Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14KM link

Options
  • 22-01-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am using 2 nanobridge m5's for a 14km link but the user is saying that the speed is not constant even though I have a -67 signal strength reading.

I have dropped the channel width to 20Mhz and set the freq to 5785Mhz on them and this has helped a bit.

I have been recommend on the Ubiquiti forum to replace the kit and use a pair of Rocket M5's with AirMax 30dBi dish antennas - Anyone have experiance of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 revver

is there some sort of setting to allow the radio cards to wait that extra bit due to propagation delays?
    @ -67dBm of signal strength you really should have no problems.

Do you have any interference sources nearby? other AP's/clients Try each channel individually and be patient..
    If you have a ping watchdog to reset the unit incase you lose contact with the remote station activate it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

revver wrote: »
    is there some sort of setting to allow the radio cards to wait that extra bit due to propagation delays?
    @ -67dBm of signal strength you really should have no problems.

Do you have any interference sources nearby? other AP's/clients Try each channel individually and be patient..
    If you have a ping watchdog to reset the unit incase you lose contact with the remote station activate it...

I dont think there is a setting to do that.

I have done an airview scan as its a feature on this units and there is nothing really on the same that could give much interferance at all.

Its so strange as the end user gets 28mb on a speedtest then 9 mb a few min later.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 revver

have you something directly on the network that you can run a speed test on or are you using the internet for speedtest?

I used to have a 28km link to internet comprising of:

Radio1 --> <-- Radio2 -- Radio 3 --> <-- Radio 4 -- internet

The link from Radio1 to Radio 2 was perfect.
    But the link from Radio3 to Radio4 wasn't so good and used to be intermittently bad.

For a normal user, they used to think it was the internet speed, but it turned out to be the 2nd hop which was causing the issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Need more info.

What are the other readings:
    - Horizontal/Vertical chain
    - Noise Floor
    - CCQ
    - Tx/Rx

Do you have AirMax enabled and what priority?
    If so what are Airmax capacity and quality readings?

As revver said, if you can check the speed on the network as opposed to over the internet it will give you a better indication as to the actual throughput of the link.
    Like between two routers directly behind each NanoBridge?
    Or even using the speedtest tool on the NanoBridge itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Also, I think the setting revver is talking about is the Long Range PtP Link Mode found under the Airmax settings on the AP.
    This shouldn't be an issue over 14Km though - would really only be used over longer (>25Km) links.

• Advertisement
Advertisement