Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Conifers - Can anyone identify for me please?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone identify the conifers in this picture for me please so I can google to find if they'll be suitable for my garden?

Thanks in advance

plants_wk0414_01.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

one on the right's a thuja smaragd.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

One on the left is chamaecyparis columnaris, middle is thuja brabant and the right is thuja smaragd as celticbhoy27 said

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Stright to the top of the class with you both !!

Thanks for that. Off to google now !

Are these all quite columnar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Smaragd are incredibly neat. They need zero maintenance. They just grow up. Smaragd not really suitable for a hedge though.

Columnaris spread a great deal more. They can form a hedge. Not near as neat. They'll probably need shaping.

Don't know much about the other one.

• Advertisement

These are back on sale at a fiver from next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

keltoms05 wrote: »
    One on the left is chamaecyparis columnaris, middle is thuja brabant and the right is thuja smaragd as celticbhoy27 said

Columnaris in the middle and Brabant on the left.

Smargd tend to get internal dieback after a few years so be careful with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Chamaecyparis 'Columnaris' is a very poor plant. Uses to get fungal diseases, would never recommend that. Thuja 'Brabant' is an easy growing plant very good for evergreen hedges. Makes a closed hedge and needs about 2- 3 cuttings each year depending on weather conditions and how correctly you would like to have it. Thuja 'Smaragd' is also a good plant for hedging, grows slower and is indeed very neat. As someone mentioned before it also had several problems with fungal diseases in recent years. But that is very depending on weather conditions.

Anyway be careful with the discounter plants for most of them come with a (too) small container and if they start selling on monday on tuesday the plants are already too dry. In my experience the staff is not watering them (enough) and indoor conditions of a discounter is not what plants would call the best atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It really exasperates me to see cut flowers and container plants dying in supermarkets for want of water. Last time I complained that the cut flowers had no water an irritated manager type tipped the bucket so that there was half an inch of water at one side, and said, yes they do!

Back Thursday 11th

Not buying anymore Brabant from LIDL as last two years in bought 12 and had to replace about 7 of them last Jan, of those about half have lived (even though half them went brown and had to cut them back to a whip almost)

The smagard are growing v well.

These come root balled as in not in a sack but just dug up placed into a pot and some soil thrown in around them for sale, I’m convinced that’s why originally so many died on me. They were quite dry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement