Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm going off in Ashtown train station every morning at 5am

Options
  • 22-01-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I moved into some apartments close to Ashtown train station in September. I have noticed that every morning at some early hour, a relatively loud alarm goes off for about 30 seconds at the train station.

The last two mornings, it went off at 5.05am and this morning I caught the end of it on my phone

video

****e quality is due to me being asleep, but when you hear the alarm at it's loudest / clearest, is what it sounds like in my bedroom while it is going off.

Surely somebody else must have noticed this? I can't seem to find anything else about it on boards.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Those alarms are generally associated with something moving in order to make any people nearby aware of the potential danger. Could it be the shutters opening or a barrier or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

As Tabnabs said, it sounds like the advance warning for the road barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sounds like the warning sounds at the level crossing before the barriers come down.

OP unfortunately you do live beside a railway that is technically open 24 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tomselleck101

lxflyer wrote: »
    Sounds like the warning sounds at the level crossing before the barriers come down.

OP unfortunately you do live beside a railway that is technically open 24 hours a day.

Yeah that would make sense - only the barriers are opened / closed by hand . Also, trains don't start going until after 6.30 am I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah that would make sense - only the barriers are opened / closed by hand . Also, trains don't start going until after 6.30 am I think.

Might be a cargo train ? Or an engine being moved back to Dublin to connect onto carriages ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No, that's not the level crossing alarm at all. I lived beside Clongriffin and HowthJunction stations and sometimes that alarm would go off. Once at Clongriffin it went off on Friday night and kept going till Monday morning, I was fit to kill. I think it was the fire alarm as the lifts would go to the ground level and stay open, they could not be used, same at Howth Junction.

No freight trains run before 9:30am, and engine and stock movements are down late at night to be ready for the morning.

Level crossing sound here, its slower and lower pitched.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXuDhJKIT6U

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If that's the case maybe the OP should record it again with a decibel measuring device, there are noise pollution laws in place which might help him out. I'm not sure do they make exceptions for things like train stations but my guess is that they don't. But if it's illegal to honk your car horn between 11pm and 8am then these station alarms might just come under the same legislation. It's a tough one though, especially if the alarms are a safety device, that could take precedence over noise pollution. Often with cases like these it all comes down to what a judge perceives to be a reasonable level of noise, if the alarms are waking up hundreds of people with a high pitched noise that makes dogs howl then you may well have a case to at least get the volume of them turned down somewhat.

Only way to find out is to talk to someone in tHe environment section of the council. Best of luck with it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you contacted the station to ask about it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Have you contacted Irish Rail? A local public representative?

Advertisement