Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 8 Boots to Black Screen

Options
  • 22-01-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had to deal with the known Win 8 Boots to Black Screen issue?

Daughters lappy is doing just that & I'm getting many many hits on Google regarding how to sort it but never actually had to deal with it before now. She's dropping the lappy to me at some stage today and I'm not quite sure which of the proposed fixes to try.

Apparently it starts and the Win logo shows on screen but then it just advances to a black screen & she can do no more with it no matter how many restarts she tries.

Microsoft have an article on it HERE & it looks like it is very common? Anyone had to deal with this and managed to start the machine and fix the issue?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Booting to a black screen is a very vague symptom to be honest, could be anything from a corrupt registry, malware, failed service, drivers, hardware issue etc. First thing you need to see is it it boots normally into Safe Mode with Networking (as in, showing the Desktop), if it does - great, it's most likely down to software.

Next you should inspect with CCleaner to see what processes / services are set to be running on boot and ask your daughter if she installed any new software recently etc. Start by selecting all and pressing Disable in the Startup tab and reboot the PC as normal - if it's the same, let us know.

CCleaner%20startup.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

No, I don't think it is related to anything you've mentioned? From what I can gather, she installed nothing and this happened after a normal shutdown. The Google search consensus seems to be that this is related in some way to the power\Fast Startup settings in Win 8. Did you read the MS article I linked to in OP?

I suppose I will have a better idea when I get my hands on the machine but I just threw it out there in the hope that other users here might have encountered this known issue and could give a little advice :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

No, I don't think it is related to anything you've mentioned? From what I can gather, she installed nothing and this happened after a normal shutdown. The Google search consensus seems to be that this is related in some way to the power\Fast Startup settings in Win 8. Did you read the MS article I linked to in OP?

I suppose I will have a better idea when I get my hands on the machine but I just threw it out there in the hope that other users here might have encountered this known issue and could give a little advice :)
    That can happen after a normal shutdown randomly - all depends on what occured before a normal shutdown (anything may or may not have been installed / changed) so going on past experiences. Only going on the basis that you said it has a black screen on boot up. As you said, once you have the machine on hand you can make a better diagnosis - could be a million things ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've had this with a bad install, a re-install fixed it.

First thing I'd try is to roll back the gfx driver. Maybe boot to VGA safe mode.

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Advertisement