Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Life after Fibre Provision in Tramore

Options
  • 22-01-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I know the ongoing debate regarding fibre provision in Tramore is a hot topic at the moment but I am wondering will it be possible to have an alternative to Sky once fibre is rolled out in the town.

Will it be possible for UPC to be able to offer such things as their Horizon package etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

This is the only one that i know of:

https://www.eircom.net/tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gary_walsh17

scout353 wrote: »
    I know the ongoing debate regarding fibre provision in Tramore is a hot topic at the moment but I am wondering will it be possible to have an alternative to Sky once fibre is rolled out in the town.

Will it be possible for UPC to be able to offer such things as their Horizon package etc?

No. UPC use a separate system of lines which are entirely private. UPC can offer a basic TV service in Tramore but in order to offer Horizon it would involve a node being built in Tramore and lines laid into every house and along every street (extremely disruptive, expensive and highly unlikely). Eircom eVision is the only fibre powered alternate unless the like of Vodafone feel they want to offer a service down the line.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eircom are the only people, at present, offering TV across fibre.

Sky are via satellite.

UPC are via their own independent fibre network which isn't and probably never will be, in Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

But if the fibre delivery system is going to be there can UPC not offer their service through the eircom fibre network if they were allowed to purchase access to it??

I know I'm grasping at straws but was hoping for an alternative to Sky with as much choice! I know there is the option of FTA/FTV systems but in reality the only serious competition to SKY is UPC!

It will be interesting to see the offering from eircom on their fibre TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

But if the fibre delivery system is going to be there can UPC not offer their service through the eircom fibre network if they were allowed to purchase access to it??

I know I'm grasping at straws but was hoping for an alternative to Sky with as much choice! I know there is the option of FTA/FTV systems but in reality the only serious competition to SKY is UPC!

Unless UPC invest in their own network in Tramore (they won't) then you won't get UPC cable. Not going to happen unfortunately.

You can check the eircom offering online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why would UPC want to use eircom's network? The speeds are slower and the infrastructure is different. UPC have a target market and Tramore isn't in their scope.

eircom's evision is very basic at the moment. It's a small upgrade from Saorview. Whether they intend to really take on Sky & UPC for TV remains to be seen. But I can't see them expanding their lineup and box services much in the short to medium term. There is a lot of catching up to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

Sully wrote: »
    eircom's evision is very basic at the moment. It's a small upgrade from Saorview. Whether they intend to really take on Sky & UPC for TV remains to be seen. But I can't see them expanding their lineup and box services much in the short to medium term. There is a lot of catching up to do!

I can't remember where I saw it but there was some article which stated eVision is supposed to be a competitor to Sky and UPC but there has been issues getting a contract with sky to broadcast their channels on eVision.
    I think its a case of when your competitor need your help to offer a cheaper service, you don't help

I can't remember where I saw it but there was some article which stated eVision is supposed to be a competitor to Sky and UPC but there has been issues getting a contract with sky to broadcast their channels on eVision.
    I think its a case of when your competitor need your help to offer a cheaper service, you don't help

Who knows what the reasons are, could even be a price issue for all we know. The TV market is unregulated over here. :)

Advertisement