Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultralight Tent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

EDIT:

Planet X is using one and recommends it.

Very good review on Live for the Outdoors.

Looks like a good, lightweight tent. Price you quoted looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

It's bit a bad one at all
    Though
    I have the apex mini peak sil
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF106.html
    Brought it all over the country and to Northern Europe. I love it, best set up I ever bought. It's only 1.2kg and you can erect it fully in 5 mins or a a quick shelter from the elements in 1min 30. There's a cheaper version, non sil, for £40 less but it's heavier. You can also get a double nest too if you're not flying solo. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

hick wrote: »
    Though
    Brought it all over the country and to Northern Europe. I love it, best set up I ever bought. It's only 1.2kg and you can erect it fully in 5 mins or a a quick shelter from the elements in 1min 30. There's a cheaper version, non sil, for £40 less but it's heavier. You can also get a double nest too if you're not flying solo. Worth checking out.

How do you find it in the cold with the all mesh inner? And what height do you have your walking pole set to?
    I'm seriously considering this for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

No problems in the cold at all, there's good ventilation so there's little to no condensation.Remember the string vest princeliness it's the holes in the vest that allow and air insulation barrier. The best thing for the cold is a great mat, I have a neoair thermarest and also a well rated sleeping bag, alkit. Any shelter just needs to keep the wind and water out, the rest is up to your own insulation. The nest floor is great no matter how wet the ground is.

WRT the pole, I brought a cheap lidl style walking pole and strapped it to the bag. I have 2 aluminum sticks (trailblaze) but they are too light for a windy tarp support. I have the pole set to max height... ideal pole height 137 - 145cm. That gives plenty of room to go in hunched over or be up on your knees inside. There's tabs at each corner to tighten up the tarp and make in taught to stand against the wind. Theres an optional pole you can buy, but I [prefer to have the walking stick for it's multiple uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

hick wrote: »
    Though

I looked at the that tent before too but I'm 6'4" and I read a review somewhere that suggested the max usable sleeping length was only about 5'10".

The Vaude seems to have a usable sleep length of at least 7ft so that's one reason I'm going for it.

The price on amazon seems to be a bit of a bargain at the moment too. Irish sites are quoting nearly €400 for the same tent.

Amazon is great! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement