Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Spotify premium worth the extra 10 yoyo's a month?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong, I love spotify but the only advantage I see with the 10 euro package is the ability to download albums as playlists while on your wi-fi connection and then you can listen to them offline. And in anycase most smartphones have 3g or 4g nowadays so you can listen to spotify on the go anyway.

What am I losing out on by going back to the free service? If it's just a few ads then no problem.

Currently on the premium service I like the browse, discover and radio options - I presume all of these are available on free?

Anyone have any idea if I'd miss out on anything essential by going back to free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

You get much higher quality streams when you pay for it, the quality of the music sound is the single most important factor to me. I use Google music, not Spotify. I love the fact I have my complete music collection uploaded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I use Google music, not Spotify. I love the fact I have my complete music collection uploaded

I never heard about this until now. Took me 2 minutes to set it up. I'll have 498 albums in my pocket by the end of the day. Sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

10 yoyos is your contribution to the music industry if you wanted to look at it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You get much higher quality streams when you pay for it, the quality of the music sound is the single most important factor to me. I use Google music, not Spotify. I love the fact I have my complete music collection uploaded
    ThirdMan wrote: »
    I never heard about this until now. Took me 2 minutes to set it up. I'll have 498 albums in my pocket by the end of the day. Sick.

Its like listening to those badly dubbed, two person conversation adverts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Knex. wrote: »
    Its like listening to those badly dubbed, two person conversation adverts. :pac:

What's that number again? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Google music is great. Cheap as chips, as in free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

donfers wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I love spotify but the only advantage I see with the 10 euro package is the ability to download albums as playlists while on your wi-fi connection and then you can listen to them offline. And in anycase most smartphones have 3g or 4g nowadays so you can listen to spotify on the go anyway.

What am I losing out on by going back to the free service? If it's just a few ads then no problem.

Currently on the premium service I like the browse, discover and radio options - I presume all of these are available on free?

Anyone have any idea if I'd miss out on anything essential by going back to free?

You have a lot less control over what you listen to on the free service. You can only shuffle an artists tracks randomly. Can't pick albums or tracks individually and listen to exactly what you want. You can skip 6 tracks per hour.

The radio features remain the same I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You have a lot less control over what you listen to on the free service. You can only shuffle an artists tracks randomly. Can't pick albums or tracks individually and listen to exactly what you want. You can skip 6 tracks per hour.
    I wish there was button in the free service version that could be used to punch that annoying American guy telling me to upgrade to premium in the face.

Otherwise I just find it nice to use to listen to playlists on shuffle while I'm working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Google music is great. Cheap as chips, as in free.

Excuse me for asking, I just had a look and it was showing albums for 9.99 etc.

Is there a way to get it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I think it's a good service and I used it a lot for a few months, but I canceled my membership earlier this month.

I found I wasn't "listening" to music, not in a way I wanted to anway.
    I was too spoiled for choice. I'd be enjoying an album but rather than spending time with it, I'd go off on a musical-tangent.

Anyone else find this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 newbygirl

Google music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Excuse me for asking, I just had a look and it was showing albums for 9.99 etc.

Is there a way to get it for free?

How do you get google music free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I had premium for a while, and found it brilliant. Playing playlists offline or on the go was great too.

The downside was i was dependant on it, as if i didn't have premium, i didn't have the album, and could only listen to the music from a pc or laptop.

When i cancelled premium and went back to the free service, i found i was missing a load of albums (from say my ipod) and that was a pain in the balls tbh.

I still use it to find new music and find it great, but i prefer to get the albums myself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

monkeynuz wrote: »
    How do you get google music free?

There's a free trial going about but it's 9.99 a month usually.

The free version however I think is pretty cool cos it let's you upload your music collection on to your google account to then stream. It gives you space for 20,000 songs, great for saving the space on your computer hard drive.

In the middle of doing this at the moment.

Has anyone else had a look at Qobuz? I've just signed up for the free month. It's €20 a month but let's you stream in flac. Been having a listen and the sound quality really is excellent. I think I may keep it on after the months ran out, it will all depend on the content but so far ive been able to find most of what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

smokedeels wrote: »
    I think it's a good service and I used it a lot for a few months, but I canceled my membership earlier this month.

I found I wasn't "listening" to music, not in a way I wanted to anway.
    I was too spoiled for choice. I'd be enjoying an album but rather than spending time with it, I'd go off on a musical-tangent.

Anyone else find this?

Yep, still have premium mind you. Ya, the days playing the same album over and over are gone since i got spotify.

That being said i went from listening to tonnes of music as a teenager to very little for a few years and only refinding my love of music again now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I had premium for a while, and found it brilliant. Playing playlists offline or on the go was great too.

The downside was i was dependant on it, as if i didn't have premium, i didn't have the album, and could only listen to the music from a pc or laptop.

When i cancelled premium and went back to the free service, i found i was missing a load of albums (from say my ipod) and that was a pain in the balls tbh.

I still use it to find new music and find it great, but i prefer to get the albums myself now.

I see that with spotify free, you can listen free on your mobile now, with the app.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

if spotify free now has no time limit on streaming and is available on mobile then I may just go free - I can put up with a few ads

what else am I losing out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

no playlists and albums are always on shuffle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Well worth it imo. I use it extensively though. As someone who loves music I don't find a contribution of ten euro a month to much to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup use it all the time, but nobody told me i could pay in yo-yos? i've a box of like 500 out in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

yup use it all the time, but nobody told me i could pay in yo-yos? i've a box of like 500 out in the shed.

Really???

I'll swap you a shoebox full of assorted pogs for 10 of them

On the off chance you're not joking what type of YoYo's are they. I am the one person in Ireland that didnt stop yoyoing. I still play with my yoyo everyday. It gets me none of the girls,but im pretty great on it if i may say so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Has anyone else had a look at Qobuz? I've just signed up for the free month. It's €20 a month but let's you stream in flac. Been having a listen and the sound quality really is excellent. I think I may keep it on after the months ran out, it will all depend on the content but so far ive been able to find most of what I want.

Tried it because i got an email from Sonos informing me of it, picked premium instead of hi-fi for the free subscription so fecked up there.

Is it just me or can you change the desktop software from french?

I used to have Napster because i got it free for 6 months with my Sonos system, have Spotify premium now and I couldn't be without it, i use it a huge amount and so it is well worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement