Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

automotive electrician - Dublin/ Wicklow?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Or somebody handy with camper / bus electrics... Our camper had its electrics butchered by previous owners. We also found the broken leisure battery tucked in by drivers seat was in fact a functional truck battery. We've now bought a battery/ solar set up (about to be installed) and had a go fixing the electrics- and had some success with the door but still missing radio, sockets, lights, diesel heater! Hoping an automotive electrician (if this is what we need) isn't extortionate but could do with some help. Any suggestions/ recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Or somebody handy with camper / bus electrics... Our camper had its electrics butchered by previous owners. We also found the broken leisure battery tucked in by drivers seat was in fact a functional truck battery. We've now bought a battery/ solar set up (about to be installed) and had a go fixing the electrics- and had some success with the door but still missing radio, sockets, lights, diesel heater! Hoping an automotive electrician (if this is what we need) isn't extortionate but could do with some help. Any suggestions/ recommendations?

In the real world a truck battery will last as long as anything fancy if your charging straight from the alternator. Can't recommend anyone in your part of the country but definitely download and print the schematics for control panel, diesel heater etc. before you bring it to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Really any good mechanic should be able to sort it , I've never failed to source and repair any electrical issues in the motorhomes in work , and I'm not an auto sparks! It helps being trained on the heaters and fridges etc though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

We had to disconnect the truck battery as it was draining the van battery- clearly something wrong there! Might be a good idea to have it hooked up the right way then.

The diesel heater is original bus fitted so not sure how we would find out details before we realised it was another electric mess up I thought of approaching a bus garage and approaching an old timer. We have no other gadgets really, just the stereo, fridge yet to come!

We had to disconnect the truck battery as it was draining the van battery- clearly something wrong there! Might be a good idea to have it hooked up the right way then.

The diesel heater is original bus fitted so not sure how we would find out details before we realised it was another electric mess up I thought of approaching a bus garage and approaching an old timer. We have no other gadgets really, just the stereo, fridge yet to come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Theres a limited number of manufacturers eberspacher, webasto, mikuni unless its an oddball yoke. The schematic for most eberspacher and webasto sould be available online or the manufacturer will send them to you.

I've seen convincing arguments that truck batteries are better than traction batteries in little used systems in terms of return of investment. They don't last as long but they're way cheaper.
    If the truck battery is in better knick than the engine battery and will fit where your engine battery lives I'd swap that as a better starter battery seeing as you've already got marine batteries.

I could could have a look, I've plenty of procrastination to be doing :).
    Not promising anything, depending on what you have ready to go it could be in a strictly advisory capacity.

PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Caravans, Campers & Mobile Homes - RepairingAddress:Wexford Ph/Fax: WexfordArea:Other Wexford Locations, WexfordPhone:(053)9383877

I've seen convincing arguments that truck batteries are better than traction batteries in little used systems in terms of return of investment. They don't last as long but they're way cheaper.
    If the truck battery is in better knick than the engine battery and will fit where your engine battery lives I'd swap that as a better starter battery seeing as you've already got marine batteries.

I could could have a look, I've plenty of procrastination to be doing :).
    Not promising anything, depending on what you have ready to go it could be in a strictly advisory capacity.

PM me if you're interested.

The camper is used lots and lots atm. Unfortunately truck battery won't fit in the engine. :rolleyes: Definitely interested, just got online on netbook, will PM you now. :D

bido wrote: »
    Caravans, Campers & Mobile Homes - RepairingAddress:Wexford Ph/Fax: WexfordArea:Other Wexford Locations, WexfordPhone:(053)9383877

Thank you, might be heading to Wexford soon anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I'm in north Tipp if you're still in bother , just about cleared my backlog since before Christmas!

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I'm in north Tipp if you're still in bother , just about cleared my backlog since before Christmas!
    Thank you. Hopefully we can largely sort with some rl help from a previous poster!

Advertisement