Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training

Options
  • 22-01-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

We've been totty training our son for well over 12 months now. Within the first few days he was peeing freely in the potty but always went off and hid for his number 2(also done this in his nappies). He's 3 and a half now, and I'm getting beyond frustrated with cleaning his pants after his bowel movement.

We've tried everything from primary and secondary rewards (kinder egg and praise); star charts, asking him what he wants for reward; showing him how mammy and daddy do it; following him around all day for "the sign" of a bowel movement; blowing bubbles to entice a movement etc. I've only had success on 6 occasions over the past 18 months, when I left his pants off at home and followed him around the house until he showed me the signal, but this in reality, is impractical.

It's a frustrating power struggle as he knows he needs to go but keeps going in his pants. I must also point out that we never show any anger during the process, and reassure him that it's okay for passing a stool, encouraging him to go to the toilet next time....I'm a great believer that every child comes along at their own pace, but it's getting beyond a joke.....any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would forget about it for a few weeks and then come back to it with out making any big deal about it.
    I would also pick a few days that you are at home and leave pants off him and pottys around the house. I think the more you stress about it and the more it stresses him the less likely you are to get the result that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

Your not alone, I just started potty training, my son will be 3 in march. First couple of days he was great just went and did what he needed to do and called me to show me he had done it. Then he just stopped so I'm following him around most of the time asking does he need to go he tries or says no and then wets himself. Every child is different, some get it straight away and some don't hang in there take a break from it if you want to, you will get there in the end. Chin up:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Raychi

Hi my little girl seems to have the hang of it until..... night time!! still needs nappies at night?? is this normal, shes just gone 3 last week? any ideas to help

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

Its all normal, don't worry it will come in time. Every child is different and we all know someone who says their child was trained in a matter of days trust me they are the exception not the rule. It just takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think most kids aren't night trained for a long time. Some mums have told me they could be 4 before they're ready. My son is trained since October but wears a pull-up at night.

We've noticed that whenever there's a change in his life (sister starting crèche, moving bedroom) he does his poos in his sleep. After a few days it goes back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 scoobs2104

Please help me. I'm in desperate need of getting my little girl potty trained. This is my second attempt, the last time I tried was back in October and it was a total disaster. Her friend at the child minders is currently being trained so she decided to sit on the potty last week and pee by herself. However this week she is with my mother in law so the encouragement of a friend is not there. Since last Friday she has only managed to use the potty 3 times to pee, there have been countless accidents. I've tried everything reward chart, praise, treats I'm now resorting to bribery with little effect. She's aware the nappies are gone and when she does wet herself she immediately looks for a dry panty, so I'm wondering should I persevere or just stop again and wait another few months. She is 3 in April. The anxiety is worse than anything else I've gone through with her, no one tells you potty training is so frustrating. HELP ME PLEASE! I'd so appreciate any tips, advise, book recommendations from anyone & everyone. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd put the nappies back on and try again in a few months. She's not 3 til april... still young. My little girl will be three in march, and was day-potty trained in autumn last year, but she has completely regressed now that there is a new baby on the way. Wants to be in the cot instead of the bed, asks for a bottle and a dummy... all this baby craic. We've resisted it all, but puddles are no good all over the house, so had to concede there. So she's back in normal nappies this week. She had just stopped telling me she needed to go.

She used the potty fine this morning, and she is able to take them off herself when she needs to go, so I'm going to just leave her another bit in the nappies rather than stressing the two of us about it. I'm not the speediest on my feet at 35 weeks pregnant anyway, so bringing her to the loo at 0 notice when we are out and about is tricky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 olddognotricks

Both mine were well past three before I even tried, (lazy mommy!!) even at that they needed plenty of encouragement, put the nappies back on and try again in a few months....I was told if its not happening after a few days leave it and try again some other time....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shannongirl13

Every child is different so don't let other people say that he/she would be toilet trained already because that's bull ask if they would like to use the big toilet my son was nearly 4 when he started using the toilet and he did occasionally wet the bed at night after so we used the sleep tight pull ups for him and he told us when he was ready to be a big boy like his daddy so try the "big boy/girl toilet" and see how he/she gets on and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As said above every child is defferent. Our first fella was over three before he started gettingthe hang on it. Only thing was he wouldn't do his number 2 on the toilet at all. It got to the stage where I put him on the toilet and told him he wasn't coming off it until he'd made a deposit! 2 minutes later he'd done his business and it was plain sailing after that.
    Our second fella is just over two and a few week ago he took his mother by the hand and led to her to the bathroom where we asked to do a wee wee!
    Now we have the nappy off most of the day and in general he tells us that he needs to go. Mind you, if he's looking at something interesting on the TV then the floor is as acceptable to him as the toilet! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my 3 y/o uses the toilet during the day. he doesnt want the baby seat on the toilet anymore and will happily stand and do a wee like daddy( he's tall).

We tried taking them off at night but he ended up wetting himself too much so we will try again at a later stage.

I've always made it a fun experience or him on the toilet and we laugh and make jokes about him going.

when he has an accident its not a problem and shouldn't be a problem.
    The only thing we have to do is lock the bathroom door due to all the chemicals in the press in there. So we need to be attentive to him when he asks to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Don't worry my daughter has only been toilet trained the past. 4 weeks and she's 4 in July!!! She hated the potty so I got one of those toilet seats you attach to the grown up seat and a step for her to walk up to it. Also the tesco apple scented toilet wipes for kids. She wears a pull up nappy at night still. Don't worry your child will do it naturally at their own pace. I tried both my kids from age of 3 but stopped because they just weren't ready. My son was 3 1/2 when he started also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I just started toilet training my son, he is 2.8 months old. We are training him on an adapter toilet seat on the toilet instead of a potty....He will sit on the toilet with no nappy on fine, but wont do anything. I have tried leaving him roam around the house with no nappy and kept asking if he needs to go but wont tell me. He holds it all in until I eventually put a nappy back on him.....Any tips greatly appreciated on how to get him to let go while on the toilet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    I just started toilet training my son, he is 2.8 months old. We are training him on an adapter toilet seat on the toilet instead of a potty....He will sit on the toilet with no nappy on fine, but wont do anything. I have tried leaving him roam around the house with no nappy and kept asking if he needs to go but wont tell me. He holds it all in until I eventually put a nappy back on him.....Any tips greatly appreciated on how to get him to let go while on the toilet!!

Maybe he's just not ready yet he still only 2. If he's really not interested maybe try him as the weather gets warmer. Also buy pull ups for him and underpants. There are books about potty training for kids too. Personally if leave him until he is 3 in the summer and try him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

lukesmom wrote: »
    Maybe he's just not ready yet he still only 2. If he's really not interested maybe try him as the weather gets warmer. Also buy pull ups for him and underpants. There are books about potty training for kids too. Personally if leave him until he is 3 in the summer and try him again.

Hey, thanks for advice, I did think about stopping and trying again later but he has gotten used to sitting on toilet now and I put his poos down so he knows where it goes and he likes pushing the flush button, so don't really want to stop. May try again just sitting him on toilet with nappy still on first.

Advertisement