Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful!! New Cork Prison to be 5-star Luxury!

Options
  • 22-01-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Construction of the new 5-star jail to replace Cork Prison is due to commence on Monday and will be completed by the end of next year, Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has said. At a construction cost of €350 million, it will be the most expensive prison in the world when completed.

http://www.theholyharp.com/construction-begins-on-new-5-star-luxury-prison-in-cork/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

:P

Well, you can't expect any jailed bankers/developers to slum it in normal jails, now do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Will it have a Subway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

If it's written on "The Holy Harp" website it must be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

In case anyone doesn't realise this is a piss take . and the real cost is €35 million

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

In case anyone doesn't realise this is a piss take . and the real cost is €35 million

Yep, €35 million and the cells will each hold two prisoners which is the real disgrace. A newly built prison should be one prisoner per cell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

BULLER wrote: »
    said the new facilities at the Cork prison will also include a rooftop bar, together with a space-age heated infinity pool.

I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I was impressed with the quality of the rendered image, for a piss-take.. but it's actually a real building proposal in India with the Elysian photoshopped in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

tracert wrote: »
    Yep, €35 million and the cells will each hold two prisoners which is the real disgrace. A newly built prison should be one prisoner per cell.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

bumper234 wrote: »
    Why?

easier to control the prisoners from a guards point of view. I think it might also cut down on trading contraband.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Plenty of good people make mistakes and end up in cork prison and the conditions are just disgraceful. Overcrowded and living squalor, the safety of prisoners is a real issue there too. Lad I know just got out early after 2 years and its a hell hole by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Surely in the prison-builing business, the luxury one is just the entry level option. You have to pay big dollars for the imprisontron6000, that comes with spikes on the walls and only PS3s in the cells, probably cost 350 millions or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

where is the prison exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Rathmore road new one being built alongside old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I live a stone's throw away. Awful kip. This isn't Uruguay. A prison can still be a punitive place while not being a dump. If anything wouldn't a better-standard prison be easier to run, and in terms of security, etc? Plus, it would improve the streetscape, which is absolutely grim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Looks like micheal martin is planning for hes future comfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Has the OP taken leave of his senses?
    How could anyone possibly read that article and take it as fact??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I would love to put up a sign at the prison car park.

"LONG TERM CAR PARK"
    5 years Minimum

But I'd proberly get locked up.

Advertisement