Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New runners

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I purchased a new pair pair of new balance recently (http://www.elverys.ie/Product/New-Balance-560v3-Mens-Running-Shoe-SilverBlue/222431/0000000609) as recommended by assessment in-store.

Since getting the new runners, I have been jogging 4-5 times (7km), and ending up with a sore left foot (top of foot vein bulging & sore big toe for a few days post). I have started wearing them in the evenings hoping breaking them in but I am suffering similar pain.

I did a jog the other evening in my old runners with no ill effects (c. 7 days not wearing the new ones). I had no previous issue with my new balance old runners.

Is this normal breaking-in a new pair of runners? Should I try thicker socks? Or is there something fundamentally wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I purchased a new pair pair of new balance recently (http://www.elverys.ie/Product/New-Balance-560v3-Mens-Running-Shoe-SilverBlue/222431/0000000609) as recommended by assessment in-store.

Since getting the new runners, I have been jogging 4-5 times (7km), and ending up with a sore left foot (top of foot vein bulging & sore big toe for a few days post). I have started wearing them in the evenings hoping breaking them in but I am suffering similar pain.

I did a jog the other evening in my old runners with no ill effects (c. 7 days not wearing the new ones). I had no previous issue with my new balance old runners.

Is this normal breaking-in a new pair of runners? Should I try thicker socks? Or is there something fundamentally wrong?

Any help appreciated.

TBH it sounds as if the shoes are being tied too tight and are possibly a size too small for you too.

What are the model of your old shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

New balance 580 v2 is the old pair. Shoe size be 1/2 size bigger with both pairs of runners compared to my normal shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

New balance 580 v2 is the old pair. Shoe size be 1/2 size bigger with both pairs of runners compared to my normal shoes.

All depends on if the shoe size is correct in the first place. Runners size differently to shoes so, I'll stilll say size is likely to be wrong if toes are sore.

I don't think the 580 is a running shoe, more like one of the NB style range. You shouldn't be having issues and breaking a shoe in is just wrong, it means it's not right for you to start with if its forcing a change on the body.

Worth going back for a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

New Balance offer different width sizes with some shoes so these could be narrower pushing the foot upwards and making it tight around your upper foot perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

A quick Google tells me the 580v2 is an entry level neutral shoe, but the one you've just been advised to get is an entry level stability shoe.

On my phone so not easy to give full explanation - I'll leave that to AKW's expertise, but would hazard a guess thst it's part of the problem along with needing a bigger size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement