Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Behaviour

• 22-01-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I have searched on here and I can't find the link, but can someone link the organisation/website to find a proper dog trainer/behaviourist that uses proper training methods.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have searched on here and I can't find the link, but can someone link the organisation/website to find a proper dog trainer/behaviourist that uses proper training methods.
    Thanks

The link you're probably looking for is http://apdt.ie/.

Is it a trainer or behaviourist you need? They're not the same thing really. A trainer is grand if you want to do obedience training, leadwork etc. If you have a problem with aspects of your dogs behaviour (ie aggression) then a behaviourist will help identify the cause of the problem and work out a training solution based on their observations. A behaviourist will also always come to you, to watch your dog in his own environment. Anybody that you have to go to - isn't worth going to.

Where are you based? There's plenty on here that can give recommendations if they know whereabouts in the country you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

It's not for me. My colleague has a dog. The dog is technically the husbands but IMO the dog has never been trained properly. The dog is dirtying in the house at night. I really don't want the solution to become that the dog gets locked out, so I've suggested that the get someone to come to the house to help with this. They have two small kids and she's is very busy and never really wanted a dog anyway.
    I was trying to explain about positive reinforcement (not sure if that is the correct term). ie to go out with the dog and give her lots of praise when she goes to the toilet outside and to do it consistently, but I know she doesn't really have time and he - well I'm not sure if he has the inclination, but I thought that at least if they got someone to come to the house, it might sink in a little more and me saying it over lunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Is it just at night? What about when they leave the dog alone? And by dirtying, is the dog defecating every night or just odd nights? It's worth a vet visit to rule out illness though.
    If they don't want to get somebody in, crate training may work as dogs don't like soiling their bed. But they need to put the work into the training to acclimatise the crate rather than just lock the dog in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

But they need to put the work into the training to acclimatise the crate rather than just lock the dog in it.

I think this is the crux of the issue, she doesn't have time but still ends up doing most of what needs to be done. She has no experience with dogs and ultimately they need some one to show them how to train the dog properly.

As far as I know (and I could very well be wrong) but she hasn't been properly toilet trained, has really poor/non existent recall when off the lead, pulling when on the lead, and I imagine lots of other problems.

Like dealing with other peoples kids, there is only so much anyone else can say, she would like to get the dog trained and I think taking the dog off for classes is a bad idea, as really they need training as much as the dog.

Thanks again for the link.

Advertisement