Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you wear make-up everyday?

• 22-01-2014 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi all

Thought I'd put this thread together as I was inspired by a conversation with a friend of mine the other day. We were discussing foundation and she mentioned that she never, ever ever leaves the house without her full face of make-up nor opens the door to visitors. I was quite shocked at this revelation tbh.

I love make-up - I have bags of it from budget to high-end. But I don't wear it on a daily basis. In fact, I only ever wear make-up on a night out/special event. My skin wouldn't have been the best (acne) in my mid teens to early twenties, yet I have never felt compelled to wear foundation, etc. Likewise, I'm very lazy :o and wouldn't fair well with powdering my nose throughout the day. This year I aspire to make more of an effort and maybe don a nice lipstick, bit of foundation and mascara 2-3 times a week.

So I'm just wondering am I alone on this?! Does everyone wear make-up everyday? Just for an age profile, I'm a 24 yo female and work/study in a university.

Disclaimer: I'm not judging my friend or indeed anyone who wears make-up daily - in fact I'm quite envious of how expertly some people are at applying make-up and looking immaculate.

STeapot

Do you wear make-up every day? 81 votes

Yes, I wear the 'works' everyday. Foundation, blusher, lipstick...you name it....I'm wearing it
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but I only wear the bare minimum. (i.e. lip-gloss, tinted moisturizer, light foundation, etc.)
    46% 38 votes
    No, I don't wear make-up on a daily basis. Zilch
    53% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 kelfy

I chose 'bare minimum' but being honest, it is a little more than that without being the works. It tends to change day-to-day depending on how I am looking and feeling. Also I never touch up during the day - I just leave it to melt off! Couldn't be bothered really, but if I am going out after work I will bring a lipstick or eye liner or something. This is to make myself feel more 'put-together' though, I could leave it out.

I used to be a little bit like your friend - I would always put something on my skin before going out, even if it was just to the shops. More recently however, I've been trying to embrace the bare look. I remember reading Ruby & Millie's make up book and they had a theory about make up not having as much impact if you wore it everyday, which made sense to me. I like to look somewhat groomed for work and in the morning going through my routine makes me feel ready for the day. I do really enjoy putting it on!
    I was recently thinking about make up and how I used to use it. I used to always put on more when I was tired to cover it up, and if I was pale I wanted to look healthier or well rested. But now if I am looking a little run down I will put on my usual amount - I think it is ok to show that I succumb to tiredness etc! Obviously it depends on the context but I decided to try to make my make up use a bit more realistic - I don't need to look like I am walking a red carpet every day. So if I look a bit dishevelled towards the end of the day maybe then I am a bit tired! My confidence has grown recently in terms of my skin and the expectations I place upon myself looks wise have been cut down to a more manageable amount.

Continuing your age profile, I am turning 24 soon and I work full-time.

On a side-note this is my first post on boards - looking forward to getting involved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Only going out and Ive never worn foundation, in truth Im not really sure what its for.

2 years ago I bought a bb cream and occasionally use that and then a mineral powder over it plus eyes/lips going out, more often just eyes/lips. Actually my lippy tends to wear off quickly on a night out so I usually just end up with eyes done!

Im almost 40 and work in an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

I was unsure which one to choose, I'm in between really.
    No, I don't wear makeup on a daily basis, if I was staying in that day then I wouldn't or if I was just popping down to the shops to grab something then I wouldn't. But on my days going to college, going into town shopping, going out for the night etc., then I do wear makeup and I put on "the works"! I wouldn't like to go places without wearing makeup (minus a quick pop to the shops).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I NEVER wear make-up. I'm 31 and starting my own business.

I do, however have over 50 different types of hair styling products and can spend up to 30 minutes getting my hair right each day. (That's max, though, usually 5-7 minutes and I'm done.)

I used to wear makeup (minimally) when I was younger. But really minimal- tinted moisturiser, some eye shadow and clear mascara. I've changed my look in the last few years and makeup would just look weird. Plus I'm very happy with my skin and complexion (most of the time!) so I don't see the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

24 year old, currently unemployed teacher

I save "the works" for nights out and generally don't wear makeup during the day. If I was going for lunch or doing some subbing work I'd wear a bit of powder, mascara and maybe a nude eyeshadow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hi all

Thought I'd put this thread together as I was inspired by a conversation with a friend of mine the other day. We were discussing foundation and she mentioned that she never, ever ever leaves the house without her full face of make-up nor opens the door to visitors. I was quite shocked at this revelation tbh.

