Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collymore death tweets

• 22-01-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭

Poor Stan getting it on Twitter again.

Is he a glutton for punishment or are fans taking things too far?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Liamalone wrote: »
    Poor Stan getting it on Twitter again.

Is he a glutton for punishment or are fans taking things too far?
    I don't think he's a glutton for punishment but it's crazy how he's constantly targeted blaming twitter is a bit ridiculous though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some people who use twitter are just morons, that's all there is to it. Collymore is a bit of a twat himself on there, but obviously all the OTT abuse and threats are from cowardly morons who shouldn't be allowed to use technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

He draws a lot of it on himself engaging nobodies and he is pretty forward with his opinions as well.

He's not necessarily whiter than white either with his past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He is just looking for attention. He craves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Are the threats over anything in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

maximoose wrote: »
    Are the threats over anything in particular?

Apparently he said summat about Mr. Suarez and the penalty against Aston Villa.

He generally seems to get involved in touchy subjects frequently, either through twitter or his slot on Talksport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Twitter is for fools and ego maniacs - Collymore would do well to get off it. Its not as if he is some font of wisdom while he will always be a target for grade A ****.

If you are famous and use twitter you will most likely get abuse. It's troll heaven.

Any racist abuse can be traced back to the users I'd imagine...

If people want to abuse Collymore thre are plenty of legitimate angles to at it from rather than resort to race or death threats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's no excuse for racially motivated death threats, and anyone saying that the victim of such attacks is in some way responsible needs to have a word with themselves tbh.

It's victim blaming. The only person responsible for a racially motivated death threat - or any death threat for that matter - are the people doing the threatening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Few points:

1) Why do people send racist tweets to him? He rightly RT's to highlight them and draw attention, so its like the idiots want the attention
    2) He deliberately tries to be controversial for alot of things (which is good for his show), he also refuses to see other's point of view, he just keeps reiterating his own point over and over, to that end he's perfect for Talksport
    3) Blaming twitter is beyond ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Horrible what is happening but he needs to stop retweeting every single ****ing thing. Go through the proper channels and push and push until these people see punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's no excuse for racially motivated death threats, and anyone saying that the victim of such attacks is in some way responsible needs to have a word with themselves tbh.

It's victim blaming. The only person responsible for a racially motivated death threat - or any death threat for that matter - are the people doing the threatening.

He called the Suarez dive correctly.

Always bound to upset some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Gas how pool fans send death threats about suarez to a former pool player for calling suarez out.. im presuming its a few pool fans doing it if it is to do with suarez

Gas how pool fans send death threats about suarez to a former pool player for calling suarez out.. im presuming its a few pool fans doing it if it is to do with suarez

It's gas isn't it? Amazing that no other clubs have idiots who follow them who do stupid deplorable things on social media as well. I was wondering who'd be the first. Well done, you win the award.

5starpool wrote: »
    It's gas isn't it? Amazing that no other clubs have idiots who follow them who do stupid deplorable things on social media as well. I was wondering who'd be the first. Well done, you win the award.

Not trying to upset anyone just saying its disgusting behaviour. And obviously its a few fans not all fans

Actually my post reading it was distasteful apologies pool fans..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

+1. No excuse for the stuff he has been getting.

They're is a line very much crossed by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Ya can bate the wife, but you can't bate the craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The man is on a rampage on twitter at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

In matches, if a player celebrates in front of rival fans they risk sparking a riot. So it was clamped down on with bookings etc.

Yet Collymore invites it on himself. Nobody ....NOBODY....deserves abuse, death threats or racist nonsense. Full stop.

But he's putting a red rag to the bull. One of his tweets said:

"Nice to see so many LFC bloggers and fans giving out filthy abuse because your boy dived. Save it for him when he fcuks off in June #YNWA".

3 things with that:

1. It was in no way certain he dived. It's roughly 50-50 those who reckon he dived and those who reckon he didn't. Stan saying so doesn't mean he dived.

2. He actually used the proper F word in that tweet. There's no point moaning about abusive and foul language when you're gonna use it yourself. Even if it is only an F word, it's still ratcheting up tension.

3. The hashtag #YNWA means a lot to Liverpool fans. 96 of them died and that saying is as much to do with them these days as anything else.

To use it in a mocking way like he did, as in F you Liverpool fans, was always going to wind people up massively.

