Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site in Lucan

Options
  • 22-01-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Looking for people's thought's on this site in Lucan.

http://www.daft.ie/1628957

Its actually two sites with two different owners, Site A has pedestrian access only, site B has the road frontage required for vehicular access.

Any estimates on the cost of building a 2,500 sq. ft. house on this site. Site is on a slope, have a feeling a lot of money would be spend on ground works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I Dont know about build price but I think site is over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That site will eventually see apartments IMO. It's in a great location assuming no flood risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find it odd the mention of "Lock Road".

Also, I'd ensure that the cottage in photo 4 & 5 can be knocked...

Would not get planning I Dont think for apts. Its out of character for the area and over development

Would not get planning I Dont think for apts. Its out of character for the area and over development
    Also, the other apartments would give out. The ones directly north of the site, that are located above the shops.

• Advertisement

I thought it was the site at the weir. Had a look planning might not be an issue after all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its just off main street on the R120 when you're heading up towards Superquinn, on a bad corner. Good luck getting in or out of it- it'll be a nightmare. Its called Lock road- because its heading up towards the 12th lock (which is a goodly distance away)- but old Lucaners always called it the Lock road (most people wouldn't have a clue where you were talking about if you called it the Lock road these days. Same way- most recent Lucaners would presume the Penny Hill- was that pub up beside Lidl- not knowing it was the old name for the Tinker's Penny Hill (and as for Fagan's Forge etc- more blank faces etc).

It used be a flood risk- not really anymore since the alleviation works (though the whole area is black listed, you won't get flood insurance cover).

Traffic- and your road frontage being the R120- are the two issues here.

Its behind the old water works (behind Macari's Takeaway).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Diseased toe

The fact there is an existing cottage albeit derelict should help with securing planning ( or is that an old wives tale)

The fact there is an existing cottage albeit derelict should help with securing planning ( or is that an old wives tale)

Are you buying or selling !!!

Difficult to tell to be honest- you could have people lodging objections- though there is no good reason why it shouldn't be redeveloped. I take it- it backs right onto the water treatment site? Might have a walk over tomorrow evening to check it out.

200k for the site- is a bit of an ask- I'd be very surprised if it goes for anything like that- mind you its up for sale for donkeys years- most recently 2011.

• Advertisement

thinking about buying :) in this part of Lucan, I like the village but its hard to find something which ticks all the boxes, the chance to design & build your own place is very tempting

I'm guessing the gate in picture one is this one? If so, you'll need to either knock the wall down to maybe 4 foot high either side, or something else, as existing that narrow gate will not be the safest. best checking who owns that wall. If it will be you, grand, you can then alter it, but if for some reason it's not, or only very limited each side, it may work out difficult getting in or out.

Also, looking at it on the OSI.ie map, Am I to assume that it includes only part of that house?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If its the site beside Roma there have been many many attempts to get something on it. Its a poor location beside a very busy junction. From an engineering point of view SDCoCo wont let you near it. If you were to buy the site it should be subject to planning permission. I dont see you getting planning permission

godtabh wrote: »
    If its the site beside Roma there have been many many attempts to get something on it. Its a poor location beside a very busy junction. From an engineering point of view SDCoCo wont let you near it. If you were to buy the site it should be subject to planning permission. I dont see you getting planning permission
    I couldn't find any reference to the site when searching for applications since 2000 on the SDCC site (which is good in fairness). I used "lock", "lock road", "r120" and "adamstown road" as search criteria. What other criteria might bring up some of these planning applications? (I'd be surprised if nobody has applied for planning for something on the site in the last 14 years!)

AFAIK its been in the possession of one man for the last 26 yrs, don't think he has attempted to build anything on it. One of the major issues was the strip of land at the front which is owned by another party. This is needed for car access etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My understanding is that the site was due to change hands a few times during the boom but as part of the due diligence it never went ahead as planning permission was too much of a risk.

I can find two applications

Planning Ref: SD04A/0130
    Enter your email address and submit to be notified of any changes with this application.
    Email again: Date Received: 13/05/2004 Last Action: 04/01/2005 , Additional Information Application Type: Permission Submission Type: Additional Information Closing Date for Submissions: ClosedApplicant: Tom Mulligan , Location: The site is located at Junction of, Adamstown Road & Lucan Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin Proposed Development: Conversion of existing two storey building to two apartments which will include a first floor extension to rear, the infill development of area between existing building and Units 1 & 2 Richview (Village Centre) to consist of a two storey building containing a retail unit at ground level and an apartment at first floor and is similar to previous granted permission Reg. No. S96A/0545 now elapsed. The existing building is a proposed Protected Structure (No. 80) in the record of Protected Structures, as outlined in South Dublin County Council Draft Development Plan 2004 - 2010. Decision Due: 31/01/2005

This was granted which I am surprised about. Dont think it would be granted now.

Planning Ref: SD04A/0349 Invalid due to site notice.

This is not the site but the building on the corner, site is located behind this.

This is not the site but the building on the corner, site is located behind this.

The red/blue line indicates it includes the land at the rear as well

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

godtabh wrote: »
    The red/blue line indicates it includes the land at the rear as well

As far as I know the old School Masters house on the corner and the nearest adjoining plot/cottage belong to the same person.

The actual road frontage for this property is quite ridiculous (see picture I took last week). Aside from any other concern- I do not see how anyone could get in and out of the property- Locke road is extremely busy, especially in the morning and evening- getting in or out, would be next to impossible. Its also less than 20 yards from the traffic light- so along with oncoming traffic- more often than not, you also have sitting traffic in the direction of the village (as I was, when I took the photo).

• Advertisement

Eventually Lucan will be bypassed on its north south axis, probably to the west as a plan exists for that route already. Maybe then the village can breath again, with more traffic calming and perhaps even partial pedestrianisation.

This is the site map for the place. L shaped site.

I suppose what a potential buyer would need to know- is whether the access is only on Locke Road (its called Adamstown Road on your map) or whether there is an alternate access point. Also- what is the asking price.

Link to the brochure for the site here

Pedestrian access only

Advertisement