Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy series

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Grimebox wrote: »
    I just bought Chrono Trigger on android after reading this thread to find it doesn't work at all. Lame.

Its amazing to see someone else have the exact same complaint about ff7 that I had. I genuinely thought midgar was the entire planet when I first played it. It was like a vast cyber-punk world being killed by those reactors. I was really disappointed when I first left to see it was this tiny circular city.

The world map markers aren't to scale!

Midgar is the biggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

noodler wrote: »
    The world map markers aren't to scale!

Midgar is the biggest!
    What?

Wait!

What?!

You're telling me chocbos aren't the size of cities..what!?

I've been sold a lie! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

You must be kidding. VII's story completely falls apart after the wonderful Midgar segment at the start though it does improve towards the end (coinciding with the return to Midgar funnily enough). The only thing separating the gameplay of VII's characters were limit breaks. VI's cast each have a unique skill or skillset which adds a level of strategy to choosing a party whereas any party in VII will do as long as you have materia.

VI's unique skills are basically the same as VII's limit breaks. Anyway most of those unique skills became useless once you got magicite. After a point I was only really using Sabin's blitz. I'm pretty sure Edgar just becomes completely worthless later on. Cyan was always crap, no-one uses him.

There's nothing particularly strategic about either game but at least with VII I enjoyed the different effects certain materia combinations had depending on whether they were in a linked slot or in armour or weapons. VI you just equiped a stone and learned a ton of spells and got rid of it.

They're both great games but the ****-flinging that goes on between fans of either is ridiculous. VII's story is fine I think. It becomes much more interesting when it introduces Sephiroth and Jenova. Just like VI becomes better when Kefka is your main enemy, not the Empire/.

As for VII aging worse, well I guess it has. It's blockiness lends it a cute cubist charm though. I find X harder to look at now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least in FFVI you can min max your characters and there's some really crazy armour and weapon combos that can be fun to mess with. FFVII you are really levelling up materia rather than characters. Stat increases from espers stick in FFVI.

As for FFVII aging worse it's not the graphics that are the worse offender for me. It's more that it's such a bizarre game that's a real product of it's time. there's so much weird half baked ideas thrown in there. The whole game is a mess from the clashes in art style between the art to the weird shifts in tone and the silly mini-games. I have to admit the weirdness is a lot of the games charm now. Doubt we'll ever get such another RPG that should have been a complete disaster like FFVII yet manages to somehow work.

By coincidence there's a great article on FFVI released today:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/daily-classic-final-fantasy-vi-captured-the-essence-of-a-franchise

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVII you are really levelling up materia rather than characters.

That isn't true at all. It takes an eternity for a materia to level up until you get to disc 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

snausages wrote: »
    That isn't true at all. It takes an eternity for a materia to level up until you get to disc 2.

What I mean is that there's so little variation in character base stats that pretty much every character is a blank slate in FFVII only the materia you equip matters. Outside of rarely used limit breaks and the fact that Barret has a gun (which I'm pretty sure is useful in only one fight in the entire game) they are all pretty much the same.

What I mean is that there's so little variation in character base stats that pretty much every character is a blank slate in FFVII only the materia you equip matters. Outside of rarely used limit breaks and the fact that Barret has a gun (which I'm pretty sure is useful in only one fight in the entire game) they are all pretty much the same.

Having a gun means you can place him in the back row and still deal full damage. It's a significant advantage.

I think it says a lot that that ability alone is the only thing really different between characters outside of limit breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

the fact that Barret has a gun (which I'm pretty sure is useful in only one fight in the entire game) they are all pretty much the same.
    What about good owl vince?:mad:

Fanboys unite!

j/k :pac:

I've seen daylight....

Yuffie as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement