Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating Steel Beams

Options
  • 22-01-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I’m planning work on a renovation project for an old mill to turn it into a residence. The living area will be on the top floor which is supported by existing steel beams which go into the 600mm thick stone walls. Bedrooms will be on the floor below. There will be natural breathable internal insulation so the walls will be cold. I am concerned that the steel beams in the floor/ceiling will act as thermal bridges and conduct heat away from the living areas.
    A solution would be to cover the beams with insulation. Due to restricted head heights, the floor cannot be raised, so the only feasible insulation would be something very thin like Spacetherm. Insulating them would result in the beams being colder which brings another concern that any moisture coming near them would condense and lead to corrosion. Would I be better to let the beams take some heat and warm slightly to reduce the risk of condensation? If anyone has any experience or suggestions, they would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Martin440 wrote: »
    I’m planning work on a renovation project for an old mill to turn it into a residence. The living area will be on the top floor which is supported by existing steel beams which go into the 600mm thick stone walls.....I am concerned that the steel beams in the floor/ceiling will act as thermal bridges and conduct heat away from the living areas....
    http://www.schoeck.co.uk/en_gb/solutions-uk/concrete-to-steel-11

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Martin440

thanks Bryan, but my beams are already there, they are RSJs that are already supporting the floor, not reinforcing bars. The solution you suggested would avoid thermal bridging in a new build which has reinforcing bars in concrete. Other ideas welcome.

in the OP you didn't explain the that
    beams are already there,
    its a bit late to be considering the thermal effects now so..
    they are RSJs that are already supporting the floor, not reinforcing bars.
    there are alternative products to suit this, if they weren't insitu that is..
    The solution you suggested would avoid thermal bridging in a new build
    or retro-fit if your architect/eng had considered thermal bridging before installing the steels.

next option externally insulate

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Martin440

Hi Brian, maybe I didn't make it clear, but this is a renovation of an existing building and the steels were in place before we started. Also, it's a registered Protected Structure and as a result external insulation isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi Brian, maybe I didn't make it clear, but this is a renovation of an existing building and the steels were in place before we started. Also, it's a registered Protected Structure and as a result external insulation isn't an option.

I think he meant enternal insulating of the steel beams being the next option given that they are all ready in place.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    I think he meant enternal insulating of the steel beams being the next option given that they are all ready in place.
    no he didn't, at the time the OP hadn't outlined why EWI was not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

BryanF wrote: »
    no he didn't, at the time the OP hadn't outlined why EWI was not an option

Apologies so! Misinterpreted.

Advertisement