Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Broadband Router Options

Options
  • 22-01-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm curious why none of the Irish operators offer real 3G/4G routers as opposed to the mobile hotspots? I mean something similar to the DSL routers but with a sim inside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

brasher wrote: »
    I'm curious why none of the Irish operators offer real 3G/4G routers as opposed to the mobile hotspots? I mean something similar to the DSL routers but with a sim inside.
    Hi Brasher,
         Did you find out anything about this because I'm looking for a 4G router that will work with a vodafone sim or dongle.

Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

brianeoc wrote: »
    Hi Brasher,
         Did you find out anything about this because I'm looking for a 4G router that will work with a vodafone sim or dongle.

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

I bought the TP-LINK MR-3420 and used it with the Meteor E3272 dongle. It worked first time, no set up needed.
    The only question I have is, can I change the IP address of the E3272? It defaults to 192.168.1.1. However I want the TP-LINK to be 192.168.1.1. Simply because I don't want to have to go round changing the IP settings of some static devices I have round the place. 

I'm getting 25/15 in Merrion Square, Dublin if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Brasher,

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

I bought the TP-LINK MR-3420 and used it with the Meteor E3272 dongle. It worked first time, no set up needed.
    The only question I have is, can I change the IP address of the E3272? It defaults to 192.168.1.1. However I want the TP-LINK to be 192.168.1.1. Simply because I don't want to have to go round changing the IP settings of some static devices I have round the place. 

Hi brasher

I would'nt be able to advise on the TP-LINk but I can advise you need to set the IP to static. It's best checking the maual to see how you perform this.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Brasher,

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

Hi Brasher,
        In your user manual for TP-LINK MR-3420 router, See the 4.7.2 section. You may be able to assign a static IP to the dongle from here. I'm not sure to be honest as I'd never used the device myself.

Thanks for the info.

Regards
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4 divo_ie

Hi Brasher,

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

Hi Brasher,
             I also have a Meteor E3272 dongle but I plugged it into a TP-Link MR-3020 but unfortunately it did not work automatically. I have been trying without success to manually configure it. I was wondering could you log into your TP Link router and check the following settings, the [font=Calibri, Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]APN, Dial Number, Username and Password? It would really help me out. I think you can find them under Network->3G/4G-> Advanced settings. Also as it worked automatically for you I presume the connection settings in the same menu is set to Auto and not PAP or CHAP?[/font]

[font=Calibri, Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Calibri, Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Divo[/font]

• Advertisement

divo_ie wrote: »
    Hi Brasher,

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

Hi Brasher,
             I also have a Meteor E3272 dongle but I plugged it into a TP-Link MR-3020 but unfortunately it did not work automatically. I have been trying without success to manually configure it. I was wondering could you log into your TP Link router and check the following settings, the [font=Calibri, Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]APN, Dial Number, Username and Password? It would really help me out. I think you can find them under Network->3G/4G-> Advanced settings. Also as it worked automatically for you I presume the connection settings in the same menu is set to Auto and not PAP or CHAP?[/font]

[font=Calibri, Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Calibri, Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Divo[/font]
    Hi Divo, I don't have access to the router at the moment but when I can I'll check the settings you were looking for. 
    Did you plug the dongle into a pc and make sure it's working ok? I hooked it up to my computer and disabled the pin on the SIM then plugged it into the TP-Link.

Did you get the 3G/4G router or the 3.75G one?

B

Just to let ye know that I recently got a NetComm wireless 4G100w router working with vodafone's 4G network. 

Worked a dream once i got the correct APN settings.

http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/4g/4g100w

I probably would have gone for Vodafone but they never had the 4G dongle's in stock when I was buying. How much was that router?

I probably would have gone for Vodafone but they never had the 4G dongle's in stock when I was buying. How much was that router?
    I didn't buy it so I don't know. I got the loan of it for a few weeks from Vodafone. No need for a dongle with it as you just plug a 4G sim card into it and it works fine. Not cheap judging by a quick google. 

Btw, It's still totally unsupported by Vodafone at the moment but it's being working fine for the last four days since I installed it.

http://www.4gon.co.uk/netcomm-wireless-4g-lte-wifi-router-4g100w-p-5596.html    -  £379

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

three are selling the netgear aircard 762S on prepay for €99.  it provides an ethernet interface via the USB port, so if your router is a ROOTer then it should pick up the WAN automatically. 

• Advertisement

Hi Brasher,
             Cheers for that but I got it sorted. I downloaded the latest firmware for the TP-Link MR-3020 from their website and upgraded my router. Next I changed the settings on the E3272 to connect automatically to the internet while it was plugged into my laptop. Finally I then plugged it into the MR3020 and powered it up and it worked perfectly. The signal around the house is pretty good so I'm happy enough with it so far.

Thanks,

divo_ie

Hi Brasher,
             Cheers for that but I got it sorted. I downloaded the latest firmware for the TP-Link MR-3020 from their website and upgraded my router. Next I changed the settings on the E3272 to connect automatically to the internet while it was plugged into my laptop. Finally I then plugged it into the MR3020 and powered it up and it worked perfectly. The signal around the house is pretty good so I'm happy enough with it so far.

Thanks,

divo_ie
    What speeds are you getting? And roughly what area do you live in? I said it above but we are getting 25/15 in Merrion Square.

Hi Brasher,
              Located in county Galway and not getting anything like the speeds you are. Getting on average about 5/3. Which may sound crap to you but it's better than any 3G provider or Eircom can give me due to my distance from the exchange.

Hi Brasher,
              Located in county Galway and not getting anything like the speeds you are. Getting on average about 5/3. Which may sound crap to you but it's better than any 3G provider or Eircom can give me due to my distance from the exchange.
    That's not great, but better than nothing. Roughly how far are you from the nearest mast? According to siteviewer we are about 500m away.

Hi Brasher,
    That's not great, but better than nothing. Roughly how far are you from the nearest mast? According to siteviewer we are about 500m away.
    Hi Brasher,
             That site is very handy I hadn't used it before. The nearest LTE mast looks to be about 1800 to 2000 meters away. There is one mast about 1 km away but unfortunately it's not showing as LTE enabled. It's more into the sticks than I am so I suspect they won't be upgrading it any time soon. Just a hunch obviously I have no idea if they will or not I wonder if there's anyway I can find that out.... I might do a bit of digging and see if I can find that out.

divo_ie

Advertisement