I love make-up - I have bags of it from budget to high-end. But I don't wear it on a daily basis. In fact, I only ever wear make-up on a night out/special event. My skin wouldn't have been the best (acne) in my mid teens to early twenties, yet I have never felt compelled to wear foundation, etc. Likewise, I'm very lazy :o and wouldn't fair well with powdering my nose throughout the day. This year I aspire to make more of an effort and maybe don a nice lipstick, bit of foundation and mascara 2-3 times a week.

So I'm just wondering am I alone on this?! Does everyone wear make-up everyday? Just for an age profile, I'm a 24 yo female and work/study in a university.

Disclaimer: I'm not judging my friend or indeed anyone who wears make-up daily - in fact I'm quite envious of how expertly some people are at applying make-up and looking immaculate.

STeapot

Female, 22, work full time, study part-time (masters).

Love makeup, spend too much money on fancy sh*t and brushes. However, I don't wear it daily, I don't even dry my hair in the mornings! I only wear makeup when I am going out and sometimes I don't even bother! The same with my hair, I never style, let it dry naturally.

I am so lazy when it comes to my appearance!! I like to keep in shape but that's about it. I only get dressed up when I have to because I like getting up at 8 in the mornings and be gone by half 8. I got all dressed up for my Christmas party and everyone kept saying 'Wow, you look amazing, you look so different'. :P Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I don't think the choices are very exhaustive!

I wear makeup nearly every day. I'm 28 and work as an office manager.

I wear makeup to work...not the WORKS, but not bare minimum either. I wear foundation, powder, blush, eyebrow colour, eyeshadow, a bit of brown kohl liner and mascara.

For nights out obviously I wear the works. All of the above, but with more dramatic eyeshadow (spend a lot of time on my eyes), lip gloss, bronzer, contouring, black gel liner and sometimes fake lashes.

For meeting people during the day at weekends/after work drinks, I wear something in between.

If I've no plans on a weekend and am just staying around the house or heading out locally to the shops I won't bother with makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I wear the works every day - but I don't think it looks like it was put on with a trowel or anything! At least I hope it doesn't!! I look AWFUL without makeup; I just think I look way better with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

leahyl wrote: »
    I wear the works every day - but I don't think it looks like it was put on with a trowel or anything! At least I hope it doesn't!! I look AWFUL without makeup; I just think I look way better with it!

Oh yeah, I'm hideous without it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I wear make up pretty much every day. Foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, liquid liner, kohl liner, mascara and lipgloss daily, similar for a night out but with lipstick and more dramatic eye make up.

I'm expected to wear make up in work, so I don't have much choice.

Takes me 5 minutes tops to apply it all, including blending three different shades of eyeshadow, so it's not like it takes up much time, thankfully :)

Oh and I'm 24 and work in sales + recruitment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I don't think the choices are very exhaustive!

I wear makeup nearly every day. I'm 28 and work as an office manager.

I wear makeup to work...not the WORKS, but not bare minimum either. I wear foundation, powder, blush, eyebrow colour, eyeshadow, a bit of brown kohl liner and mascara.

For nights out obviously I wear the works. All of the above, but with more dramatic eyeshadow (spend a lot of time on my eyes), lip gloss, bronzer, contouring, black gel liner and sometimes fake lashes.

For meeting people during the day at weekends/after work drinks, I wear something in between.

If I've no plans on a weekend and am just staying around the house or heading out locally to the shops I won't bother with makeup.

This is exactly me too! Except I'm 30 (aahhh I'm 30, never written it down before, no more 20's!) with 2 kids.

Work (in an office): Foundation, bit of bronzer, mascara, liquid eyeliner and small bit of eye shadow does the job.

Night Out: All out-as in take my time spend time getting my eye shadow right, shading, lipstick etc. Not OTT plastered in make up either

Meeting friends/lunch would be in between and there's days over the weekend where I wouldn't wear any but i'd be fine popping up to the shops without thinking I have to put some on (well I might just put some colour in my brows as they are so light and a bit of tint makes a HUGE difference to me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I only wear 'the works' if I'm going out somewhere, otherwise I'm way too lazy. On a normal day I just fill in my eyebrows and wear a bit of mascara, and the only reason I even do that is because I have blonde eyebrows/lashes. I do like how I look when I properly make an effort with my makeup but can rarely bring myself to do it first thing in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I don't wear make up every day. I will go all out when I go out (rarely) and have loads of different eye shadows, lip colours, brushes, etc. but I really wouldn't be that bothered doing it every day. I also think my skin would suffer. I recently bought a contouring pallet, and used it a couple of times over Christmas. It looked really well, but I still felt it was a bit too much for day time.

