Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracked alloy frame

• 22-01-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

My town bike frame cracked yesterday as I went over a speed bump (WTF). Crack is where the derailleur hanger bolts onto the frame.

Can this be welded safely, and if so can anyone suggest who can do it, or do I just look around for another frame?

I'm based in Kilmainham.

Thanks, J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

How old is the bike? Has it had a hard life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Joff wrote: »
    My town bike frame cracked yesterday as I went over a speed bump (WTF). Crack is where the derailleur hanger bolts onto the frame.

Can this be welded safely, and if so can anyone suggest who can do it, or do I just look around for another frame?

I'm based in Kilmainham.

Thanks, J.

These guys might be able to help: http://www.bicycledesigncentre.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

How old is the bike? may be covered under warranty if you're the original owner. Had a frame crack on me a few years back - feel your pain. May be reparable, but depends where the crack is.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Joff

How old is the bike? Has it had a hard life?

Bought it second-hand in 2012 so not certain of age. Condition was generally good with no signs of a particularly hard life, certainly no signs of previous damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Paddigol

AFAIK Wayne in Cycleplus in Greystones (a bit out of the way!) does carbon repairs. I know he went abroad (US I think) last year to complete a course in this field so should be able to field any queries you have. Not really an area you'd want to be messing about in I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Paddigol wrote: »
    AFAIK Wayne in Cycleplus in Greystones (a bit out of the way!) does carbon repairs. I know he went abroad (US I think) last year to complete a course in this field so should be able to field any queries you have. Not really an area you'd want to be messing about in I'd say.

Wayne indeed does carbon repairs..Gent to deal with!

I know though that this is an alloy repair that you are looking at..On the off chance, is it a Trek frame? If so, they have a lifetime warranty on their frames..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

, is it a Trek frame? If so, they have a lifetime warranty on their frames..[/quote]

Original owner only

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Joff

ckeego wrote: »
    Wayne indeed does carbon repairs..Gent to deal with!

I know though that this is an alloy repair that you are looking at..On the off chance, is it a Trek frame? If so, they have a lifetime warranty on their frames..

Not a trek anyhow, but have arranged to buy Not Yets Giant Rapid from the For Sale section so at least I'll be mobile again:) (Thanks Not Yet)

I think I'll look around for another frame, and build it up into a spare bike when I've got some time........would always be worried weld would crack again as its right next to the RD hanger bolt hole.

ford2600 wrote: »
    , is it a Trek frame? If so, they have a lifetime warranty on their frames..

Original owner only[/QUOTE]

They will honour it with the receipt! Been there, have the t-shirt!! They can be a bit picky about integral hangars on the older model carbon frames though...

Joff wrote: »
    Not a trek anyhow, but have arranged to buy Not Yets Giant Rapid from the For Sale section so at least I'll be mobile again:) (Thanks Not Yet)

I think I'll look around for another frame, and build it up into a spare bike when I've got some time........would always be worried weld would crack again as its right next to the RD hanger bolt hole.

There is cracking (ahem! I'll get my jacket..) value on frames around the various sites at the moment if the components are worth saving (see Ribble, Planet X etc) which is a nice project to attempt.

BTW Not too sure how well alloys (as opposed to steel) weld..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ckeego wrote: »
    There is cracking (ahem! I'll get my jacket..) value on frames around the various sites at the moment if the components are worth saving (see Ribble, Planet X etc) which is a nice project to attempt.

BTW Not too sure how well alloys (as opposed to steel) weld..

Dolan have an eBay outlet - you might pick up a frame for around €160 delivered - this is without forks and seat post, about €200 including these

Built myself up nice bike when my own giant frame cracked in late 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

I had a crack in the same location of an alloy frame years ago, got it welded by a guy who had the equipment for welding alloys but it failed again 6 months later. IMO you might get some extra life out of your frame but it'll likely let you down at some point...

Advertisement