Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie online poker player

Options
  • 22-01-2014 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

alright, im a half decent poker player when playing with the lads every so often or playing in the pub every once in a while

im curious as to what site is noob user friendly and the best one to start off with? just wanna play for a tenner, it'll keep me off the beer for the weekend i guess

any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

IanLAD wrote: »
    alright, im a half decent poker player when playing with the lads every so often or playing in the pub every once in a while

im curious as to what site is noob user friendly and the best one to start off with? just wanna play for a tenner, it'll keep me off the beer for the weekend i guess

any suggestions?
    Try pokerstars.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Before you start, do yourself a HUGE favour. If you only want to spend a tenner. Put a limit on how much you can deposit in your account before you even deposit, say twenty quid or whatever for a week. Even though you fancy a game to keep you entertained there is so many tournaments that if you get knocked out the first you can jump right in to another. So before you know it you caould have a few hundred clicked away. And it is only a click. If you lose your first two games you prob arent in the right mental space to be playing so why lose more.

You wont know how stupid you can be until you are in that position. Best off not put yourself there first day and limit. I know you can change these easily but it will at least give you a day or so to rethink. this is vital to prevent stupidity and greed having their way.

Pokerstars is probably the best for tournaments with small buy ins and large prizepools.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭IanLAD

Deco99 wrote: »
    Before you start, do yourself a HUGE favour. If you only want to spend a tenner. Put a limit on how much you can deposit in your account before you even deposit, say twenty quid or whatever for a week. Even though you fancy a game to keep you entertained there is so many tournaments that if you get knocked out the first you can jump right in to another. So before you know it you caould have a few hundred clicked away. And it is only a click. If you lose your first two games you prob arent in the right mental space to be playing so why lose more.

You wont know how stupid you can be until you are in that position. Best off not put yourself there first day and limit. I know you can change these easily but it will at least give you a day or so to rethink. this is vital to prevent stupidity and greed having their way.

Pokerstars is probably the best for tournaments with small buy ins and large prizepools.
    yeah i get ya, thanks for reminding me, same as online betting, too easy to throw away money without realising, its not the same as physically handing money over the counter
    and yeah, ya definitely have to be in a certain frame of mind to be playing good poker, sound for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

I would try 888 instead of Pokerstars tbh. I started playing on Pokerstars and did no good, you have thousands of players playing the tournaments and it is hard to keep the concentration when starting out. I switched to 888, same kind of tournaments with only a few hundred players in them.

Yes you win less on 888 but it is easier to win and you learn more. So for that reason 888 is the most noob friendly site out there imo. And you can switch to Pokerstars when you learn a bit more and feel more comfortable and in control, which is what I did. I play on Pokerstars now and only play the bigger tournaments on 888.

The iPoker network has loads of sites on it, Paddy Power, Boyles, William Hill, Winner etc. etc. but isn't as noob friendly. I only play on iPoker if there is a satellite to a live game I want to play.

In short, Pokerstars has small buy-ins, big prizes, more players and better players.
    888 has small buy-ins, decent prizes, less players and more noob players.
    iPoker doesn't have much.

So 888 wins for me. So good luck.

I also would suggest putting a limit on what you can deposit as said above. Far too easy to say to yourself "I was unlucky there, just €20 more" and then all of a sudden you're broke.

But poker can be great craic and it's a nice feeling when you win so have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

The best sites to play for new player are Ipoker network related, don't even try to go on Pokerstars, they will eat you alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

The best sites to play for new player are Ipoker network related, don't even try to go on Pokerstars, they will eat you alive.

No they're not. Lots of players who are staked and play for a living play on iPoker. A new player would get nowhere. The only reason to play iPoker would be for their big monthly game.

888 is definitely the best with a very small amount of pro players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Guys on the topic of New Online Poker Players I was wondering if anyone had any tips one way or the other.

As a newbie, and purely recreational player, I've only played the 5eu-10eu Sit and Go Tables on PP and well have found them nice and handy really. I'm certainly no Shark and I'm sure anyone who does their homework and reads on Poker Forums would kill me at poker. Having said that I've noticed that by just doing the fundamentals of Poker I tend to finish in the Top 2, ie only Call on good hands and bet heavy on good hands. I notice that you quite often get excitable players who like to go all in on average hands, or seeing every bet only to fold later.

Is this the norm even on 50-100eu tables? Can you take advantage no matter whats on stake? At first I thought surely those guys are sharks and I'll get killed but maybe they can be just as clumsy, just richer clumsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Guys on the topic of New Online Poker Players I was wondering if anyone had any tips one way or the other.

As a newbie, and purely recreational player, I've only played the 5eu-10eu Sit and Go Tables on PP and well have found them nice and handy really. I'm certainly no Shark and I'm sure anyone who does their homework and reads on Poker Forums would kill me at poker. Having said that I've noticed that by just doing the fundamentals of Poker I tend to finish in the Top 2, ie only Call on good hands and bet heavy on good hands. I notice that you quite often get excitable players who like to go all in on average hands, or seeing every bet only to fold later.

Is this the norm even on 50-100eu tables? Can you take advantage no matter whats on stake? At first I thought surely those guys are sharks and I'll get killed but maybe they can be just as clumsy, just richer clumsy!

Nope, you'll get eaten alive at that level playing fundamental poker. The better players will categorise you as a rock and bleed you dry over time. You wont go broke playing fundamental poker at 5-10 level but you will at 50-100 or even 25-50.

