Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats Juan Mata worth?

• 22-01-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭

With Manchester United reported to have agreed a €40 million deal with Cherlsea for Spanish International Juan Mata, Do you think he is worth that price tag???

What do you think hes actually worth?

Juan-Mata-008.jpg

What do you think Juan Mata is worth? 219 votes

€15-€18 million
    0% 0 votes
    €18-€20 million
    2% 5 votes
    €21-€23 million
    1% 4 votes
    €24-€26 million
    2% 5 votes
    €27-€31 million
    10% 24 votes
    €32-€35 million
    17% 38 votes
    €36-€39 million
    22% 50 votes
    €40-€45 million
    15% 33 votes
    Under €15 Million
    25% 55 votes
    Unsure
    2% 5 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

He won't be joining United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

1 Wayne Rooney and 20million of your finest English pounds.

Hard to know what's he's worth.

40m seems a huge amount for a player that Jose doesn't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It depends on who you're comparing him with. If it's Andy Carroll, he's worth 100m. If it's Ozil, maybe 35. Although I think Ozil was very cheap for a player of his stature. I think about 40-45m, Mata's a brilliant little player and for my money the best in the league last season.

He won't be joining United.

Mourinho trolling Utd again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

If it's Ozil, maybe 35. Although I think Ozil was very cheap for a player of his stature.
    He's only a little guy. Pound per inch, he must be pretty expensive :)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hard to know what's he's worth.

40m seems a huge amount for a player that Jose doesn't play.

I'd argue that's more a problem with Mourinho than Mata.

Whys the poll in Euro amounts when the two teams invovled, at this time are British?

/Pedantic

Mourinho trolling Utd again?

Just can't see it happening.

If Mourinho, as I expect, still wants the United job then why would he sell them a player he obviously doesn't rate? He'll only end up with him again in a years time when he takes the job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Slightly less than Ozil.

About £35m (which could also buy one Andy Carroll)

• Advertisement

I'd argue that's more a problem with Mourinho than Mata.

Nope, definetly Mata, we cant find a place for him because the 3 that play do a lot more work then he does and its not like we've 3 John Walters running around throwing in tackles and tracking back, its 3 world class players.

If Mourinho, as I expect, still wants the United job then why would he sell them a player he obviously doesn't rate? He'll only end up with him again in a years time when he takes the job ;)

Do Utd want Mourinho as manager? I'd imagine if they did he'd be there right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Whys the poll in Euro amounts when the two teams invovled, at this time are British?

/Pedantic

Ah you're spot on though. I didnt realise it when i was typing. Just so used to it Im afraid.

I'm willing to bet Jose wont end up at Utd anytime in his career, why would he want a mid table, Europa league battle next year, makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Where are they reported to have agreed this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

It all depends who Chelsea are selling him too. Selling him to Utd he is going to cost a good bit more than selling him to Inter for example. Utd are a direct rival, and one in need of players in Mata's mould so it makes sense that Chelsea and Mourinho would up the price tag. 40m for a player of Mata's quality to Utd is probably a fair price given the current market. But I'd say he would probably go for closer 30m to a bigger team not in the same country.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah you're spot on though. I didnt realise it when i was typing. Just so used to it Im afraid.

PSG and 35million Euro so and I'll be happy :pac:

Do Utd want Mourinho as manager? I'd imagine if they did he'd be there right now.

Maybe Ferguson just preferred Moyes take over and the board shut up and took his advice. I think everyone and their mothers realise that Mourinho is far superior to Moyes in every single way.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Where are they reported to have agreed this?

Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

How much is Mata worth?

Times 40.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

beakerjoe wrote: »

Cool, surprised its not in more places if true

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Cool, surprised its not in more places if true

I tend to trust the Guardian more than most. Hopefully its true. Hopefully he wont be the only signing too.

Nope, definetly Mata, we cant find a place for him because the 3 that play do a lot more work then he does and its not like we've 3 John Walters running around throwing in tackles and tracking back, its 3 world class players.

I think it's still a problem with Mourinho. It's not necessary for all of your 11 to work hard (although it's not something I've noticed with Mata). He was perfectly happy to play Ozil at Madrid, and his workrate is less than Matas. Mata is also a better player than the 3 that do play. Mourinho should fit him in and adapt the team accordingly.

Sneijder rumour mark II?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sneijder rumour mark II?

The Sneijder story was never as advanced as this throughout various reputable sources. It was always mooted that wages were a huge stumbling block with that one, that doesn't appear to be the case here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm willing to bet Jose wont end up at Utd anytime in his career, why would he want a mid table, Europa league battle next year, makes no sense.

Mid table Europa league is not United's normal position - this is an exception, unless the Glazer plan is really to completely ruin the club. Don't know whether Mourinho will end up there or not, but when he's done with Chelsea I'm sure he'd be delighted with the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'd take Mata over Ozil to be honest. Great bit of business for United if they get him. I don't think he is exactly what is urgently needed by them though, but maybe they have more money to spend beyond this too.

Mourinho does make some very odd decisions sometimes. If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be furious that they're selling him at all, let alone to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

This is wrong. Mata was our best player by some distance and Jose chose to freeze him out for some obscure reason.

Hes been our best player the last two years, he got 20 goals with 35 assists last season, thats a great record. Oscar, Hazard and Willian are no work horses either, you're over rating the work they put in and its not a good enough reason to warrant leaving Mata out. Mata should be fit in with one of them missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He is worth little to Utd in terms of turning their season around - they should be signing a couple of top defenders and someone who can back up/compliment Carrick (someone better than Felliani), Mata is a crowd-pleasing signing who will end up playing on the wing instead of Valencia or Young. Okay that's an improvement but nonetheless damned expensive garnish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

2 and a half years left on his deal and warming the bench all season. There has to be some issues in the background that we are all unaware of in regards to Mata. I reckon £30 mill tops.

mike65 wrote: »
    He is worth little to Utd in terms of turning their season around -
    You sure about that? For me it's the Ozil effect, him coming in will make the whole team play better.
    they should be signing a couple of top defenders and someone who can back up/compliment Carrick (someone better than Felliani), Mata is a crowd-pleasing signing who will end up playing on the wing instead of Valencia or Young. Okay that's an improvement but nonetheless damned expensive garnish.
    Yeah they need that too, but they need creativity as well. Right now it's just failed cross after failed cross. Mata adds that bit of spark, while being far more versatile than Kagawa. He also played on the wing perfectly fine for Valencia and his first season at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Signing Mata would allow United to play a front four of
    Rooney (if fit)
    Januzaj - Kagawa - Mata
    With Adnan, Juan and Shinji all inter changing behind Rooney, or Chico or Welbeck, or whoever is up front. That attack will score goals. United lack any sort of creativity or natural flow in their current attack. Everythings static and slow, especially with Young/Valencia showing exactly how not to cross a ball day after day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't know why Chelsea would sell to United since United were so adament that Rooney wasn't going the other way in the summer?

If he does go, there has to be something else behind it...as in Rooney goes to Stamford Bridge in a few months?

I think it's still a problem with Mourinho. It's not necessary for all of your 11 to work hard (although it's not something I've noticed with Mata). He was perfectly happy to play Ozil at Madrid, and his workrate is less than Matas. Mata is also a better player than the 3 that do play. Mourinho should fit him in and adapt the team accordingly.

Madrid had and have a better CM then us to cover any short comings from Ozil, when you've Khedira and Alonso sitting, Ozil doesnt have much to worry about really.

Better than Willian I'd agree, hes just a tad better at creating then Oscar but Oscars playing because hes a better all round fit but none of them are as good as Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Are you saying mata isnt world class??? He has easily been chelseas star player for 2 tears before this year and jose benched him why? Yes chelsea have some fantastic players but mata deserved much more playtime. Only way i see it is that jose either a has personal issues towards him or jose is mad..... seriously when in past couple seasons we played chelsea any time mata got the ball around the box it was panic stations..

I dont understand chelsea srlling him it has to be to ease tensions re rooney to pave move for chelsea in summer

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Rooney (if fit)
    Januzaj - Kagawa - Mata

With Adnan, Juan and Shinji all inter changing behind Rooney, or Chico or Welbeck, or whoever is up front. That attack will score goals. United lack any sort of creativity or natural flow in their current attack. Everythings static and slow, especially with Young/Valencia showing exactly how not to cross a ball day after day.

Also, whats Utd fans hard on with Kagawa about? He hasnt got picked consistently by 2 managers for the best part of 18months.

If there was ever time to cut losses surely he has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Also, whats Utd fans hard on with Kagawa about? He hasnt got picked consistently by 2 managers for the best part of 18months.

If there was ever time to cut losses surely he has to go.

Moyes either likes him or not in CAM kagawa would be a beast he is wasted position wise when he plays

Madrid had and have a better CM then us to cover any short comings from Ozil, when you've Khedira and Alonso sitting, Ozil doesnt have much to worry about really.

Better than Willian I'd agree, hes just a tad better at creating then Oscar but Oscars playing because hes a better all round fit but none of them are as good as Hazard.

For a Chelsea fan you seem to have forgotton just how good Mata is. Look at last season, what was it 20 goals and 30 odd assists. Hazard isn't going to come close to that for a long time. Mata was arguably the best player in the league, Hazard isn't there. Oscar doesn't register at all compared to Mata, at last on ability. Fair point on the CMs, but I'd hope that Luiz/Matic/Mikel/Ramires are good enough at covering for one "luxury" player. Your entire team does not have to work, or there'd be no place for the Ozils, Silvas, Iniestas, Zidanes of the world.

For a Chelsea fan you seem to have forgotton just how good Mata is. Look at last season, what was it 20 goals and 30 odd assists. Hazard isn't going to come close to that for a long time. Mata was arguably the best player in the league, Hazard isn't there. Oscar doesn't register at all compared to Mata, at last on ability. Fair point on the CMs, but I'd hope that Luiz/Matic/Mikel/Ramires are good enough at covering for one "luxury" player. Your entire team does not have to work, or there'd be no place for the Ozils, Silvas, Iniestas, Zidanes of the world.

I havent forgotten at all, he was our stand out player last year, but Hazard wasnt a mile off, 17 goals and 21 assists in his debut season is better then what Mata managed, in 3 years time I'd expect Hazard to be a better player then Mata was for Chelsea.

Matas main competition is Willian, for my money, but I'd agree with Oscar not being great over the last few weeks, hjis early season form hasnt being all the evident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Unless Mourinho has a midfielder or 2 in the wings, he's not going anywhere.

De Bruyne and Mata going leaves them short in those attacking areas IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Mata is every bit as good as Ozil so should they not be in the same price range.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Unless Mourinho has a midfielder or 2 in the wings, he's not going anywhere.

De Bruyne and Mata going leaves them short in those attacking areas IMO.

I've said as much already, it was one or the other, IMO.

couple that with the other AM we signed, Traore, being loaned out at the start of January as soon as we signed him means our cover is the starting 3 and Schurrle, Ramires or Eto'o can be shoe horned into wide positions but we'd lack any quality if one of the other 3 pull up injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Why does it matter? They're just figures written on a piece of paper by an insanely rich group/individual. If he improves the team hes worth whatever he costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think he is worth 3 goats and a finely aged bit of cheese, but thats just me

kryogen wrote: »
    I think he is worth 3 goats and a finely aged bit of cheese, but thats just me

What kind of cheese, its key to the deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Rooney (if fit)
    Januzaj - Kagawa - Mata

Errr... have you forgot about a certain Mr. Robin Van Persie??

Van Persie
    Mata - Rooney - Januzaj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mata could do what Ozil has done for Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You sure about that? For me it's the Ozil effect, him coming in will make the whole team play better.

The Ozil effect is a myth.

Pro. F wrote: »
    The Ozil effect is a myth.

Except that it isn't. It's not a coincidence that Arsenal are playing so much better, even when he isn't necessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Except that it isn't. It's not a coincidence that Arsenal are playing so much better, even when he isn't necessarily.

The first 6 months of 2013 they had league winning form and they have continued that on. Ozil has been quiet poor by his standards in the last 2 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement