Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia, should I go or stay?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SeanSSS

True but its good to hear others experience of moving etc helps weigh it all up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Just do it do it do it. Experience the world. Broaden your horizons.

Who cares if you end up coming back because you don't like it or couldn't find work.

Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with that niggling little 'What If' voice in the back of your head, wondering what could have been? Nah!!!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

SamAK wrote: »
    Just do it do it do it. Experience the world. Broaden your horizons.

Who cares if you end up coming back because you don't like it or couldn't find work.

Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with that niggling little 'What If' voice in the back of your head, wondering what could have been? Nah!!!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Are you high?

danotroy wrote: »
    Are you high?

What on earth made you think that?

What on earth made you think that?

Probably because you just rattled off a load of overused cliches about 'live your dream', 'live life to the max' etc that don't necessarily have any bearing on the reality of peoples lives.

That niggling feeling your talking about could be applied to any decision you make depending on whether things work out for the decision you made. I'm sure a lot of immigrants have a niggling feeling "maybe I should have tried developing my life at home etc" There's more to living a rich life than just buying a plane ticket to somewhere else.

Not trying to be negative but I think its more constructive to talk about the realities and myths about emigrating and travelling, good and bad rather than rattling off a load of hackneyed rubbish.

• Advertisement

SeanSSS wrote: »
    I have been thinking of going down under for quite a while, but I can't decide if I just want to go because everyone keeps going on about it, or that I actually want to go!

Could someone please be honest about their experiences there?

Are there good opportunities in areas that are not construction etc?

Is it tough to get on your feet when you arrive?

Is it that great a place to potentially damage your career prospects for what may end up a extended holiday?

Is it that good that you could throw away a chance at developing your passion into something you are proud of?

What did you like/dislike about the place?

I would like to hear anyone's experiences of being over there in a similar situation?

Cheers!

The honest answer is that you can sit here and ask 'reality' questions all day but you're not going to learn a damn thing from everyone else's personal experience. Your experience will be a unique one. So someone went down there and found that there was no 'good opportunity' in areas that are not construction? Does that mean that it's gonna be the same for you? No. And the same goes for the rest of your concerns. I gave you my perspective, and you threw it back in my face.

You think anyone can 100% sum up the experience of travelling to a different country here on an internet forum? No. But that's what you seem to want. Your questions are extremely broad, and vague. And none are answerable, because every person's experience is unique.

You MIGHT not find a good job opportunity. You MIGHT not find it easy to get on your feel when you arrive. You MIGHT not damage your career prospects for what may end up an extended holiday. But at least you'll know, because you did it yourself. Might, maybe, possibly, perhaps, what if.

But by all means focus on the negatives and not the positives, if you like. Renew your contract, sit in London and daydream forever, if you like. Or, as you said yourself, take the plunge and find out first hand, and don't take a bunch of opinions from anonymous people on the internet as some sort of crystal ball analysis.

SeanSSS wrote: »
    Probably because you just rattled off a load of overused cliches about 'live your dream', 'live life to the max' etc that don't necessarily have any bearing on the reality of peoples lives.

Not trying to be negative but I think its more constructive to talk about the realities and myths about emigrating and travelling, good and bad rather than rattling off a load of hackneyed rubbish.

Not trying to be negative but.....definitely being negative.

That bolded bit at the bottom of my post was a quote, a very well known one. Something wrong with taking inspiration from a quote is there?

Here's another one -

Before enlightenment - Chop wood, carry water.

After enlightenment - Chop wood, carry water.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

I am well aware it is up to me to find out but the reason I started this thread is to get a realistic viewpoint of living there without rose-tinted glasses. That is why your comment annoyed me because it seemed like a throw-away reply but if it genuinely was that positive a experience for you then I am happy for you but from my experience a lot of people tend to exaggerate their experiences as positive ones no matter what, as some kind of social posturing which unfortunately travelling and living abroad seems to be about for a lot of people of my generation....

