Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battery charger for mains charging

Options
  • 22-01-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

We now have two marine batteries not yet hooked up to anything. We bought to use with generator and solar panel (saw the massive thread on this, will take a look) , and I think engine too, but would also like to be able to use the mains (so we can get stuck in right away) and believe the right charger could make generator charging quicker too? What are people using? Looked at heavyweight thing on amazon (that will deliver to Ireland) but they all seem to mention car starting rather than campervanning, and we already have lots that will start the van battery already....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

We now have two marine batteries not yet hooked up to anything. We bought to use with generator and solar panel (saw the massive thread on this, will take a look) , and I think engine too, but would also like to be able to use the mains (so we can get stuck in right away) and believe the right charger could make generator charging quicker too? What are people using? Looked at heavyweight thing on amazon (that will deliver to Ireland) but they all seem to mention car starting rather than campervanning, and we already have lots that will start the van battery already....

Type of charger you need depends on the type of battery you've bought, and the size of your battery bank, in terms of generator charging the lower amps your charger, the longer and more costly running the generator becomes. Generator is only really useful for bulk charging as the last 30% of charge takes so long that its not worth running the generator.

It'd go with Sterling chargers
    or Pronautic (same thing US company)

After that I'd look at marine multi-bank chargers over campervan/auto versions I've never seen a campervan model as good. Preferably one that's programmable, temperature compensating and has seperate wires reading the battery voltage so as not to be self-defeating reading voltage off the charging wires. Also the ability to charge LiFePO4 may stand you some merit down the line.
    Never believe a charger that states "charges all battery types" it's complete hogwash, they will charge all battery types just most very badly and some not so well. Check your battery manufacturers recommended charge profile and get a charger to suit this or get a programmable one.

You'll need a separate charge controller for the solar unless you want to over-spec the solar charger and make a hybrid system that'll run everything through the solar controller or digital alternator regulator.

Best simple solution I've seen for charging split banks from multiple sources is the SmartBank.

You can get very expensive fast charger's off sterling for the gene and alternator but they're super expensive and only suitable for open lead acids and will require you to be heavy handed on battery maintenance see alt. to battery, digital alternator regulators and battery to battery chargers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

The 'marine' batteries might be starter batteries anyway so no point in going crazy over chargers without knowing what they are.

tehehe Niloc and I started that 'marine' parenthesis, Mwahaha!
    Chargers are an investment they're a buy once affair (hopefully) unlike batteries, so given the difference a good one and a bad one can have in terms of battery longevity (even crap batteries).
    I think always get the best you can it'll pay for itself. There may be a certain economy of getting a cheapy for a little used system especially with solar as a fall-back but I'm not recommending any.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

We were told they were starter and deep cycle batteries (bought secondhand). :confused:

Thanks guys, I will look into this shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

We were told they were starter and deep cycle batteries (bought secondhand). :confused:

Thanks guys, I will look into this shortly.

There's no such thing as a battery which is a starter battery and a deep cycle battery, though there are ones which will do both to some degree, 'jack of all trades but master of none' comes to mind.

It's worth a look HERE where everything to do with batteries is explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

Thanks, will take a look when I can.

I can imagine the use of having a battery that has oomph but deep cycle capabilities- for a blender or low power washing machine etc?

Sorry to break it to you but someone's been lying to you.
    If it can start an engine and has a cold cranking rating (CCA) it's a starter battery.
    It either has dense plates or high surface area plates so can't be both starter and deep cycle. Semi-traction are only a step away from a starter and as such could assist engine cranking but it's not a recomended practice, in this sense they could be considered a jack of all trades and can be used as a jack of all trades to it's own detriment.
    The oomph you are after can only be attained longterm with a substantial bank of semi-traction or traction batteries.

Tbh though everyones' first set of batteries can be considered sacrifical to the learning curve.

Advertisement