Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornbeam

• 22-01-2014 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi
    My hornbeam isn't doing very well planted it last year and I think the problem may be that I didn't cut it back when planting.. Can I do it now or will I wate till June to prune back. It's only 3ft now but not spreading, how much should I prune by???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

I would say its more than likely the site where its planted, whats the soil like? is it well drained? full sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

Its heavy soil, in fully sun and garden is wet this time of year but very dry in summer, What type of fertilizer should i put on (10-10-20)??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

To spread it needs to be cut back, I'd do it now myself.

How far apart are they planted?

Spaced 18", how much should i prune by?? so Prune now and again in June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they were only planted last summer its a bit early to be worrying about them not spreading. Trimming them depends a bit on how big they are, but I think just taking off the last couple of inches of leading branches would be enough at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Anita B Jaynow

bazmc35 wrote: »
    Hi
    My hornbeam isn't doing very well planted it last year and I think the problem may be that I didn't cut it back when planting.. Can I do it now or will I wate till June to prune back. It's only 3ft now but not spreading, how much should I prune by???
    Stick up a picture when you get a chance, they're not meant to be doing anything this time of year anyway, so they could be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Now is the ideal time to cut it, the first winter (non growing period) after planting (Assuming you didn't plant it last November/December).

I have mine 12" apart, but I don't think 18" is necessarily to far apart.

I'd deffo top them and keep cutting them back each January/February for the next few years.

Mine are down 6 or 7 years now and I still keep them cut to the height of the top of the fence (about 4 feet).

Thanks for the info what type of fertilizer should i use and when?  this picture was taken in the summerIMG_0075_zps3fd6ebf8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I would think you need to nip the leaders out of those, (the single long stem at the top). There is plenty of potential growth lower down that would be encouraged if all the growing were not going into the top. That very tall one I would bring down to the level of the others. I personally would not feed them at the moment, but I don't believe in feeding trees and hedges so that is just my opinion.

Advertisement