I would say later in the year I probably will try out Melbourne depending on what happens with my music project but the more I think of it I can't see myself living so far away for an extended period of time, bit of a home bird I reckon when it comes down to it...If I do go I may have regrets about not seeing the music project to fruition, If I stay I may regret missing out on a fresh and exciting experience with some friends in Melbourne...such is life....don't make me quote Robert Frost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

@SeanSSS

You're involved in a musical project in Ireland right? I've been there, really really wanted to go to Aus but stuck it out for a musical project which didn't end well. I missed out on the WHV. In hindsight, maybe I should have gone to Aus, and jacked in the music, but at the same time, everything that has happened since then has me in a good place now, so I won't say I'll regret anything. I could have been in a job I hated in Aus.

I did get to go to Aus but only for about 2.5 months.

If your gut is telling you to travel, that's not going to go away, and there's a certain amount of waiting around for things to happen when it comes to music. Again, I've been there, twice. But it's only for you to decide. I know the travel bug will not leave you. Is there anyway you could take a time out from the music and come back to it sometime? Could you take the musical project on the road with you to Aus?

Do you feel that if you go now, you'll be letting others down? Maybe set some goals about what you want the music to do this year, and if it doesn't work out, go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The honest answer is that ......

.......After enlightenment - Chop wood, carry water.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Long story short....YOLO:pac::pac::pac::pac:

On a more serious note, The chances of this musical collaboration or whatever it is working out and being a great success story.....look a the odds of making it (or even making some reasonable money) in that industry. IF you are doing that for the love of it, or as your major artistic outlet, then you've got to put your own value on it, but if it is even a remotely financial decision, you must have rocks in your head. Success rates are low, the industry is paying less than ever unless you want to relentlessly tour and promote just to put bread on the table. (Or sell out to the Pop brigade, if you are that marketable, but if thats the case, stop pretending its music, or art)

On the other hand, you will definitely run out of time on the WHV, there is no real second chance there, this forum is littered with, "so I'm 32 and want to go to Oz" threads, and the only way is to from then on, is to go on a 3 month holiday and have enough cash for such.
    I would recommend you do some more research on what you want to do in Australia, form some sort of a plan for where you want to go, cost it out, then if its workable, get your visa, save some cash and go for it.

It probably won't go to plan, and won't be anything like you expected, so take it a a challenge, chase the opportunities for work (follow up on resumes and job applications) say YES and have fun !

At worst, it will be 6-8 months of meeting new interesting people, seeing new places and learning a bit more about yourself

Angryhippie making sense.

I was one of those who applied for the WHV at 31, was involved in music, and never used it. I probably should have gone for the year, but at the same time, things happened here in other areas that I am glad of, so I can't really moan.

But, the travel bug is still there with me, so much so, I quit playing in "bands", and will only put myself down as a "hired hand" now,and break even!!

Why not chance your arm with the music in Aus for a year. No better place than Melbourne or Sydney or wherever.

Sounds like you're kind of burned out and considering your options? If you really wanted to stick it out, you would? One of my main gripes with music down the years was I loved to travel, and though music would be my way of doing both at once - playing and travelling.

I love music, but sacrificed lots of potential travel opportunities which I am kind of bitter about. I should be a world class surfer now!! lol. So many times I spent the weekends recovering from late night gigs, I missed out on trips away and going down to the sea.

Off topic, but I think you should make a plan, and stick with it. Come up with a deadline. If you're thinking about Aus, at the very least go over on a 3 month holiday. Get it out of the system.

I'd be looking at coming over to Aus and gettign stuck into the music scene if I were you. The change of scene could be good for the year or two and who knows what could happen....

At the same time, if music is your passion, Australia isn't the be all and end all. There are loads of other places you can go to. Music has given me some fantastic experiences I wouldn't have gotten if I went to Aus when I had the WHV. But it hasn't given me lots of groupies.

I know the feeling!!! Original music is sometimes a hard thing to explain to folk as to why we do it and get no money in return.

• Advertisement

Interesting that the topic should come around to music. I went down to NNSW and by sheer chance ended up living and working with a guy who had his own lighting/event production company.

Thus, I worked at a load of amazing gigs, music festivals big and small, bush raves, weddings....and everything in between. I got exposed to music in a way I never had before. Since I came home, i've embarked on a personal mission to learn as much as I could about music related stuff.

I've learned so much, and the catalyst that sparked this passion was my decision to go to Australia. Once there, I was like a dead fish - I just went with the flow. And I ended up leaving the big cities, and landed down in NSW with some amazingly wacky people that showed me the way.

Like the last line of AngryHippie's post - At worst, it will be 6-8 months of meeting new interesting people, seeing new places and learning a bit more about yourself

Nothing could be more true. That's exactly what happened to me. Being so far out of your comfort zone really is character building. I used to be a useless layabout recluse with zero confidence who smoked far too much weed. I never went out, I didn't have a dang clue what I was doing or where I was going with life.

Going to Aus, in that respect, was the best thing I could have done. I came back a different person. And before you say it, no....this is not some 'rose tinted glasses' recollection.

Now, i'm working at getting some qualifications, and seeing as radio is a big industry in Oz, that's what i've been studying, alongside music production and related stuff.
    I want to go back down under with something on my C.V, something that could get me sponsored by an employer and possibly lead to some sort of long term visa. That is the dream, anyway. I loved the pace of life down there. I loved how something simple like good weather can make it so much easier to get out of bed in the morning.

So I discovered music down there, and brought that passion home. I just have to build on it now, so I can go back, earn a few quid and get myself a little house in the rain-forest somewhere, preferably a ten minute drive from the Pacific.....there's nothing like a swim in the ocean to cool you off after a long blue-sky day :D

Just go down there, even for just a month on a tourist visa, so you have the option of getting your first W.H.V if you want to stay longer. It might be the best think you ever did, and if not, well...you get a tan and a bit of experience, and you can come home again. No problem.

I don't think I could ever live in the city down there though.....I was in Brisbane for a while and for me it was....unremarkable. Not sure about Melbs or Sydney, didn't make it there...I much preferred the small town vibes of the regional areas, only an hour or so south of Brissy..

So, there's my opinion. Just watch out for the brown snakes!

Good post SamAK. I was only there a short while, but I did latch on to a really nice musical vibe in Fremantle. But again, I was only there for a short while.

Have you heard of a guy called Ash Grunwald? He has some road trip videos of himself online where he basically went on tour around Aus, and surfed during the day. Now, THAT is the life!

But regardless of what people in London might tell the OP, there's a lot of music going on in Aus. Lots of good bands there.

Freo, near Perth? Long way from the east coast!!

Yeah heard of Grunwald, not familiar with the vids though......

....hang on......*runs to wall and checks poster*.....

...yeah, I was working at Bluesfest 2011 (Byron Bay) and Ash played there, can't remember if I caught him though (so many acts playing!). I saw feckin B.B King LIVE!!! What an experience.

As regards music, I think there's plenty going on, you just have to scout around. It'll find you in the end. There are musicians all over the world. In Byron, loads of drummers used to turn up to the beach just before sundown and have a good old rhythm session. Loads of backpackers there though, not a bad thing per se but I wasn't really one of them :)

One thing I will say about Straya - sometimes, in some places, you'd find more culture in a lump of mouldy cheese. It's a relatively young place (colonization wise)....I almost forgot what a church looked like when I was there....so few old buildings like we're used to at home!

Just got my external hard-drive out and am looking back through photos......oh how I miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I'd believe people were going more out of their comfort zone if they emigrated to a non English speaking country.

OP you already have left Ireland and are living in one of the few World Cities. Australia is parochial by comparison, you will find plenty of Aussies pursuing a career in the UK. I personally didn't like London when I was there but for a music career it's pretty much the place to be. Perth isn't.

If it's just better weather you're looking for, what about Italy, France, or Germany. I know they would be cold in winter, but get better springs and summers.

Berlin for example.

seachto7 wrote: »
    @SeanSSS

You're involved in a musical project in Ireland right? I've been there, really really wanted to go to Aus but stuck it out for a musical project which didn't end well. I missed out on the WHV. In hindsight, maybe I should have gone to Aus, and jacked in the music, but at the same time, everything that has happened since then has me in a good place now, so I won't say I'll regret anything. I could have been in a job I hated in Aus.

I did get to go to Aus but only for about 2.5 months.

If your gut is telling you to travel, that's not going to go away, and there's a certain amount of waiting around for things to happen when it comes to music. Again, I've been there, twice. But it's only for you to decide. I know the travel bug will not leave you. Is there anyway you could take a time out from the music and come back to it sometime? Could you take the musical project on the road with you to Aus?

Do you feel that if you go now, you'll be letting others down? Maybe set some goals about what you want the music to do this year, and if it doesn't work out, go.

That describes my situation pretty much! I have been waiting around for some music projects to go somewhere and never did, and now I am involved in something that seems it can develop into something I can be really proud of (not necessarily financial) but it is also coming up to the perfect time for me to do the WHV if I am going to do it ie I'm 29, been in London for 3 years working on my career etc, my contract will be finishing in a few months and I have friends in Melbourne who will be there until the end of this year. It so typical that everything happens at once!

The only reason for me to stay in London now is to see out the music project to fruition but I am also kinda sick of London and dying for a change....I think you are right I should give it a couple of months and I will have a better idea of where this project is going...

I agree with you as regard the 'music dream', a lot of waiting around and it I don't want to miss out on other life experiences for something that as you said may end badly or not go anywhere. I love music and want to make this EP/Album work and not for the money but if it goes tits up then I'd feel like a clown for missing out on other things.

Best thing would be to finish it before I go in a few months which is unlikely or go in april until the end of the year and come back christmas and pick it up next year though can't expect the rest of the guys to wait around for me!! Strange how dreams seem to hold you back from living sometimes!!

Now you said it. I held back on the travelling for the best part of 10 years because I was involved in various musical projects, all of which had potential, but some of them crashed and burned.

There were stages during them that I was very very unhappy, not because I didn't like playing music, but I knew I could be out seeing the world, and would definitely have done the whole WHV thing.

At the same time, I loved playing music, so stuck it out for that. However, eventually, the travel bug rears its head again. I was also playing with guys who didn't want to go travelling or had no interest at the time, which meant I didn't really confide in them, when I should have. I should have gone to Aus when it presented itself way back, but to be honest, I don't have any major regrets. I do wonder what path my life could have taken if I did go. Would I still be there? Who knows.

My feeling was that, with music, you were nearly placing your destiny in someone else's hands. As in, a publishing company or promoter would come in, put you on a high profile bill, and then things would get better and I'd feel happier. If you want to stick at an artistic project, you have to sacrifice things like travel and the the likes, but if the music pays off, the benefits are better than any job could ever offer, so it's worth sticking it out for that.

However, the motives should not be financial now. Even if you get signed etc, the odds of making any money for a few years are slim, so I think you need to be enjoying the other parts of your life. That was my mistake.

I suppose it's going to come to a stage where you'll have to make a call. If it were me, and hindsight is always a great thing, I would have a meeting with the lads you're playing with, and tell them you would really like to travel. They could throw the toys out of the pram and throw you out. So be it. They might not, but the important thing is to not feel like you should accommodate them. That was another mistake I made, I felt like I'd be letting everyone down if I left. Whereas in the long run, you need to put you first.

But set some deadlines, and either make them public or stick to them yourself. I'd tell the guys you're feeling a bit burned out with London. Throw it out there, and see what they say.

Australia could be a great place for you to try something new, and meet new musicians etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

Stay where you are. And if you are coming over dont come to Perth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Stay where you are. And if you are coming over dont come to Perth
    I have 21 points on my license, I got banned off the road for 6 months but I am on a good behaviour period of a year since last May, so cant get any points for a year or I'll be banned for a year then. I got the points for drink driving, speeding, going through red lights etc...

No offence intended, I haven't lived in Perth (partly due to wanting to avoid all the Irish) but considering that above quote I personally would take your opinion on Australia with a pinch of salt!

Advertisement