Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offroad

• 22-01-2014 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Anyone do any offroading? I'd love to give it a go under a bit of instruction...

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

trials? enduro? motox? jeeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

serious3 wrote: »
    trials? enduro? motox? jeeps?

Well not jeeps, hence I posted in motorbikes!
    I don't really know what form of off road really, just driving on rough ground and getting some experience really.
    I've been driving on road the last while now so just hoping to have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

When I was at the Birmingham NEC bike show I did a little bit of Moto X and I swear it was just amazing....so physical it was unreal but really good fun. Would love to do it over here but it would be pricey for the gear and the bike and transport to get it to and from an event of proper location.

Highly recommend it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

quote="eoinkildare;88597367"]Well not jeeps, hence I posted in motorbikes!
    I don't really know what form of off road really, just driving on rough ground and getting some experience really.
    I've been driving on road the last while now so just hoping to have a go.[/quote]

Trials will teach you how to control the bike at low speed and it's relatively cheap to get going. But unless you've a car and trailer you'll struggle to get anywhere off road. You can even do trials on enduro bikes once you take off the knobilies (sp?).

Other advantage of trials is due to the lower speed the risk of serious injuries are lower than motocross or enduro. No idea if they do instructions though, email a local club to see

http://www.trialsireland.com/clubs.htm

They do have a training trial in March and a women's academy on the home page, discrimination claim if they won't let men in ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Very few (if any) public forests/trails etc you can just go out in a bike with, you can try it but will probably get ran quickly. Del explained trials very well above, I'd certainly recommend trials also, however if you really want abit of speed etc and are willing to accept the risks etc (the odd broken bone!), then motocross is quite accessible also, get yourself likes a 125 2stroke, and hit tracks like this one, https://www.facebook.com/gormanston.motocross?fref=ts or race with this group: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milverton-Off-Road-Motorcycle-Club/395063687231775

• Advertisement

I'll look up trials. I think that could be what I'm after. It's not really racing that I am interested in, just learning how to control the bike offroad and get myself across rough ground when I come across it.
    Would love to buy a ktm or bmw gs for touring in years to come and would like to get experience of different terrains first.

So a 125cc would be the place to start then? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'll look up trials. I think that could be what I'm after. It's not really racing that I am interested in, just learning how to control the bike offroad and get myself across rough ground when I come across it.
    Would love to buy a ktm or bmw gs for touring in years to come and would like to get experience of different terrains first.

So a 125cc would be the place to start then? Any recommendations?

For motocross a 125 is OK for starting, the bigger bikes have lots of power, in trials a 200 or bigger is better, trials uses low down torque more than top power and aren't as hard to ride as motocrossers for novices. Its been a long time since I been on a trials bike, damn shift work, but GasGas or Beta make good bikes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lads on GS's meet up and do off roading, down green lanes and mountain/forest tracks, across rivers. Good crack.
    I'll be selling my 1200gs soon with a brand new set of TKC80's on it ;)

Definitely worth investing in good boots and having the tyres depends on the surface. You can get away with road tyres on some tracks, but if it's wet you'll be glad you have your knobblies.

There is tracks you can drive on in the mountains, I normally just drive around and when I see one just turn off and head up. Most (not all) have gates across them, especially in the dublin/wicklow mountains, but plenty don't.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Lads on GS's meet up and do off roading, down green lanes and mountain/forest tracks, across rivers. Good crack.
    I'll be selling my 1200gs soon with a brand new set of TKC80's on it ;)

Definitely worth investing in good boots and having the tyres depends on the surface. You can get away with road tyres on some tracks, but if it's wet you'll be glad you have your knobblies.

There is tracks you can drive on in the mountains, I normally just drive around and when I see one just turn off and head up. Most (not all) have gates across them, especially in the dublin/wicklow mountains, but plenty don't.

That sounds like good oul craic!

Advertisement