Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Register and insure two cars

Options
  • 22-01-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys a question about registration and insurance for ye..

Can a person have more than one car registered in their name?

And also can the two separate cars then be insured by different insurance companies? Or would they need to be under the same policy with one insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes you can have as many cars as you like registered to you. And you can insure them all with different insurance companies. Some insurance companies offer additional discount if you take multicar policies with then so make sure to enquire around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

You can have as many cars registered in your name as you want. ;)

AFAIK there's no restrictions regarding insurance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Many insurance companies won't mirror your NCB on more than one policy so on the second car you will have no NCB discount. But it is worth ringing around because you can get mirrored policies, they are just not very easy to come by. I myself have a mirrored policy on two cars with AA but I had a tough job negotiating it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have three cars registered and insured against my name. Two are on the one policy. I got my NCB mirrored at policy inception, but cant "build up" an NCB with the other two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tcurry28

Great, thanks :)

Also, if a claim was made on the second insurance, would the no claims bonus be effected on the first insurance? Or is that only if the policy is mirrored? In other words, if the policy isn't mirrored, would you have two sets of no claims bonuses? Different no claims bonuses for each car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

tcurry28 wrote: »
    Great, thanks :)

Also, if a claim was made on the second insurance, would the no claims bonus be effected on the first insurance? Or is that only if the policy is mirrored? In other words, if the policy isn't mirrored, would you have two sets of no claims bonuses? Different no claims bonuses for each car?

If the policies are not mirrored then you would have seperate NCB. I dont think one is affected if you claim off the other, however you would need to declare the claim to both insurers, and as such both policies would be affected that way.

So by applying for the second policy, could I use my already acquired 5 years NCB from the first policy? Or will I essentially have to start from scratch with the second policy and get a quote with no NCB?

You start from scratch. What you are describing of each having a NCB is what a mirrored policy is.

So by applying for the second policy, could I use my already acquired 5 years NCB from the first policy? Or will I essentially have to start from scratch with the second policy and get a quote with no NCB?

Depends on the insurer. Some will take the NCB into account, others wont.

You start from scratch. What you are describing of each having a NCB is what a mirrored policy is.

• Advertisement

Can anybody suggest insurers that will offer a mirrored policy?

Can anybody suggest insurers that will offer a mirrored policy?

I have mine with AA

Setanta used to offer mirrored policies as well I think.

I have mine with AA

Was it difficult to get the mirror policy with them or were they ok about it?

Was it difficult to get the mirror policy with them or were they ok about it?

I got it about 4 years ago and have had to just renew to keep it. It took a good bit of negotiating and ringing and few times to get an agreeable agent. A few times since they have tried to change the policy to get rid of the mirroring but I have managed to get them to continue honoring the original terms of the policy. It means it is harder to shop around but generally AA have always been very competitive with me and matched or close to matched any better quote I got elsewhere so I have been happy enough to stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

djimi wrote: »
    Setanta used to offer mirrored policies as well I think.

I can confirm that, i got a second car insured with them in 2011 & started out with a 3 year NCB.
    I had a full NCB on my other car at the time. Now i have 2 cars insured with separate full NCB's

Advertisement