As regards the OP. It depends on what your favourite game is. Lots of soft games on Pokerstars at the sng $10 level, not easy but it is possible to actually make quite a bit playing them on mass. If you want to play look for sites offering the best Bonus', always try to play through the bonus, its free money after all and something that should definitely be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Nope, you'll get eaten alive at that level playing fundamental poker. The better players will categorise you as a rock and bleed you dry over time. You wont go broke playing fundamental poker at 5-10 level but you will at 50-100 or even 25-50.

As regards the OP. It depends on what your favourite game is. Lots of soft games on Pokerstars at the sng $10 level, not easy but it is possible to actually make quite a bit playing them on mass. If you want to play look for sites offering the best Bonus', always try to play through the bonus, its free money after all and something that should definitely be done.

Cheers, I figured as such but as evident I was a little tempted. Sooner find out the truth here before I hand over 50-100!

Cheers, I figured as such but as evident I was a little tempted. Sooner find out the truth here before I hand over 50-100!

Its possible to make a nice wage weekly multi tabling 5-10 sn'g's just playing fundamental poker on soft sites. Pokerstars has so many players that your bound to find a bunch of soft tables. Just ignore the games with supernova's and you can mine a living.

Way back in the day On line poker was like a cash machine, back in the days of Party Poker oh how i miss those days :'(

• Advertisement

"Way back in the day On line poker was like a cash machine, back in the days of Party Poker oh how i miss those days :'( "

Have taken a recent break from the online, bout a 2 month hiatus but was never full time at it. my usual problem was the big one, BANKROLL, as a % of total turnover my losses would be very little. last year i made about 5% profit. Year before loss of 18% of total lodgement. been playing about 4 years but same problems keep tearing at my profit margins.

Cash Games - I cant go into a cash game and come away with a small profit or loss, i always either win 4 times buy in or lose it all, usually, later, dont talk to me bout these no fast rush games.

Turbo - Its like the fat chick in a nightclub, always end up in one though i always feel guilty.

My only real success is tournaments with plenty of chips and time although not too much of either as I tend to be conservative so i'm not great around the bubble, always get spotted when i'm robbing or a bit light.

My question is this, how do you play solid sit n gos strategey and not get bored after a bit? Oh and based on my percieved weakness/strengths, which site should i go with/avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

If you're playing micro levels (cash or sng) then steer clear of ipoker imo, even if you can get 58-60% rb there, the micros are littered with bots that are only improving. (they play sng, cash and MTT across all games except plo, because they still stuck at that game)

I don't mean to dishearten you but...

My advice is play a few $1 MTTs on Stars and enjoy it as a hobby, forget about making loads of money though, it's an unrealistic expectation for the majority of new online players these days, the games are so much tougher than the golden days of online poker.

I could be wrong about you of course, but this is the reality for most players who start playing online the way the games are these days.

You'll find a large number of weaker players in those large MTT fields, it's where all the value is these days.

Best of luck!

i get little enjoyment out of the $1 MTTS, it really is a case of ABC poker, play tight aggressive the whole way and then its down to your cards holding up or being coolered. Very little gear changing or disguising your play as so many in it, until the last table or two when the dynamic can change. I find pokerstars around the $20 buy in is when the level of play "improves" or that people are wary of getting knocked out so you can squeeze now and then but thats a bit too much for me on a regular basis at least. $1 buy in, you get called KK or QQ with A-rag all in and suckered on river. last game i played had AA and was all in for a healthy stack to a re raise, got 5 callers. Not a bad beat moan, just saying in even a $10 buy in you would get KJ, 99, 87s shoving for more than 30bbs with a raise, re-raise, all-in before them.

My question is this, how do you play solid sit n gos strategey and not get bored after a bit? Oh and based on my percieved weakness/strengths, which site should i go with/avoid.

I could go on for hours, days, weeks and months about this but I'll try to keep it short. Firstly you will get bored, thats why you multitable s&g's.

Secondly its a job, I'm here to make money not to play a game when I play.

Thirdly buy a decent mining system that keeps information on players. Its worth is immeasurable when multi tabling.

On your perceived strengths and weakness' far too little information to be accurate but if I was you I would not play cash games, would not play turbo games and would avoid all S&g's that didnt give you a large starting stack.

I would play $10 MTT's and set yourself a schedule. The only way to know if your better than the average player is to put in $500 and play a 5 game a night $10 buy in for a couple of months and see what you can Return. If you cash 20% of the time you'll make money over time. Bubble play needs work its where you'll win or lose these big MTT's.

As with anything though poker will be as good to you as you are to it. You need discipline, an ability to take a bad beat and not make the wrong decision and a really solid work ethic. If you can master these three you can still make alot of money on line playing poker. The games are harder now a days true but there are still alot of negatie EV players out there to be exploited.

Just wondering reservoir dub, you presumably use websites that track players activity on sites. If I pmd my username would you mind looking me up and giving a look if there is any glaring weaknesses strengths. Seems that info is freely available its not like im passing on bank details. Goin to try out your advice above a may start a log thread on here seems this section is usually quiet.

Just wondering reservoir dub, you presumably use websites that track players activity on sites. If I pmd my username would you mind looking me up and giving a look if there is any glaring weaknesses strengths. Seems that info is freely available its not like im passing on bank details. Goin to try out your advice above a may start a log thread on here seems this section is usually quiet.

Send me your username on pm and I'll have a look for you will be later tonight before I can get back to you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i havent played in a long time but had a dabble on SKY POKER a few years back and found it entertaining , simple layout and nice sized MTTS and plenty of £5/10 stts with a nice blend of player types.
    maybe its changed now but i liked it , also LADBROKES was quite good too but more players.

for small stakes id rather stay away from the american sites.

good luck anyways , its great fun but beware!!!!!!
    it takes all your fecking time and life :)

Advertisement