And of course being close 10pm on a saturday night with people drinking, tipsy or drunk, you throw in provocation and people are going to lose the rag.

Stan suffers from depression. I suffer from it myself. Not nice.

But he also suffers from Poor Me Syndrome.

Poor me i've only assaulted my girlfriend once and it's stained my repuation for life. It ain't fair.

Poor me i'm controversial, outspoken and a wind-up merchant but i get abuse over it.

Poor me i've got depression and that means i can hide behind that as an excuse for my behaviour.

Poor me i've got a load of grief on Twitter which i invited but its Twitters fault not mine.

He needs to man up and grow up. I've no problem with tv or radio presenters being WUM's. Adrian Durham is the same on TalkSport. But if you're going to wind people up with needless provocation late on a saturday night like he did, you've got to expect a negative reaction.

Blaming Twitter for mindless idiots rising to his provocation is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Stan Collymore seems blissfully unaware that he's Stan Collymore. The people who abused him are scum but his constant victim status is a nice rebranding for a woman-assaulting, dogging enthusiast.

3. The hashtag #YNWA means a lot to Liverpool fans

This sentence makes me sad for humanity.

"The hashtag means a lot.". Really? Really?Are you being serious here, or trying to make some kind of postmodern ironic commentary on the abuse of modern social-networking communication methods, or what?

"hashtags" mean nothing. Anyone getting offended over a hashtag really, really needs to reconsider what offence actually means.

Anyone following Collymore on twitter is either enjoying his wumming, or looking to get offended so they can somehow justify dishing out anonymous internet abuse. It's absolutely pathetic.

Of course, I'll probably get reported or called names for "having a go at the Hillsborough victims", rest assured, I'm not.

Your whole post is victim blaming.

She shouldn't have worn a short skirt and walked down a dark lane.

Nope, the rapist shouldn't have raped her.

He shouldn't have said something, that YOU admit, 50% of people also think.

Nope, racists shouldn't have threatened his life.

dogging enthusiast.

Jaysis, his sexual preferences are hardly a stick to beat him with.

I suppose everyone should just do the missionary position and think of Ireland, yeah?

Another pathetic attack on the man.

Jaysis, his sexual preferences are hardly a stick to beat him with.

I suppose everyone should just do the missionary position and think of Ireland, yeah?

Another pathetic attack on the man.

What about the other part of the sentence? Is it pathetic to point out his woman-beating? If you're Stan Collymore and act holier-than-thou and court publicity, people will bring up your past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

It seems now that Collymore and Talksport have quit twitter

ronjo wrote: »
    It seems now that Collymore and Talksport have quit twitter

The @TalkSPORT account has 497,550 followers. I give them at least two days before they start tweeting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Was it Sid Lowe who said "Give a man a mask, and he'll tell the truth. Give a man a username and he'll act like a total twat".

Collymore has been around long enough to know how the above sorts manifest their opinions on twitter. His tweet regarding Suarez was baiting these sorts.

Certainly Collymore, as with anyone, should be allowed air such views without the sort of reprisal he's been subject to, but that's not the real world.

I'm not condoning the abuse he got, but there's only certainly things in life you can control, and that doesn't encompass the actions of others. Coming out with the sort of tweet he did is only provoking these keyboard warriors into giving him abuse. The abuse is wrong, but if you don't want abuse, don't provoke these head cases.

I appreciate the analogy of the woman in the short skirt etc, and while I agree, this isn't a perfect world. You can't control other peoples actions, only your own, and through his own actions, although he certainly wasn't in the wrong, much of this could have been avoided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

"hashtags" mean nothing. Anyone getting offended over a hashtag really, really needs to reconsider what offence actually means.
    #lol

Obviously the poster doesn't mean that a hashtag means #alot, the #poster meant that the #letters YNWA mean alot to #liverpool #fans. #Duh

Collymore's a douchebag of the highest quality, he doesn't however deserve racist abuse.
    He is a woman-beating scumbag who likes to stir sh!t on his radio program and if he gets called out or too much flak he hides behind his supposed 'depression'.

Collymore blaming Twitter for not banning racist posters is like asking Google to take every single racist word off the Internet. Utter poppycock.

Talksport are a chav radio station for idiots, a reactionary bunch of no nothing has-been, mediocre ex-players or washed-up former tv presenters.

