Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old printworks Glasnevin

Options
  • 22-01-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know who bought the old printworks in Glasnevin?. There was a proposal to turn it into a community garden.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

With the size of that site plus teh price of land i doubt if it'll be turned into some hippy allotments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I figured as much , I think what the area really needs is some PVC clad warehouses full the hilt with low paid jobs. Or a shopping centre maybe?. :rolleyes:

Seanachai wrote: »
    I figured as much , I think what the area really needs is some PVC clad warehouses full the hilt with low paid jobs. Or a shopping centre maybe?. :rolleyes:

You reckon a "community garden" will provide employment,yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Doesn't say anything about ownership but this has some insight: http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/Chapter6%204%20Printworks%20Pg%2086-89.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It might be owned by Green Properties. Here's a Northside People article on the community garden/allotments idea. http://dublinpeople.net/article.php?id=952

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think I was on the market for €4 million so I can't imagine it being turned into allotments. Plus most houses in the area all have large gardens. The roads are too congested for any serious amount of retail. I say it was be developed into apartments or offices

That's all we need...more apartments.

I think that article about a community garden was an interim idea being mooted by locals as long as the site remained undeveloped.

In fairness it would have been nice for DCC to aquire the site and turn it into a park or something although no doubt the price would've been exhorbitant.

IMO this is an early sign of another property bubble,bearing in mind the site of Dollymount House has now commenced building apartments after lying dormant for several years.

chopper6 wrote: »
    You reckon a "community garden" will provide employment,yeah?

I was being sarcastic , pvc warehouses as in industrial estates. Needing space to create employment in the from of shopping centres or assembly line jobs is one of the reasons they seem to roll out to justify not creating public amenities or green space in cities.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic , pvc warehouses as in industrial estates. Needing space to create employment in the from of shopping centres or assembly line jobs is one of the reasons they seem to roll out to justify not creating public amenities or green space in cities.

Nothing surer than that will become a block of overpriced apartments...they Govt have no interest in creating employment,they're chasing the old FF chimera of stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

That's all we need...more apartments.

I think that article about a community garden was an interim idea being mooted by locals as long as the site remained undeveloped.

In fairness it would have been nice for DCC to aquire the site and turn it into a park or something although no doubt the price would've been exhorbitant.

IMO this is an early sign of another property bubble,bearing in mind the site of Dollymount House has now commenced building apartments after lying dormant for several years.

Actually Dublin city needs a ton of apartments as there is a massive shortage for accommodation. Its far better we build in the city, rather than having thousands commuting into the city for jobs every morning from suburbs with zero character or services.

Glasnevin already has about 4 maybe 5 parks( plus the botanic gardens, cemetery and na fianna) and it doesnt need another one. Plus DCC doesnt have the money to be throwing around like its 2006 again. Glasnevin needs services like restaurants and more shops as there is very little at the moment.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Actually Dublin city needs a ton of apartments as there is a massive shortage for accommodation. Its far better we build in the city, rather than having thousands commuting into the city for jobs every morning from suburbs with zero character or services.

Glasnevin already has about 4 maybe 5 parks( plus the botanic gardens, cemetery and na fianna) and it doesnt need another one. Plus DCC doesnt have the money to be throwing around like its 2006 again. Glasnevin needs services like restaurants and more shops as there is very little at the moment.

Agreed.

The nearest Tesco is phibsboro and the one in Drumcondra only seems to sell pringles and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Agreed.

The nearest Tesco is phibsboro and the one in Drumcondra only seems to sell pringles and drink.

Tesco Clearwater?

Where is the site?

sullivlo wrote: »
    Tesco Clearwater?

Where is the site?

No..clearwater is a good bit further away in finglas.

there is a tesco in phibsboro shopping centre and a tesco express in drumcondra.

The site is in glasnevin along the main road to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

I am 95% certain I read an article in The Irish Times within the last 4 months saying this site had been sold and apartments were going to be built but I cannot for the life of me find it.

The site is in glasnevin along the main road to town.

Cheers for clearing that up ;)

Is it opposite the sunny bank hotel where smurfits used to be?

Cheers for clearing that up ;)

Is it opposite the sunny bank hotel where smurfits used to be?

Yeah its the old Smurfits site.

I used to cut thru those grounds on my way swimming on a Saturday mornings. Big site. I don't know how competitive a big tesco would be there - it is pretty close to Phibsboro. But that stretch of the road is crying out for a spar / centra / tesco express. Would do a roaring trade with all the schools in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I wouldn't reckon they'd allow a big Tesco there, the traffic can already be mental at non peak hours of the day.

January wrote: »
    I wouldn't reckon they'd allow a big Tesco there, the traffic can already be mental at non peak hours of the day.

As i've said i reckon it'll be apartments.

Which will do nothing to improve the traffic bottleneck that exists all the way to the quays.

I used to cut thru those grounds on my way swimming on a Saturday mornings. Big site. I don't know how competitive a big tesco would be there - it is pretty close to Phibsboro. But that stretch of the road is crying out for a spar / centra / tesco express. Would do a roaring trade with all the schools in the area.

I suppose a Supervalu or a big Centra would be handy and apartments could look well if they are in well laid out blocks. No more Tescos though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I am 95% certain I read an article in The Irish Times within the last 4 months saying this site had been sold and apartments were going to be built but I cannot for the life of me find it.

100% :)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/strong-demand-for-infill-sites-in-dublin-suburbs-1.1600178
    Also on the north side of the city, a UK developer has emerged as the top bidder at €4.5 million for a five-acre site at Botanic Road in Glasnevin.
    A local area plan has stipulated that one acre should be set aside for a school. The new owner is expected to seek planning permission for between 12 and 16 houses per acre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Seems like a well thought out plan. The one thing I would be seriously concerned about is vehicular access into the Iona area, which could not possibly cope with the extra traffic.
    Seems as if there's a nice windfall coming for the residents of any house backing onto the site.

roadsmart wrote: »
    Seems as if there's a nice windfall coming for the residents of any house backing onto the site.

How come?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

The residents on Marguerite rd, Iona park and Iona rd will be encouraged to construct 2 storey mews dwellings at the end of their gardens for inclusion in the development, if I'm reading the plans/recommendations right. Not sure how it'll work, given that there's lane ways at the back of a lot of them.

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/Chapter6%204%20Printworks%20Pg%2086-89.pdf

(Page 3, mentioned 3 times)

roadsmart wrote: »
    The residents on Marguerite rd, Iona park and Iona rd will be encouraged to construct 2 storey mews dwellings at the end of their gardens for inclusion in the development, if I'm reading the plans/recommendations right. Not sure how it'll work, given that there's lane ways at the back of a lot of them.

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/Chapter6%204%20Printworks%20Pg%2086-89.pdf

(Page 3, mentioned 3 times)

More small dwellings crammed into a small space to make a quick buck for a few people.

Where have we heard all this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Hely Thom (Printers) operated on that site before Smurfits took it over (in the mid-late 60's I think); whenever I pass the site I think of another era and how the years have passed. It's a nice residential area, personally I wouldn't like to see another supermarket built there, it's a desirable area to live if dwellings of some sort were to be built there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It was originally a Player's Tobacco factory. The protected structures are all on that section of the site.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Was it not the building beside it that was Players?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Smurfits originally occupied only part of the overall site, but they eventually took over the main Player's offices and factory buildings as well.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I presume the redbrick chimneys and the older parts will be left intact?

Advertisement