Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good value wheelset.

• 22-01-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people would recommend as a good value wheelset? Planning on doing some club racing along with some A4 open races if possible.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm hoping to go with these in the next couple of months

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPX52CCL/planet-x-52mm-carbon-clincher-wheelset

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Campagnolo Khamsin or Mavic Aksium are both great value in my book. Have had Khamsins for a three years and only started to need some maintenance this winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Campagnolo Khamsin or Mavic Aksium are both great value in my book. Have had Khamsins for a three years and only started to need some maintenance this winter.

I have the Aksiums. They'll be winter wheels and the plant x summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

marathonic wrote: »

Would the above be better than the 2012 mavic ksyrium elites?

I'm think along the same lines as wirelessdude01 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just wondering what people would recommend as a good value wheelset? Planning on doing some club racing along with some A4 open races if possible.

What's your budget exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    What's your budget exactly?

Good question. I'm not 100% sure yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

godtabh wrote: »
    I have the Aksiums. They'll be winter wheels and the plant x summer

I use Khamsin as my training wheels too but I'd happily race on them all year if I was on a budget. OP indicated he was looking for a value wheelset, which is why I recommended them.

Good question. I'm not 100% sure yet.

Nothing wrong with the Askiums like people have said..

though you could always go for a handbuilt set of wheels, Mavic Open Pro's on Ambrosio hubs from the LBS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k632/a78814/zonda-clincher-wheel-set-black-campagnolo.html

Campy Zonda's are brilliant wheels, well worth the money. Another €20 for Shimano version. Raced A4 last year with them, still in perfect nic.

• Advertisement

Would.carbon clinchers survive around Ireland for.someone 90kg plus?

zipp carbon have a 110kg limit, not sure about others, would image around the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You can let us know when you buy them.

Some one mentioned it to be else where. I think it was a subtle way of saying I'm a fat bastard!

I really like the Planet X wheels but have an eye on some Mavis as well

All-carbon, or alloy-rimmed?

All-carbon, or alloy-rimmed?

Aluminium side walls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Aluminium side walls

Probably the same story as cosmic sl's....aluminium rim with carbon fairing bonded on....I'd choose zondas or ksyrium elites over them any day of the week

colm_gti wrote: »
    Probably the same story as cosmic sl's....aluminium rim with carbon fairing bonded on....I'd choose zondas or ksyrium elites over them any day of the week

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Why?

Because they're lighter and from what I hear very stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

Some one mentioned it to be else where. I think it was a subtle way of saying I'm a fat bastard!

I really like the Planet X wheels but have an eye on some Mavis as well

Let us know how you get on with Mavis!

• Advertisement

Aluminium side walls

I'd certain pick them over all-carbon jobbies. Mavics in particular appear quite robust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭cyfac

Check out www.swissside.com

I've got both their Heidi and franc wheelsets I've several K up on both sets fantastic wheels super ceramic hubs hand built their a class outfit check them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

2012 model if that doesn't bother you
    http://jedi-sports.de/Wheelsets/Wheelsets-Road/Campagnolo-Zonda-2012::2173.html

€260 plus shipping

ford2600 wrote: »
    2012 model if that doesn't bother you
    http://jedi-sports.de/Wheelsets/Wheelsets-Road/Campagnolo-Zonda-2012::2173.html

€260 plus shipping

Just bought them. Cheers

Just bought them. Cheers

I ordered them a few days ago as well. Many thanks to ford2600 for the link.

I ordered them a few days ago as well. Many thanks to ford2600 for the link.

Have you got them yet?

Have you got them yet?

Not yet. Hopefully before the end of the week.

I've got confirmation of payment but nothing else as of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Great wheels, and a great price. Bombproof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Write us a little review after first ride on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Got the zonda's my self just two months ago. Find them good. But have not clocked up much miles in them.

Advertisement