Have a listen to some of their phone-in shows, it's comical the idiots who listen to that station, lads ringing in complaing about XYZ and forgetting players'/managers' names, I reckon the vast majority of calls are completely faked to stir sh!t, like that Adrian Kennedy lad on, what was it, 98fm? I don't remember....

The Police should police the Internet, not websites or web service providers.

Talksport have zero hope of winning on this, last night I saw some retweets that Talksport were announcing that the Mata to Man United deal had been completed....from info they got off Guillem Balague's twitter! #lol

Twitter could buy the station and close it down tomorrow if they even gave a fuq enough to do it.

• Advertisement

This sentence makes me sad for humanity.

"The hashtag means a lot.". Really? Really?Are you being serious here, or trying to make some kind of postmodern ironic commentary on the abuse of modern social-networking communication methods, or what?

Anyone following Collymore on twitter is either enjoying his wumming, or looking to get offended so they can somehow justify dishing out anonymous internet abuse. It's absolutely pathetic.

Of course, I'll probably get reported or called names for "having a go at the Hillsborough victims", rest assured, I'm not.

Your whole post is victim blaming.

She shouldn't have worn a short skirt and walked down a dark lane.

Nope, the rapist shouldn't have raped her.

He shouldn't have said something, that YOU admit, 50% of people also think.

Nope, racists shouldn't have threatened his life.

Drivel.

The implication that Stan DESERVES racist abuse/death threats due to provoking people is a nonsense. I clearly stated nobody deserves that.

What i stated is provoking mindless idiots usually means you get a mindless idiot rising to it. That's as simple a logic as waving a red rag to a bull. It'll charge.

And very much like the bull, the Matador has no control over how the Bull will specifically react.

As for "victim blaming" let me fill you in with a healthy dose of irony.

Stan Collymore goes on the national media and launches a campaign against Twitter on the basis they don't do enough to protect him from racist abuse. He used the analogy:

"If i walk down the street and someone calls me the N word , i'd expect them to be arrested, so it should be no different on Twitter".

Quite right that. You can't go around slagging people off/racially abusing them on the colour of their skin. It's 2014.

But he misses a very simple premise. If someone racially abuses you on the street (after you wind them up) your only recourse is to go to the cops and report it.

I'm not quite understanding his logic. He says Twitter should do more to prevent it. That's like saying the police should personally do more to prevent mindless yobs on the street.

All Twitter can do is respond to abuse when reported. It's all the police can do as well. Retroactive.

And on to my final point on Victim Blaming:

Last night Stan wrote a series of posts lambasting The Sun newspaper and Ulrika over todays front page.

He deleted some of the Tweets (and i believe his full profile) but one of the Tweets read:

"Ulrika perpetuated the myth. The media reported it as a strong black man standing over a cowering white woman".

Hiding behind your race to somehow justify bashing a woman in public?

Having the cheek to accuse Ulrika, a victim of this assault, of perpetuating a "myth"? Given he admitted the assault?

Having the cheek to ask her to produce "forensic evidence" and "pictures" to prove the scale of the assault?

Having the cheek to say it happened in the 1990s yet isn't relevant because it's so long ago?

Tell that to the victims of Saville. Tell that to the Magdalene Laundaries. Tell that to anyone who's suffered physical or mental abuse in their childhoods.

"oh sorry it happened ages ago put a lid on it?"

The only Victim Blaming here is from Stan Collymore himself. If he has a problem with someone speaking up loud on the abuse they suffered at his hands, he should have considered that before attacking her.

Lastly, to clarify, the words "You'll Never Walk Alone" are sung by Liverpool fans as much in recognition of the bond they share as fans, and particularly empathising with the families of the 96. It's quite a lovely thought really. When you're lonely, grieving , despairing even 25 years later, to hear those words and think "ya know what, people do care".

It shouldn't be used as a wind-up tool. It often is. Either way a professional broadcaster and former Liverpool player shouldnt be using it as a wind-up tool.

He's a total hypocrite plain and simple. Wants his voice heard on the racism issue yet wants her voice stifled on the abuse she suffered at his hands.

A man who beats his missus is a coward.

He'll not get much sympathy of anybody and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Poor Stan has turned out to be a strange fish indeed .:eek:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A man who beats his missus is a coward.

He'll not get much sympathy of anybody and rightly so.

