Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC freeze problems

Options
  • 22-01-2014 2:01pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay guys, self build around 3 years old, W7 64 OS on an OCZ Vertex2 60gig SSD and then another 5 drives that serve as elements of backup and file storage.
    Getting random freezes, no pattern, sometimes two/three a day, sometime all okay for a few days. Just there now I needed to boot several times to get past the motherboard logo and onto windows. A lot of the time the PC really slows up beforehand and the cursor will change shape into a straight line!
    PC on every day, gave it a full clean in case temp was the problem and no impact on the issue, cooler master case with good few fans all operating well.
    When I start task manager only firefox is consuming a lot of resources.

Not sure how to snag what causing the issue.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

maysound silly but are the wires inside connected fully and not damaged.
    could you try a live disk such as ubunto to see if its a problem with the motherboard? if it works i would say.. its the OS.
    After ruling out the motherboard I would attempt a reinstall of Win7 if possible.

maysound silly but are the wires inside connected fully and not damaged.
    could you try a live disk such as ubunto to see if its a problem with the motherboard? if it works i would say.. its the OS.
    After ruling out the motherboard I would attempt a reinstall of Win7 if possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tried all the wiring when I took it apart to clean and all good and sound.
    I don't know why but I somehow suspect the SSD but posting here in the hope of some small free software that will identify the exact problem...

http://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php try this it will give you the HDDs health.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php try this it will give you the HDDs health.

Thanks for that, I DL it and installed, ran it and nothing happens, no GUI or interface appears, I can see it running as a process under Task Manager but nothing under application, is this correct?

• Advertisement

Nope it should give you a GUI.

Ignore the last post, PC slowed up (the general issue I had) and GUI reporting HD performance coming up now...

Ha, Sentinal froze (not responding) just as I was reading through the HD results.
    Came back a few minutes later.

All disc's came back 100% regarding performance and health but one storage drive had a comment
    "Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 8942 times."

PC cursor has now changed to that circle thingy and a few progams have stopped responding...

That HDD could be the problem. Is it the one with the OS

No, the OS is on the SSD, that drive is just used to backup media files from my HTPC - all .mkv stuff.

• Advertisement

Could still be causing the problem. try disconnect it and see if that prevents freezing

Okay then, very relaxing few days, fresh install of W7, same issue, disconnect all hard drives apart from OS drive, same issue, PC takes ages to get past those initial motherboard screens and even when installing windows it takes forever, had a lend of a hard disc and was going to do an install on W7 on it but the things dead, just my fecking luck.
    Ran memtest and the memory came back fine.
    Battle continues...

After 4 days of continuous snagging everything it turned out to be the fupping internal card reader :mad:

The one thing you never think of checking.
    At least its sorted now.

Advertisement