If I am going out for lunch or a nice day out, I might put on a bit of BB cream, some eyeliner and mascara, but that would be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I wear foundation, concealer, eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner, blusher and lipstick/gloss daily. I'm 34 and work in sales. To be honest I wouldn't contemplate going to work without make up on. I just think it's not very professional, but maybe that just depends what you work at. I realise there are jobs where make up may not be allowed for hygiene/health & safety reasons etc.

Lord no. Some days I just put on moisturiser (no, not tinted) and that's it. Some days it's just eyeliner, some days it's eyeliner and http://www.maybelline.com/Products/Face-Makeup/Powder/Dream-Matte-Powder.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I wear the works everyday, but most people don't notice that I'm really wearing anything. I wish I had good skin and could go au natural but unfortunately not :(

My daytime make is drastically different to my nighttime,but I always wear foundation mascara eyeliner etc, so I guess that constitutes "the works"

I wear foundation, concealer, eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner, blusher and lipstick/gloss daily. I'm 34 and work in sales. To be honest I wouldn't contemplate going to work without make up on. I just think it's not very professional, but maybe that just depends what you work at. I realise there are jobs where make up may not be allowed for hygiene/health & safety reasons etc.

I think the way some people apply their make up is not very professional. I remember being in a meeting and being distracted by eyebrows, it was very disconcerting. I had to keep telling myself stop looking at her eyebrows, concentrate. BOOM EYEBROWS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I will nearly always wear some make up but generally it is just a bit of concealer to cover up redness caused by psoriasis. I'd love to feel confident to go barefaced everyday but I just would feel self conscious that people are looking at me wondering what's wrong with my face :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For work it's usually BB cream, powder, blusher, some eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick. I carry a felt tip liner in my bag just in case I'm going out after work and I want to feel more glam.

For a night out, it's the works, foundation, powder, blush, bronzer, highlighter, eyeshadow, gel liner, mascara, eyebrows, lipstick. I rarely need to top up during the night, maybe some lipstick and powder. Props to MAC lip primer and my assortment of face primers for doing their job!

If I've a a day off and I'm not going out I won't bother with make up, if I'm heading into town for lunch or the likes I might put on some BB cream and mascara.

I'm 24 and have just a full time retail job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I only wear make up on a night out or if I was going out for dinner with OH. I couldn't be bothered to wear it at work … I've worked in the same place for 10 years so they've seen me at my worst many times and no make up would be the norm in the office. I went through a phase of wearing mascara alright and found my eyelashes started to thin so stopped.

(I'm 31)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm a 22 year old student and part-time waitress.

I wear close to 'the works' everyday when I know I'll be leaving the house. Primer, foundation, concealer, eyebrow kit, blusher, powder, eyeliner, mascara and (unless I'm pressed for time/going to work), lipstick.

For nighttime I go all out with my eyes; a smokey eye with tonnes of eyeliner is my go-to look. Oddly enough I never wear false lashes, it's the only thing I don't bother with, except tan.

I have a huge interest in beauty and I have loads of lovely products so why not use them? I just feel that life is too short too not look my best everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 copea2

Like a couple of other people I'm somewhere in between 'bare minimum' and the 'full works'

I'm 29 and work in an office -spend about 5 mins in the morning doing my makeup. If I was going out though I would spend a good bit more time and do the works

At the weekend if I'm staying about the house or going the shop then I wouldn't bother.

I do have a friend though who was seeing a guy for a few months and he had never seen her without makeup. Sure there are a few others the same

Just curiously, why is it not professional? If your skin is good, and you are neat, tidy, and dress appropriately, why is makeup neccesary for women? I think it's more "unprofessional" to go to work in an office (for example) looking like you would on a mad night out.

I think it's more "unprofessional" to go to work in an office (for example) looking like you would on a mad night out.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I'm 24 and work in a client-facing role. If I am not meeting clients, I don't wear makeup unless my skin is really bad. If my skin is bad/I look tired or I'm meeting clients, it's usually BB Cream (my new best friend), concealer if needed, blusher, nude eye shadow and mascara.

For a night out it's the works - foundation, contouring, big eyes, eyeliner, mascara and powder.

At the weekends I'll wear the same base as workdays but eyes will be a bit more made up and I'll wear lipstick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

There's not much difference between my everyday make up and my going out look. I don't do dramatic eyes or lips, it's always kept pretty natural looking.

I used to put it on every day without fail, but since my fiancé said he prefers me without it, I've only been doing it if I'm going out!

I'm 22.

I don't wear makeup daily, and keep it to a minimum even on nights out. On a day when I've to face a lot of people I might put some mascara and tinted balm on, and for a night out it would be mascara, blush and highlighter, fine liner and lipgloss. I rarely wear foundation because I'm lucky enough to have good skin but sometimes I wear a light base, and sometimes I'll wear a neutral eye shade. I generally aim to look fairly natural, like me only better.

I never wear brightly coloured makeup because I don't like it to be obvious, and I never wear primer or false eyelashes or anything very complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Very rarely wear make up. Nights out, special occasions and the odd time when I'm meeting someone during the day. I didn't wear it when I was working. Couldn't be bothered. When I do wear it I wear very little and I removed it as soon as I get home, day or night. It just doesn't interest me that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

I never go anywhere without my eyebrows filled in, mascara on and at the least a bit of concealer

I dunno I just wouldnt feel right without it and its an instant pick me up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I wear makeup for special occasions and nights out. Never for work or day to day life. I work in a bookies and often go in with my hair soaking wet! I'm very relaxed about my appearance- my face is my face, this is how I look and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I wear the works everyday for work and if i'm doing anything at the weekend.
    If i wasn't wearing makeup i wouldn't put it on to pop to the local shop but I would be totally morto if i bumped into anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm a junior consultant so yes I wear the full works every day - concealer, primer, foundation, powder, blusher, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara and eyebrows.

I do a little bit more when I'm going out or wear darker eyeshadow etc.

I love doing my makeup so I don't mind. I have the whole routine down to 6 minutes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Unless it's just a quick trip to the local shop I won't leave the house without mascara on, my eyes just look weird without it. For everyday office wear it depends on how early I get up and what kind of mood my skin is in. If my skin is good and I wake up late it's just mascara, a bit of lippy, sometimes eyebrows and then out the door. If my skin is bad I'll throw on some concealer, bb cream, setting powder and a bit of blush. If my skin is ok and I have spare time I'll do that suff anyway. I rarely wear eyeshadow for work, takes me ages to do it right so I don't usually bother unless there is something on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I rarely wear makeup to work and if I do, it's very little. I think it's just too much hassle to do this every day (and taking it all off in the evening is even worse), and I have hayfever all summer (teary/itchy eyes) and during the winter I often get teary eyes from the cold, so any eye makeup just doesn't look that great anymore by the time I get to work. I do wear makeup when going out usually, but I don't go over the top.

I have a question. What is this bb cream you all speak of? I heard loads of people talking about it??

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    I have a question. What is this bb cream you all speak of? I heard loads of people talking about it??

It's essentially a tinted moisturiser. Supposed to be an all in one cream, moisturise/SPF/Foundation and sometimes anti-aging and others. Typically light to medium coverage depending on the brand, very rarely full coverage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I wear foundation and mascara every day.. I used to do the whole eye shadow thing.. then I became a Mother and I just don't have the time anymore.

I have quite pink skin, and I hate it.. so I never leave the house without at least my foundation on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I only wear make up when I am leaving the house as I have scars from acne (although no one else seems to notice them, only me!) and I am conscious about them so I wear foundation and setting powder and some clear mascara on my brows, but that is it.

Sometimes I'll wear eye shadow, not often though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I wear make-up most days. I almost always wear it at work. But not a huge amount. I've forgotten to bring make-up to my boyfriends house a few times and gone to work without it, not the end of the world.

Just feel a bit more comfortable with a little bit on! I wear very light foundation/tinted moisturiser and mascara. That's it really. Eyebrow pencil if they haven't been tinted. I have blonde eyebrows and eyelashes and can look very tired if they are not filled in! I also have to be in front of a camera at work sometimes so wear a bit more make-up for that..

On my days off I generally wear no make-up. Unless I'm going out or something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think you probably have a different definition of bare minimum and the works than I do OP! For me it's not really about the amount of products you use but rather the type of look you go for, so day to day would be a more natural look, neutral eyeshadow colours, a more natural lip colour etc, but sometimes this can mean almost as many products as 'the works'.

The bare minimum I'd probably wear is concealor, powder foundation, blush, tightlining my upper waterline, mascara, eyebrow product and lip balm. But more often than not I wear more, depends on how much time I have but usually I'd wear neutral eyeshadow colours, liquid liner, eyelid primer, contour powder, and maybe something on my lips as well but they're usually very dry and uncooperative >.<

Going out just means different eyeshadows, spending more time on my eyes and all the other stuff, falsies an odd time. I'm 25 (26 soon), I don't wear makeup every day and I have no problem with people seeing me without makeup or anything, I just generally enjoy it and feel better for wearing it. Like I can do my makeup very quick if I want to but I generally take my time coz I enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just curiously, why is it not professional? If your skin is good, and you are neat, tidy, and dress appropriately, why is makeup neccesary for women? I think it's more "unprofessional" to go to work in an office (for example) looking like you would on a mad night out.

