games. They only allowed 10 points in the Super Bowl. So those 10 points would have represented on average 3.33 points a game during the post season. Over the same post seasonperiod, the Giants on average allowed 7.66 points a game which was well over double what the Bears allowed. That said, it was still very impressive defense.

Now looking at the 2013 Seahawks, like the Giants, they also had only 1 shut out during their Super Bowl season. And in the post season, they allowed on average 13.33 points a game. Or 4 times more points than what the 1985 Bears allowed. That's what elevates the
    1985 Bears for me, they were a great defense that just stepped up to another level in the post season.

I think you are forgetting how much the game has changed. There is no way any top team is going to be held scoreless these days.

The Seahawks D for me ranks top of the list alongside some of those you have mentioned. There is far more scoring in today's game and it's almost impossible to compare. The Giants D was so good because of LT and the way he changed the linebacker position, before then the DL was the be all and end all, now the secondary or even the back 7/8 is becoming more important than the front of the D.
    I realise you needed good personnel in the secondary back in the day but the Seahawks would have shut down almost any offense in the era of the Bears or Giants time at the top of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

adrian522 wrote: »
    Correct 49ers beat the Bears 23-0

Wasn't wanting to mention that part. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Broncos
    spiralism wrote: »
    Rumours going around in the past couple of days that Broncos players were on the piss in a major way for Super Bowl week. Not good.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/peyton_manning_ped_rumors_von_miller_partying_the_five_hidden_sb48_headlines/15707981?linksrc=story_player_von_miller__nfl_auto_module_head_15707981

Twitter there's people saying the same and that Broncos players were on the lash all week until saturday when their hotel was switched. As the link above says, that's suspicious in itself.

Between this and the total lack of on field preparation the team clearly showed on Sunday, John Fox has a lot to answer for. In the end of season presser, Elway seemed very agitated and you'd have to wonder if the extension that was being touted for Fox on superbowl eve is now off the table.

After reading the texts between Martin and Incognito, if they are representative of the partying culture in the NFL then I wouldn't be at all surprised if some players were drinking.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Seahawks D for me ranks top of the list alongside some of those you have mentioned. There is far more scoring in today's game and it's almost impossible to compare.

There isn't actually far more scoring today when compared to the 1985 Bears Super Bowl season.There is only a very marginal difference in overall scoring averages per game. The only change really has been a slight change in emphasis from Rushing to Passing TD's

In 2013: The average NFL offense scored 23.4 points per game - 0.6 Rushing TD's and 1.6 Receiving TD's.

In 1985: The average NFL offense scored 21.5 points per game - 1 Rushing TD's and 1.3 Receiving TD's.

So offenses scored 1.9 points more per game than in the 1985 Bears SB winning season. That for me represents no significant difference. Considering we know live in a pass happy age, there is only a 0.6 swing for average passing TD's per game. Which again isn't really significant. So I don't think it's a case of it being harder to stop today's high scoring offenses. Because as the statistical scoring averages demonstrates, there isn't really much of a difference between 2013 and 1985 offenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

There isn't actually far more scoring today when compared to the 1985 Bears Super Bowl season.There is only a very marginal difference in overall scoring averages per game. The only change really has been a slight change in emphasis from Rushing to Passing TD's

In 2013: The average NFL offense scored 23.4 points per game - 0.6 Rushing TD's and 1.6 Receiving TD's.

In 1985: The average NFL offense scored 21.5 points per game - 1 Rushing TD's and 1.3 Receiving TD's.

So offenses scored 1.9 points more per game than in the 1985 Bears SB winning season. That for me represents no significant difference. Considering we know live in a pass happy age, there is only a 0.6 swing for average passing TD's per game. Which again isn't really significant. So I don't think it's a case of it being harder to stop today's high scoring offenses. Because as the statistical scoring averages demonstrates, there isn't really much of a difference between 2013 and 1985 offenses.

I have to say, that does surprise me. There seems to be a lot more high-scoring games in today's NFL. This years Seattle D is designed perfectly for the modern NFL and deserves to be compared to the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens (I'd throw the 86 Giants in there too)

poldebruin wrote: »
    I have to say, that does surprise me. There seems to be a lot more high-scoring games in today's NFL.

It might surprise a few people alright, but looking at a number of different seasons. The comparative statistics demonstrate there's isn't much of a difference. Offensively the 1985 Bears finished the regular season with a total of 456 points. The 2013 Seahawks offense finished their regular season with a total of 417 points. I think today's pass happy league has invariable lead to more QB passing yards and more passing TD's. And I think that might have possibly created a false perception of higher scoring games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Broncos
    Paully D wrote: »
    After reading the texts between Martin and Incognito, if they are representative of the partying culture in the NFL then I wouldn't be at all surprised if some players were drinking.

Amazing from those texts the amount of partying they were doing during the regular season. No wonder the Fin's don't win the division! Every single gameweek they seemed to be drinking or hitting the strip bars/hookers. It's actually ridiculous.

Thank god good Ol' Green Bay has bugger all to offer.

Amazing from those texts the amount of partying they were doing during the regular season. No wonder the Fin's don't win the division! Every single gameweek they seemed to be drinking or hitting the strip bars/hookers. It's actually ridiculous.

Thank god good Ol' Green Bay has bugger all to offer.

Doesn't surprise me, it's a bunch of young, famous and extremely wealthy lads. Sure look at the Cowboys in the 90s, Irvin and the boys would have put Tony Montana and Manny Ribera to shame but they still succeeded nonetheless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Broncos

Partying in Miami? I'm sure Bryant McKinnie was there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Broncos
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Partying in Miami? I'm sure Bryant McKinnie was there!

He apparently owed $375,000 to a strip club in Miami at last check. Beats me why they even bother. As rich, professional athletes they could go out and pick up almost whoever they wanted on a night out. Idiots.

Beats me why they even bother. As rich, professional athletes they could go out and pick up almost whoever they wanted on a night out. Idiots.

Not a sportsman man but look at the likes of Charlie Sheen. The guy was hooked on hookers for years and had no shame about it. Considering those groupie types that follow Celebs, it's pretty pathetic to have fame and fortune and to end up needing to pay for some action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As Charlie himself said, he wasnt paying them for the sex

He was paying them to leave after

Advertisement