Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy series

• 22-01-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

There is a post in the Gaming Bargains thread informing us that all the Final Fantasy games are cheap on PSN at the moment. My first introduction to FF was 7 on the Playstation and then 8 afterwards. I adored 7, like many many others. I also enjoyed 8 but found things like the cut scenes that play every single time you played a Guardian Force to be irritating. I'm not sure I could enjoy it again now.

I'd like to try a different one but haven't a clue which to pick. What is the general consensus on the best FF game? Are any of them better than 7? If any of them have things like guardian force cut scenes then forget it!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X, 7 & 8, decided to get 7 on the ps3 again and still love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

9 is tremendous fun and should be played.

I rank it above 8 quite easily.

I love the storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

VI is the best for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Robert Lawlor

Final Fantasy Xiii was pretty good all new grafics Xiii-2 wasn't as good tho but hopefully the new one where lightning returns will be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

9 was my favourite, so much so that everything that came after was hard for me to get into.

8 was a real struggle for me too, tried 3 times over the years to play it but i just never got into the characters and setting.

Not in the lest bit impressed with the series over the last few years, 13 was ok in terms of characters for me but it's linearity was horrific. I haven't played 13-2 and have no intention of playing lightning returns, though maybe they have improved over 13????? Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just be aware that the Final Fantasy games on the european version are the compromised PAL versions of the games that run slower and have black borders that mess up the aspect ratio. You're better off getting them from the US PSN, the versions there are a hell of a lot better.

I'd also recommend not getting the PS1 versions of FFIV, V and VI. The PS1 versions are really bad with messed up music and load times that totally ruin the games.

That leaves FFVII, VIII and IX. I'd got with IX, it's far and away my favourite of those but VII is a lot of fun as well. VIII is more an acquired taste and far too complex for it's own good so I'd play that after you've played those two.

Again I can't stress how much better the versions of these games are from the US PSN.

If you are interested in the SNES games then FFV and FFVI are superb, much better than FFVII as well. Just don't get the PS1 versions on PSN, you are better off emulating or getting versions based on the SNES games like on the Wii.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

calex71 wrote: »
    have no intention of playing lightning returns, though maybe they have improved over 13????? Anyone?

FFXIII-3 is looking great. Supposedly it's a spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile rather than a FF game and it's made by the same team from tri-ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFXIII-3 is looking great. Supposedly it's a spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile rather than a FF game and it's made by the same team from tri-ace.

Oh really ? That kind of changes my mind from writing it off completely to willing to see what they are bringing to the table now.

Edit: Whats this i spy on the xbox dashboard?????? An english demo for Lightning returns !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just be aware that the Final Fantasy games on the european version are the compromised PAL versions of the games that run slower and have black borders that mess up the aspect ratio. You're better off getting them from the US PSN, the versions there are a hell of a lot better.

Just checked and there doesn't appear to be a deal on'em in the US PSN store.

• Advertisement

Just checked and there doesn't appear to be a deal on'em in the US PSN store.

They usually have them as well regularly. Worth waiting. In the mean time the PSP games are great. FF Tactics and the PSP version of FFIV in particular are superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Play through ff6, one of my favorite games of all time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Final Fantasy XIII is probably my favourite. FFX is very good and is getting a HD re-release soon so watch for that. FFIX is held in high regard. FFVI is my favorite of the PS1 games. FFVIII is a lot of fun once you avoid summoning GFs and twig how the junction system works. FFVII is good but doesn't deserve anywhere near the lavish praise heaped upon it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The PSP version of FFIV, that's on sale on the PSN store is excellent and includes FFIV After Years Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

There really isn't a bad Final Fantasy game (XIV was broken, but has since been fixed) and they're all varied enough that you'll get different experiences with each one, so I'd suggest have a quick read of the synopsis of each game in the main series and see what story/world takes your fancy. (just remember that XI and XIV are MMO's).

There's plenty of dedicated forums comparing and contrasting games in the series as well, so wouldn't be a bad place to get some info as well as general chit-chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X, 7 & 8, decided to get 7 on the ps3 again and still love it

Love 7 it was my first FF game. I got iy on steam during Christmass for €4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I started playing FF7 again, but had to put it down for now ( damn you persona 4 ). Its a lot better then I remember from childhood. Its a lot damn more mature and dark then I remember too.
    Still plays and feels solid after so many years.

There really isn't a bad Final Fantasy game (XIV was broken, but has since been fixed) and they're all varied enough that you'll get different experiences with each one, so I'd suggest have a quick read of the synopsis of each game in the main series and see what story/world takes your fancy. (just remember that XI and XIV are MMO's).

There's plenty of dedicated forums comparing and contrasting games in the series as well, so wouldn't be a bad place to get some info as well as general chit-chat.