Well as I said, it probably depends on your job, but personally I wouldn't go to work barefaced. I'd just feel that it looks as though you didn't really make an effort.

I do agree though that 'night out' make up can also look very unprofessional at work.

I remember in the job I had before my current one, it was in fast food. The kitchen was unbearably hot, so I didn't wear make up because it would just slide off of my face, and for food hygiene reasons.

Area manager told me during an inspection that I had to wear make up every day because I was 'too pale' (I was the only white girl in the place). I refused, over and over. It's expected in my current job, but not obligatory. If I choose not to, they don't care. If they tried to tell me I HAVE to, I'd refuse on principle.

I remember in the job I had before my current one, it was in fast food. The kitchen was unbearably hot, so I didn't wear make up because it would just slide off of my face, and for food hygiene reasons.

Area manager told me during an inspection that I had to wear make up every day because I was 'too pale' (I was the only white girl in the place). I refused, over and over. It's expected in my current job, but not obligatory. If I choose not to, they don't care. If they tried to tell me I HAVE to, I'd refuse on principle.

Well as I said, it probably depends on your job, but personally I wouldn't go to work barefaced. I'd just feel that it looks as though you didn't really make an effort.

I agree, perhaps it does have something to do with your business. Most of my recent work has been in academia, and really if you went in guns blazing with noticeable make up you'd get looked at twice. And not in a good way, maybe.

I guess it all depends on your definition of 'not making an effort' too. I doubt many people would look at me and think I hadn't made an effort. But then I'm not the type of woman anyone would expect to see makeup on tbh! I'd look a bit like I was in drag! ;) But if I were to see someone not wearing make up, in pretty much any business I wouldn't even think twice about it. I might not even notice. But women who are made up hugely actually freak me out a little. Silly, maybe. But hey, we're all different right?

See now this kind of stuff irritates me. Are men ever told "you have to grow a beard" or whatever? Doubtful.

See now this kind of stuff irritates me. Are men ever told "you have to grow a beard" or whatever? Doubtful.

If someone ever told me I 'had' to wear makeup, I would tell them to GTFO. Thankfully my boss isn't from the middle ages and is male. I really don't think he would even notice if I did. Or maybe I'm just a sexy beast that doesn't need makeup. :P (I joke)

Like another poster, I too am very very pale with jet black hair. I like my pale skin, the orange tangy look is not for me. I find the modern day obsession with fake tan and sun beds mind boggling! Irish people have such an aversion to pale skin despite the fake the majority of us are pale under our makeup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Interesting thread!

I can count on one hand the number of times Ive had foundation/tinted cream on my face.

Not that I think I couldnt do with it sometimes, but 50% of it is laziness and 50% is I dont like the feel of it. Feels like a mask to me.

Not to toot my own horn (but I will as a lady in her 30s :D), but I have really good skin/no wrinkles (people always amazed by my actual age), and I always wondered if it is because I never wore make up/foundation. Does years of wearing make up age skin? Always wondered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wear it when I actually get up in time to do it. I'm really not a morning person so a lot of the time 15 minutes extra in bed wins out over a full face of make-up. I generally wear it at the weekend though. 29 and a software developer

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Does years of wearing make up age skin? Always wondered.

The biggest causes of wrinkles are lack of moisture and sun damage. A lot of foundations contain SPF so as long as it doesn't cause dryness then it should actually protect against ageing skin.

Not washing make up off can contribute to bad skin. Since it causes blocked pores and spots which can leave scaring.

So as long as it's washed off it shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I don't wear it every day. I'm at home on maternity so I don't need to. I used to wear lots of eyeliner and eyeshadow to work but when I was heavily pregnant, I stopped because I wasn't bothered.

I would like to wear a bit every day, even mascara; but my hair is fair and I think I look weird with just mascara. .

When I'm going out, I put on moisturiser and powder over that, do up my eyes and occasionally wear lipstick. It always comes off n I'm paranoid of getting the ring around the edges of your lips so I just wear gloss. I rarely wear foundation, only if I'm going to a wedding or something and I want my makeup to last the day!

I'm 24 and I work in an office

• Advertisement
Advertisement