Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop PC faulty - how many times?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I bought an Asus i7 desktop PC from PC World just before xmas last year.

I have come to the conclusion that it is faulty both by testing it on three brand new monitors (the pc has a graphics chip issue with displaying videos/playing dvds - vertical white lines going down side of screen when on videos) and also chatting on phone to pc world technical support.

the pc has a one year warranty included.

I am bringing it to pc world today, they will send it to asus to be repaired.

I am just wondering, in the event that it comes back 'repaired' but still has the issue, can i expect a replacement/store credit to buy another computer? the guy on the pc world tech support told me they can choose to send it away several times before allowing replace or refund - surely this isn't the case?

thanks all!

Sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Irish consumer law:
    Any attempted repairs must be permanent

They only get one chance. You could need to take them the small claims court to get that.

Other than being known for the <SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

GarIT wrote: »
    Irish consumer law:

They only get one chance. You could need to take them the small claims court to get that.

Other than being known for <SNIP>

Any if the first repair turns out to still have the same issue, what is the expected form of recourse?

replacement or refund I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Any if the first repair turns out to still have the same issue, what is the expected form of recourse?

replacement or refund I assume?

You will almost certainly have to go through the Small Claims Procedure.

Next time build your own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the attempted repair is not permanent, then you can reject further attempts at repair and seek a replacement or refund (note refund, not store credit).

Fingers crossed that the repair works. Let's not jump too far ahead until the repair attempt has taken place.

Hopefully it works!

Can I request a refund instead of a replacement or is it the stores decision?

• Advertisement

Hopefully it works!

Sorry about my claims earlier but I do believe they weren't unfounded, numerous threads would back that up, but I'm not disputing they should be snipped, I'm supposed to be studying so I'm a bit snappy.

You consumer rights say that it is between you and the store to come to an agreement if not you need to let the small claims court decide. So either side could demand a certain course of action. They don't need to replace it with the same one either it just needs to be of equal or greater specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If replacement, it must be of equal or greater value.

RangeR wrote: »
    If replacement, it must be of equal or greater value.

It doesn't work exactly like that with electronics. If I have a faulty €1k gaming computer they cant replace it with a €2k business computer, which would be no good to me. Each of the invdividual specs has to be equal or greater (if you demand that). It can be interpreted as value to the customer rather than price.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hopefully it works!

It's up to you and the store to come to a reasonable agreement. That's open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 foxyfeckinloxy

i agree build your own. Good clean hobby Like fixing your own car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

So the OP has yet to even bring it in to PC world for the first time and people are talking about small claims court, refunds, speca of a replacement etc etc.

Jaysus - at least get it repaired first and stop jumping the gun - most pc repairs are terribly simple things. Yes, you'll hear about people who have issues, but rarely will the vast majority who get perfectly good repairs, go online - basically, with most things, you'll only ever hear from the few disgruntled people rather than the majority that have no problems.

So get it repaired and then and only then, if the repair has not worked, ask for what the next step should be.

well then.. I got the PC back from PC World last friday. Repair took 4 weeks. After testing it today - exact same problem!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you take a picture of the screen when the fault occurs ? What's the Spec of the computer ? Did you show the store the issue or did they even record the issue on the returns sheet ?

Maybe you need to bring the computer to the Tech Guys desk and insist they set it up so you can show them the issue ?
    It might just be a driver issue but hard to tell without further info.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Can you take a picture of the screen when the fault occurs ? What's the Spec of the computer ? Did you show the store the issue or did they even record the issue on the returns sheet ?

Maybe you need to bring the computer to the Tech Guys desk and insist they set it up so you can show them the issue ?
    It might just be a driver issue but hard to tell without further info.

Ken

I did show them the problem, all the staff who saw it admitted they saw what the issue was. They had the PC for a week in their store to test it. they did record it on their sheets yes. It was sent to Asus outlining the issue and Asus replaced the motherboard.

I think I'm within my rights to ask for a refund, all repairs must be permanent, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Can you take a smartphone video of the screen when the fault occurs ?
    what kind of smartphone do you own OP?

gugleguy wrote: »

He's not the OP. I am. I own an iPhone, why?

gugleguy wrote: »

Why have you misquoted me ?

@OP Can you post the model number of the PC ?

Ken

Why have you misquoted me ?

@OP Can you post the model number of the PC ?

Ken

Asus MK11AA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Did you try to find the latest MS approved drivers for the video chip? Could be as simple as that.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Did you try to find the latest MS approved drivers for the video chip? Could be as simple as that.

any links to where I can download those?

• Advertisement

I can't find an Asus computer with that model number OP, you sure you've read it correctly ?

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

any links to where I can download those?

Depends. According to your model spec (http://www.asus.com/Desktops/M11AA/#specifications) these come with different video chips. Intel, Nvidia or AMD.

You would get the latest drivers once you have identified your video chipset from the manufacturer. But first port of call would be the Asus support page for your desktop: http://www.asus.com/Desktops/M11AA/#support (Driver & Tools).

Pick what OS you have and then download the package (VGA) that matches your chipset. Ideally you find out what version of the driver you have installed first, but its very unlikely its up-to-date.

I would recommend this first in any case. Thats the first thing the guys would be doing if you send it back for repair. There is a very big chance this is not faulty hardware but a software (driver) problem.

dudara wrote: »
    If the attempted repair is not permanent, then you can reject further attempts at repair and seek a replacement or refund (note refund, not store credit).

Fingers crossed that the repair works. Let's not jump too far ahead until the repair attempt has taken place.

does this apply here? pc came back with same fault

Boskowski wrote: »
    Depends. According to your model spec (http://www.asus.com/Desktops/M11AA/#specifications) these come with different video chips. Intel, Nvidia or AMD.

You would get the latest drivers once you have identified your video chipset from the manufacturer. But first port of call would be the Asus support page for your desktop: http://www.asus.com/Desktops/M11AA/#support (Driver & Tools).

Pick what OS you have and then download the package (VGA) that matches your chipset. Ideally you find out what version of the driver you have installed first, but its very unlikely its up-to-date.

I would recommend this first in any case. Thats the first thing the guys would be doing if you send it back for repair. There is a very big chance this is not faulty hardware but a software (driver) problem.

I will try this on Monday, thanks.

PC World has the PC again for the weekend as the manager needs to talk to the general manager on monday to discuss what next step should be taken.

surely I can expect a refund after all this time (4 weeks repair time)??

I am calling into them tomorrow to discuss the outcome.

am I entitled to a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I am calling into them tomorrow to discuss the outcome.

am I entitled to a refund?

You're entitled to a replacement or refund. You will probably have to push for a refund.

You're entitled to a replacement or refund. You will probably have to push for a refund.

Just after getting a call.

They said I can pick another PC upto the value (€699)

... and they don't have any Mac's in stock. Damn.

Can I ask for a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You can. They don't have to oblige. They have offered a replacement after the repair failed to resolve.

Advertisement