Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password Managers

Options
  • 22-01-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

Passwords are getting out of hand (and there have been a few global hacks recently so its starting to get a bit more serious) and with the many devices and ways I am accessing the internet and my accounts I feel its time to take the plunge and get my passwords in order and get some proper security set up

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on what they use and recommend in this area

What I would like is

• Ability to save passwords securely automatically
    • Ability to generate a random password automatically (I don’t want to use the same or similar passwords across loads of accounts)
    • Ability to be used across various platforms (notably PC and Android)
    • Ability to use Chrome browser primarily on devices (some systems seem to have their own browser built in)
    • Not a fly by night app that may disappear in a few years
    • Maybe have the ability to create disposable emails addresses to sign up for stuff (see MaskMe as an example)
    • Free if possible but I would be willing to pay a small annual fee

I have used MaskMe and find it good on the PC but I have not tried it on Android as it seems expensive. I used RoboForm years ago but that was back in 2007 and I am not sure how good it is now.
    I use Chrome browser and it stores all my passwords and its great that I can browse on the PC and then my Android devices automatically know the details so saves me having to continually log in to stuff. (I don’t store bank accounts or Credit card details etc in Chrome for obvious reasons)
    Found a comparison here but would like to know what have people on Boards.ie tried
    http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/10/06/10-of-the-best-multi-platform-password-managers-for-ios-android-and-the-desktop/2/#!sSPuO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I've been using Last Pass for years and it does the job just fine. I tried the Android version which I found underwhelming because you have to use its own browser which I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I use keepass / keepassx synchronised with Dropbox.

There are applications available for all major operation systems, it has been around for a while and it does everything I need.

There are plugins to automatically fill out web forms but I haven't tried those myself. I manually copy and paste from the keepass application myself (which clears the clipboard after a configurable amount of time).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

One word for you... LastPass

It is by far the most highly rated password manager out there. It does everything you specified with the exception of my comments below. The PC plugin for Chrome is free but you have to pay a small yearly fee to be able to use the Android / iOS versions. It’s well worth it though.

All mobile password managers are a clunky with regard to passwords for other apps. You have to use a bit of multi-tasking / swapping between apps to get it to work. Also unfortunately Chrome doesn’t support plugins for mobile yet so it’s also different from a desktop. There are some sorts of workarounds / shortcuts you can do with LastPass. Have a search on Google and if you want I can go into more detail.

Regarding the disposable emails, it doesn’t do this as far as I am aware. FYI Gmail has a nice little feature that helps in respect to this. Basically anything you add after a + is disregarded in the delivery of the email. i.e. let’s say my email is 12345@gmail.com, I can use 12345+boards@gmail.com to register with boards. Any email they send to the email address they have (12345+boards@gmail.com) will still be delivered to me but I know where it originated from. If you do this for all accounts you sign up for it lets you see if any website is passing off your data or sending you spam (you have proof and can report them) and you can create a rule to block emails to this address.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

morgana wrote: »
    I've been using Last Pass for years and it does the job just fine. I tried the Android version which I found underwhelming because you have to use its own browser which I didn't like.

Like I said above, all mobile password managers are a bit away from being fully intergrated. LastPass does have a built in browser but I dont use it either. With Android at least using the multi-tasking button it is easy enough to copy the password over (LastPass app gives you a one click copy password button).

I´m sure once mobile Chrome supports plugins LastPass will be amoung the first to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Last pass is what I've been using too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-h5gWpvAc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Another vote for Lastpass. Would be lost without it.
    I use the copy notifications for apps (though there are a few that won't allow you to paste into the password field, which is awkward.) For websites I use Dolphin browser, which supports plugins, including a Lastpass one.
    (There's also the Lastpass keyboard, but I've never really liked that.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Another vote for LastPass.

But for security you want LastPass to generate the passwords for you.
    There's no point having LastPass if your password is weak.

You need a different strong random password for each and every website you login to. At least 16 characters if possible.

One thing I hate, is when it generates the password, but doesn't detect that I submitted the web page it sometimes loses the password and I have to reset it on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

And don't forget the advice of xckd when it comes to choosing 'one password to rule them all' to access lastpass

password_strength.png

https://xkcd.com/936/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Last pass has an add-on for the Dolphin browser on Android, not free, but worth the $10 I spend on it each year. Makes Dolphin a better browser than Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Another vote for LastPass here. One cool feature is that it can be 2 factored secured using a Yubikey. I use it on Android so I got the Yubikey that works with NFC. When I need to use LastPass I just move the phone over the Yubikey fob on my keys and it gets unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use Google Authenticator for the two factor, but Yubikey sounds cool. (Pity my phone is too old to have NFC)

Advertisement