Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone recommend what food to feed my dog?

• 22-01-2014 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a puppy Alaskan Malamute in a few days, I've been doing some research on food, and I can't decide what food to feed him. I had originally decided on Royal Canin, but once I read the ingredients I realized Royal Canin is not that much better than pedigree as it uses corn as a filler. I then looked at Burns, and I dislike the fact that the first ingredient is brown rice and not meat. Then I looked at James Wellbeloved, this food seems good, but the puppy food seems to only be available for all dogs, rather than specific sizes, and as far as I know, an Alaskan Malamute and a Chihuahua require different nutrition. Then I looked at Applaws, which seems like a very good dog food, 75% meat and doesn't seem to have any fillers based on the ingredient list. My only issue is, if I forget to order online and run out, I have to go to the other side of Dublin to find somewhere that stocks it, and it works out quite a bit more expensive than other premium choices.
    Can anyone help me make this decision? I'm willing to pay a lot for decent dog food, but I would prefer to spend less if that's possible, and being readily available in Dublin is also a huge plus. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm getting a puppy Alaskan Malamute in a few days, I've been doing some research on food, and I can't decide what food to feed him. I had originally decided on Royal Canin, but once I read the ingredients I realized Royal Canin is not that much better than pedigree as it uses corn as a filler. I then looked at Burns, and I dislike the fact that the first ingredient is brown rice and not meat. Then I looked at James Wellbeloved, this food seems good, but the puppy food seems to only be available for all dogs, rather than specific sizes, and as far as I know, an Alaskan Malamute and a Chihuahua require different nutrition. Then I looked at Applaws, which seems like a very good dog food, 75% meat and doesn't seem to have any fillers based on the ingredient list. My only issue is, if I forget to order online and run out, I have to go to the other side of Dublin to find somewhere that stocks it, and it works out quite a bit more expensive than other premium choices.
    Can anyone help me make this decision? I'm willing to pay a lot for decent dog food, but I would prefer to spend less if that's possible, and being readily available in Dublin is also a huge plus. Thanks.

Well for a start, find out what the breeder is feeding first and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

andreac wrote: »
    Well for a start, find out what the breeder is feeding first and go from there.
    That was my intention, and I plan to switch him slowly if he isn't already on a food I think is of high enough quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Applaws as you noted, Acana/Orijen and Taste of the Wild are all high quality the brands and the last two you might find in a local store as well. Alternatively you could look at Markus Mühle.

From my experience though Zooplus will usually deliver with in three working days so if you keep an eye on it (or use a storage container) you could simply draw a line and once it gets to that level you order a new bag and you'll have it long before the old one expire. Another alternative is to prepare lets say 10 raw meals every month to be frozen (and then use the once you did last month to feed him while waiting for the dry to arrive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I have mine on lukullus from zooplus.
    It's not really cheap for two dogs, but I think it is a good quality.
    I have been reading the reviews around and on dogfoodanalysis.
    Plus they have been for a couple of months on royal canin as I had two big bags and the coat was not very good, after switching to lukullus the coat improved a lot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I had my cocker on Burns for 6 years found it great, bought it from zooplus...

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/burns

Ive now switched to Taste of the wild:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild/231924

I also supplement with some salmon oil each day, plus sardines once a week.... and the odd time a raw egg mixed in.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/hair_skin/more_skin_and_coat_supplements/139892

for treats he loves sugar snaps peas (in their pods), raw peppers, broccilli etc... anything crunchie i reckon :pac:

• Advertisement

Dont be put off buy and food not being not being available in Dublin. I have orderd mine online for the last 6/7 years from www.zooplus.ie

They deliver pretty quickly, plus I usually order 2 x 15kg bags, plus the salmon oil and some treats yes the order cost me over €100, BUT its lasts me like 5-6 months depending.

Best of luck with your new puppy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

What about raw feeding?

We're getting our second Husky shortly and plan on introducing a raw diet a lot sooner than we did on his now nearly 3 year old brother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭shanec1928

looking at taste of the wild on zoo plus would it be suitable for a 6 month old golden retriever?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

We have our dog on taste of the wild puppy, we order it from amazon, we keep an eye on the bag and order when we've just over a week left. Comes in about 4 days.
    We previously ordered normal Taste of the wild and found the kibble to be too large for our puppy, but our puppy would be a good bit smaller then yours. Found that it worked out similar price wise as the food we were feeding previously as you give them less.

There was a great thread on here a while ago about food by Nody I think.. .maybe someone could link it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

After trying a few types, I have pretty much settled on Skinners (duck and rice). Available from Petbliss, Wicklow ( they deliver) and its priced from about 30euro per 15kg bag ....I got it for my guys because he tends to windy and has skin issues. Works well and is reasonable price.

I have also used EDEN (from Titan Pet Foods, Swords - also deliver) found this very good as well, but it is 65euro per 15kg and a Malamute will get thru that fairly fast.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    looking at taste of the wild on zoo plus would it be suitable for a 6 month old golden retriever?

Yes i think so, I moved my cocker from puppy food to adult food at 6 months.

just remember of you are going to move foods do it over a 1 week period, half and half... to avoid any upset :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Switched to Markus Mühle and I think it is great stuff. Dog loves it and seems to be doing really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jazbee wrote: »
    There was a great thread on here a while ago about food by Nody I think.. .maybe someone could link it?
    Was you thinking of this post? That was the one I was challenged to get dog food for less then 50 EUR per bag :). I got a few other linking to this review site as well (that link is the top listed 6* dry foods but I've used it comments on other brands as well in discussions).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Nody wrote: »
    Was you thinking of this post? That was the one I was challenged to get dog food for less then 50 EUR per bag :). I got a few other linking to this review site as well (that link is the top listed 6* dry foods but I've used it comments on other brands as well in discussions).

Yes that's the thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

OP I feed my GSD 100% raw food and have done since he was 4 months old. I think it was the best decision I ever made. He is almost 2 now, fit, healthy with boundless energy and no extra 'padding' on his 40 + kilo body. Good breath, great oder free coat, small one a day poops, snow white teeth and is never ill. Might be something to look into. Best of luck with new puppy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    That nice warn feeling you get when you have helped someone, and they thank you.

If you're looking for thanks, then I'll thank you not to be so sarky, and perhaps bear in mind that the OP may not have had an opportunity yet to race back to ensure that your contribution to their enquiry has been suitably acknowledged.
    In other words, give it a rest.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

logik wrote: »
    Switched to Markus Mühle and I think it is great stuff. Dog loves it and seems to be doing really well.

me too its the first food that miss fusspot literally hops up and down for, they were on Whites and Burns before and she was very 'meh' about them but they must be putting the good stuff in Markus Muhle !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Feed my chaps Arcana...very good and I vary it for them with different flavours. They both love it and its an excellent quality food. Pricey though.
    Orejen is excellent and I was feeding that to the pom but switched to Arcana for the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Thanks for all the suggestions, decided to go with Real Nature in the end, as it's easily available in Maxi Zoo and has a good ingredient list, and works out about the same as Applaws would have worked out, even though it's not of as good quality, the advantage of being able to pick it up 5 minutes down the road is valuable to me and it's still a great food. I've considered raw feeding before, but I just don't have the space and time for that, all I've got is a small mini freezer attached to my fridge and I don't have anywhere else to put another freezer, and half the time I forget to defrost my own dinner. I'll definitely try some of these suggestions if Real Nature doesn't work out well :)

Advertisement