He will not get sympathy for being racially abused?? Are you for real? So do you think its ok to call someone a n####r or abuse someone cos they have a different colour skin than you? Honestly how anyone deserves to be racially abused or given death threats for calling suarez out for diving sickens me..

but yes i agree a coward he is for hitting his missus but judging him on sexual orientation aswell in this thread? Lots of horrible attitudes being shown

What is this world coming to ****ing disgusting behaviour.

The analogy that if someone abuses him on the street he'd expect them to get arrested is actually an analogy that works against him.

The owner of the street isn't responsible it's up to the authorities which he has to report the abuse to.

He will not get sympathy for being racially abused?? Are you for real? So do you think its ok to call someone a n####r or abuse someone cos they have a different colour skin than you? Honestly how anyone deserves to be racially abused or given death threats for calling suarez out for diving sickens me..

but yes i agree a coward he is for hitting his missus but judging him on sexual orientation aswell in this thread? Lots of horrible attitudes being shown

In fairness he never said anything like that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You appear to be arguing against a point that wasn't made.

The post you quoted didn't sympathise with Collymore. That's not the same as condoning or justifying the abuse

+1

There's a difference between finding racism appalling and actually having sympathy and empathy for the man.

Incidentally it's against the law to retweet racist abuse which Stan did himself.

Point being, if you suffer from racist abuse and horrible foul language, it's not right that you subject others to the same language by retweeting it.

Anyway, TalkSport have scored a massive own-goal on this issue by taking on Twitter (i.e. blaming Twitter) when their own man is on the front page of the National news today being called out on his hypocrisy and abusiveness.

I didnt say he did i asked a question....

Climb down from that large horse. I said nothing of the sort

I already said the guys who racially abused him will be probably tracked down and rightly so.

If you bothered reading the thread before jumping into a two footed tackle...

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Climb down from that large horse. I said nothing of the sort

I already said the guys who racially abused him will be probably tracked down and rightly so.

If you bothered reading the thread before jumping into a two footed tackle...
    It is you on a large horse....

yes collymore has issues and a nasty temper judging by his missus but you state he deserves no sympathy? Yes he does deserve sympathy whether he was acting the beep in general or not the man was racially abused and threatened by a group that should hang there heads..

rarnes i have several friends that are black, mixed race and i can tell you now it sickens me seeing racism.. small minded people is what those that abused or threatened him are..

By right collymore needs to oust them to police and send a message to all. It is racism being shown like this that has this country and the UK stuck years behind even with the amount of ethnic groups living here.

My only issue was you stating he deserved no sympathy YES HE DOES regardless of his aggression towards his missus or the fact he is into dogging....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

It is you on a large horse....

yes collymore has issues and a nasty temper judging by his missus but you state he deserves no sympathy? Yes he does deserve sympathy whether he was acting the beep in general or not the man was racially abused and threatened by a group that should hang there heads..

rarnes i have several friends that are black, mixed race and i can tell you now it sickens me seeing racism.. small minded people is what those that abused or threatened him are..

By right collymore needs to oust them to police and send a message to all. It is racism being shown like this that has this country and the UK stuck years behind even with the amount of ethnic groups living here.

My only issue was you stating he deserved no sympathy YES HE DOES regardless of his aggression towards his missus or the fact he is into dogging....
    I don't know why, but the bit in bold made me laugh, no offence chief. :)

My only issue was you stating he deserved no sympathy

I never said this at all so stop accusing of saying things I didn't.

Again you failed to read my post.

Funniest debate I've ever had with someone on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

True that . It's amazing what some people will make or do with other people's posts .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Liamalone wrote: »
    Apparently he said summat about Mr. Suarez and the penalty against Aston Villa.

He generally seems to get involved in touchy subjects frequently, either through twitter or his slot on Talksport.

that explains the racist deaththreats.

you saw what their reaction was to evra.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Surely this whole thread can be summarised as follows:

Neither being racist or being Stan Collymore is anything to be particularly proud of?

He's just been re-tweeted onto my stream I see his I'm off until Twitter do something strop ended fairly quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He's just been re-tweeted onto my stream I see his I'm off until Twitter do something strop ended fairly quickly.

What?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

What?????

Translation:

He's just been re-tweeted onto my stream. I see his "I'm off until Twitter do something" strop ended fairly quickly.

Advertisement