X-2 was not good but I did like the concepts of the dresss shere wich are back from the demo I have seen of XIII-3 XIII series was not the best and been completly healed after every battle was crap. Also the Crystirium was the worst way of leveling up that and the drawing of magic in VIII

X-2 was not good but I did like the concepts of the dresss shere wich are back from the demo I have seen of XIII-3 XIII series was not the best and been completly healed after every battle was crap. Also the Crystirium was the worst way of leveling up that and the drawing of magic in VIII

It saddens to me to hear people liking XIII to be honest.

I much, much preferred the oft-lambasted FFX-2 (once you get past the intro movie of course).

The PSP version of FFIV, that's on sale on the PSN store is excellent and includes FFIV After Years Story.

I picked this up two years ago but am stuck halfway though it because I saved on the World Map and have no idea where or what I am supposed to do next.

Gotta get back to it.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    It saddens to me to hear people liking XIII to be honest.

I much, much preferred the oft-lambasted FFX-2 (once you get past the intro movie of course).

It was playable had good graphics and the battles were unique with the paradym shifts. Some of the battles were long with some thought on how you finished them. It is not a great game by any means but I would rate it over X-2 it was just so corny having to get all the spheres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

XIII was at least sufficiently difficult. First Final Fantasy to ever really give me a hard time with the story bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I downloaded FF7 from PSN there 2-3 days ago, wow the game hasn't lost its touch at all. I actually appreciate the character build up & connection a lot better now!

I don't remember the language being so mature though, when I played it back when I was like 8-9 I don't remember Barrett calling me a "f**king R**ard" :O I thought they blanked out all the mature language but I guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

FF IX is tied with FF VII in terms of my #1 spot.

10/X would be the next on my list, I absolutely loved the storyline and though I was young playing it it did surprise me in parts, I won't spoil anything though but I thought it definitely worth playing if you can.

8 doesn't come close, I just didn't like it and felt it was too significant a departure from 7 and 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

My opinions on the games in order.

FFVIII is probably my favourite. I really loved the style and setting and enjoyed the complexities of the draw system.
    FFVII is a close second. The story just blew me away and the materia system is great.
    FFX is very good. Blitzball was great fun and the sphere grid system is excellent.
    FFV had a fun job system. I enjoyed it a lot.
    FFVI had a great story and was a lot of fun. I missed the job system though.
    FFIX I didn't enjoy. The system seemed good, but the story and graphics were a bit cartoony for my tastes and I was never able to stomach playing it for long enough to get into it. If you like that kind of thing, it's by all accounts a great game.
    FFI has not aged well, the story is pretty basic as is the combat.
    I don't remember any details about FFII, III or IV. I've definitely played them, but don't remember them as being especially good or bad.
    FFXIII was my least favourite by far. The story had an extremely poor delivery, requiring you to constantly read through reams of text in your journal to follow it. The combat was detached from you and you spent most of your time hitting the auto attack button to be quicker. The fact that if your leader died it was game over as opposed to a party wipe meant that revive was less useful on non-leaders and your leader needed to be someone with a fair bit of HP. The visuals were amazing, but that wasn't enough. It's also disappointingly short and small.

FFXI was an MMO and I thought it was pretty fun. Not really a Final Fantasy game though (or at least not one of the numbered ones).

I've never played FFXII, though I hear it's good. I've also never played FFX-2 or FFXIII-2.

VII for me starts good but then dies a bit once you leave Midgar and becomes very like every other RPG. Found the materia system to be very basic in hindsight, the game is very easy as well which means outside of the optional bosses there's no real reason to play around with it.

I think you are mixing up FFV and FFIV. FFV had the job system. For battle system it's one of the greatest RPGs ever made. It's gloriously broken and lots of fun to experiment. FFIV is quite basic in story but is wonderfully paced and it's the only game in the series where the ATB system actually works well.

FF1 is very basic now but as a 8-bit RPG it's up there with the best. Dragon Quest 3 and 4 are way better though and I prefer Phantasy Star.

FF2 (not to be confused with FF2 on SNES which is FF4) is a total disaster, a really terrible game. They did manage to make it playable in the GBA and PSP version which are ok.

FF3 is kind of dull. It has a job system but it was just aping the job system of Dragon Quest at the time and doing it badly. It was in FFV that it really got good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone tried FF VI on android?

Good/bad port?

Meant to be good even if it looks horrible. The high res characters against the SNES backdrops looks very jarring.

Gandalph wrote: »
    I downloaded FF7 from PSN there 2-3 days ago, wow the game hasn't lost its touch at all. I actually appreciate the character build up & connection a lot better now!

I don't remember the language being so mature though, when I played it back when I was like 8-9 I don't remember Barrett calling me a "f**king R**ard" :O I thought they blanked out all the mature language but I guess not.

I downloaded the game on Steam over Christmas and the language is blanked ot like you would have quoted it there. I downloaded FFIX on PSN last night only played as far as boss in evil woods but its fun. Died at the boss needed to level a bit only at level 3 that and I try to steal all the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

VII followed by X for me.
    Bought VI off PSN recently. Only played it a bit but it seems very good so far too.

Got XIII on the PS3 and was really looking forward to it as I hadn't played a FF game in some time. MAJOR dissapointment.

Advertisement